Fringer + Nikon AF-S 500mm f5.6 PF anybody got experience?

Started Aug 13, 2021 | Questions
LarsPolarBear
LarsPolarBear Contributing Member • Posts: 584
Fringer + Nikon AF-S 500mm f5.6 PF anybody got experience?

Dear Forum Members,

The other day I had a “frustrating” encounter with a fellow wildlife photographer.  We were waiting for a bird to show up and got into talking, she then showed me some of her photos, and it became very fast clear to me, that her gear was significantly superior regarding sharpness than my Fuji 100-400mm (I was aware before that the Fuji was not the best in the market, but the difference here was quite significant).  Turns out that she was shooting a Nikon D500 with the AF-S 500mm f5.6 PF lens.  I have had the D500 on my list of interesting cameras when I got the X-S10, but ruled it out due to size, weight and being a DSLR.

Now, my question, does anyone have experience with a smart adapter (e.g. all functions incl. AF as normal) and the Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF.  While I am interested in general shooting ability and results, I am also especially interested in the AF performance as well as stabilization.  I guess it doesn’t work in conjunction with the IBIS, but how good is the IS system of the lens alone (IBIS alone is probably worse that lens IS alone).  How is your experience regarding sharpness and handling of the lens, especially handheld.

Anything else worth while mentioning would be  appreciated.

Thanks a lit for your help!!!

Lars

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,406
Re: Fringer + Nikon AF-S 500mm f5.6 PF anybody got experience?

Hi Lars,

There is at least one forum member using the Nikon 500mm PF with a Fringer Pro and he has shown some impressive images. I've tried the lens on a D500 and it's super sharp, fast focusing and the IS is very effective.  The only time I'd think you might see a difference in sharpness is in a large crop as the Fuji 100-400 is a sharp lens.  If you are noticing a difference in the field looking at the LCD, even when blowing up, there might be something up with your 100-400 or your technique.

I hope the member using this combination can fill in the gaps for the Fuji side.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H2S Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II XF 90mm +11 more
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,861

Ive no doubt the nikon 500 is an excellent lens but what you may gain in sharpness you will loose in flexibilty with the prime vs zoom but you will also loose native af ability with the fringer.

For the money you could get an a7riv and the new tamron 100-500 fe mount or the sony 200-600 or sigma 150-600.

Morris0

maltmoose wrote:

Ive no doubt the nikon 500 is an excellent lens but what you may gain in sharpness you will loose in flexibilty with the prime vs zoom but you will also loose native af ability with the fringer.

For the money you could get an a7riv and the new tamron 100-500 fe mount or the sony 200-600 or sigma 150-600.

"loose native af ability with the fringer."

What does that mean?

Morris

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H2S Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II XF 90mm +11 more

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

What does that mean?

Morris

Ok so i made a typo..

Sure adapting lenses works, i use them too but bottom line is adapted lenses dont perform as well as non adapted lenses which is the point im making. If they really want the nikon 500mm, then getting the nikon d500 would perform better than adapting it.

An all canon, all nikon or all sony setup is what id do if spending loads on high quality telephoto lenses.

Morris0

maltmoose wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

What does that mean?

Morris

Ok so i made a typo..

Sure adapting lenses works, i use them too but bottom line is adapted lenses dont perform as well as non adapted lenses which is the point im making. If they really want the nikon 500mm, then getting the nikon d500 would perform better than adapting it.

An all canon, all nikon or all sony setup is what id do if spending loads on high quality telephoto lenses.

I disagree.  The Fringer Pro II adapter is super and I get the same performance with lens on lens manufactures' body as well as Fuji lens on Fuji body.

I have seen what you are saying with other adapters and brands, not in this case.

Morris

Artur Darulewski Senior Member • Posts: 1,140

maltmoose wrote:

Sure adapting lenses works, i use them too but bottom line is adapted lenses dont perform as well as non adapted lenses which is the point im making.

I didn't hear any complains from Sony users about about  EF-mount sigmas (100-400 or 150-600) working with A7x bodies through sigma adapter.

I have both XF 100-400 and EF Sigma 150-600 + fringer and I must admit that there's no significant difference in AF performance between both lenses on my X-T3. I expect my sigma should perform better with C7D2 or C1Dx, but it seems that Fuji AF is the bottleneck here.

Cheers,

Artur

Artur Darulewski's gear list:Artur Darulewski's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

What does that mean?

Morris

Ok so i made a typo..

I disagree. The Fringer Pro II adapter is super and I get the same performance with lens on lens manufactures' body as well as Fuji lens on Fuji body.

I have seen what you are saying with other adapters and brands, not in this case.

Morris

If you say so.

I know basic af is fine when youre on the subject but whats it like if you loose focus and have to reaquire focus or go short to long focal length or close up to far and back or objects moving towards you. Is it all native performance?

Artur Darulewski wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Sure adapting lenses works, i use them too but bottom line is adapted lenses dont perform as well as non adapted lenses which is the point im making.

I didn't hear any complains from Sony users about about EF-mount sigmas (100-400 or 150-600) working with A7x bodies through sigma adapter.

I have both XF 100-400 and EF Sigma 150-600 + fringer and I must admit that there's no significant difference in AF performance between both lenses on my X-T3. I expect my sigma should perform better with C7D2 or C1Dx, but it seems that Fuji AF is the bottleneck here.

Cheers,

Artur

I have a sony and mc11, works well on the newer models, but its not quite native performance.

Morris0

maltmoose wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

What does that mean?

Morris

Ok so i made a typo..

I disagree. The Fringer Pro II adapter is super and I get the same performance with lens on lens manufactures' body as well as Fuji lens on Fuji body.

Morris

If you say so.

I know basic af is fine when youre on the subject but whats it like if you loose focus and have to reaquire focus

This is caused by user error, not the adapter, camera or lens. A talented photographer will get the subject back i the finder and achieve focus.

or go short to long focal length or close up to far and back or objects moving towards you. Is it all native performance?

Works as well as native lenses.

I shoot birds in flight regularly, a test of both the photographer and the system. Having shot with Nikon SLRs when they were the top of the game, I can easily say that my adapted Sigma 150-600 C on Fuji X-T3 dose as well as my Sigma 150-600 S did on my D500. I get stunning results.

Morris

Morris0

maltmoose wrote:

Artur Darulewski wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

I didn't hear any complains from Sony users about about EF-mount sigmas (100-400 or 150-600) working with A7x bodies through sigma adapter.

Cheers,

Artur

I have a sony and mc11, works well on the newer models, but its not quite native performance.

That is not a Fringer adapter.  You are not talking from direct experience. I agree with your assessment of your gear.

Morris

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

What does that mean?

Morris

Ok so i made a typo..

Morris

If you say so.

I know basic af is fine when youre on the subject but whats it like if you loose focus and have to reaquire focus

This is caused by user error, not the adapter, camera or lens. A talented photographer will get the subject back i the finder and achieve focus.

or go short to long focal length or close up to far and back or objects moving towards you. Is it all native performance?

I shoot birds in flight regularly, a test of both the photographer and the system. Having shot with Nikon SLRs when they were the top of the game, I can easily say that my adapted Sigma 150-600 C on Fuji X-T3 dose as well as my Sigma 150-600 S did on my D500. I get stunning results.

Morris

lovely photos.

Your the first person ive come across that says the xt3 af is up there with the D500. I think we must have different tolerances.

Morris0

maltmoose wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

What does that mean?

Morris

Ok so i made a typo..

Morris

If you say so.

Morris

lovely photos.

Your the first person ive come across that says the xt3 af is up there with the D500. I think we must have different tolerance

There focus systems are very different and both have strengths and weaknesses. There are many guides to seating up the D500 focus system including the excellent one provided by Nikon. Fuji's weakness is the lack of these guides. I'm only aware of three with mine being one of them:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1594539/0

Fuji's defaults for action are inadequate.  Many have followed my guide and are quite happy.  A few have tweaked my settings based on their own style and situation.  Shooting in very low contrast, the D500 has a slight edge.  Shooting with a busy background the X-T3 is superior.  Shooting into a very bright background the X-T3 will sometimes struggle when the sun is in the frame yet you can't do that with a D500 as it's too bright and can harm your eye.

Morris

LarsPolarBear
OP LarsPolarBear Contributing Member • Posts: 584
Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for your comments and the discussion, appreciate your thoughts.

It is good to know that the Fringer seems to be a very capable adapter- thanks Morris for that insight!

I would still appreciate if there is someone out there who is using the exact combination I am looking for, just to tell me how there experience is and if they would recommend this combo.

Again, thanks to all, that have commented so far.

Lars

And-roid
And-roid Senior Member • Posts: 3,010
Re: Thanks!

LarsPolarBear wrote:

Thanks to all of you for your comments and the discussion, appreciate your thoughts.

It is good to know that the Fringer seems to be a very capable adapter- thanks Morris for that insight!

I would still appreciate if there is someone out there who is using the exact combination I am looking for, just to tell me how there experience is and if they would recommend this combo.

Again, thanks to all, that have commented so far.

Lars

A quick point?

Are you using mechanical shutter with the 100-400?

And-roid's gear list:And-roid's gear list
Fujifilm X-H2 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 18-120mm F4 LM PZ WR +2 more
LarsPolarBear
yes, I use MS most of the time. n/t

No text.

And-roid
Re: yes, I use MS most of the time. n/t

LarsPolarBear wrote:

With a heavy heart I sold my X-S10, I can't prove it but I feel shutter-shock might be an issue with the mechanical shutter, whilst it should only impact slower shutter speeds, ultimately I think x-t3/x-t4 had better pixel sharpness. Before you invest in such an expensive lens I'd try a different body?

Fujifilm X-H2 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 18-120mm F4 LM PZ WR +2 more
LarsPolarBear
Shutter Shock

And-roid wrote:

LarsPolarBear wrote:

With a heavy heart I sold my X-S10, I can't prove it but I feel shutter-shock might be an issue with the mechanical shutter, whilst it should only impact slower shutter speeds, ultimately I think x-t3/x-t4 had better pixel sharpness. Before you invest in such an expensive lens I'd try a different body?

Thank you And-roid,

I had been thinking about shutter shock and will be testing it in the near future, since it normally only appears within a certain shutter range.  I will try to shoot something with the range of 1/60 s to 1/2000 s, it should not be an issue at the higher speeds above 1/125s, normally… we will see…

However, just checked with my camera store here in Singapore, seems getting this lens is rather difficult, since it is constantly sold out… 😳

Well, anyway, thanks fir your comment.

Lars

Morris0
Re: Shutter Shock

LarsPolarBear wrote:

And-roid wrote:

LarsPolarBear wrote:

Thank you And-roid,

I had been thinking about shutter shock and will be testing it in the near future, since it normally only appears within a certain shutter range. I will try to shoot something with the range of 1/60 s to 1/2000 s, it should not be an issue at the higher speeds above 1/125s, normally… we will see…

However, just checked with my camera store here in Singapore, seems getting this lens is rather difficult, since it is constantly sold out… 😳

Lars

Almost everyone that owns one got an a waiting list

Morris

And-roid
Re: Shutter Shock

LarsPolarBear wrote:

And-roid wrote:

LarsPolarBear wrote:

Thank you And-roid,

I had been thinking about shutter shock and will be testing it in the near future, since it normally only appears within a certain shutter range. I will try to shoot something with the range of 1/60 s to 1/2000 s, it should not be an issue at the higher speeds above 1/125s, normally… we will see…

Lars

Honestly, I'm not sure if its a combination of the ibis module too, the best thing Fuji could do is add the electronic first curtain, this is standard across all Olympus ibis bodies and apparently introduced to counter these minute vibrations in compact bodies with ibis, I think it was an oversight by Fuji, not as if they dont have the ability to add it.

It will be easier to rent an x-t4/x-t3 than get your hands on a 500mm Nikon lens by the sound of it!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads