Topaz running SLOW on new laptop

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Topaz running SLOW on new laptop

I have a new laptop running Windows 10 Professional with 64G RAM and NVidea Quadropro T2000. Specs are WAY BETTER than my prior laptop with an older Nvidea card and only 16G RAM. And yet I just tried running Sharpen AI on the new laptop and after 5 minutes it's still only half way through processing the image. The old laptop would have processed the image in under a minute.

What settings do I need to change on my Nvidea card through the Nvidea panel? And FYI there's also an Intel UHD Graphics adapter showing in my Device Manager. Do I need to somehow disable it so that Sharpen AI and the other Topaz Ai products can use the better graphics card? Hope you can help!!!

Lan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,324
Re: Topaz running SLOW on new laptop

Check your Topaz preferences, it's possible that you have CPU rendering (not GPU) enabled?

stevevp Regular Member • Posts: 448

Maybe check with Topaz how well their programs work with a Quadro GPU?

stevevp's gear list:stevevp's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +2 more
brick33308
OP brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188

Lan wrote:

Check your Topaz preferences, it's possible that you have CPU rendering (not GPU) enabled?

thanks you're right it wasn't on GPU. It's much faster but still not faster than my old laptop with less memory. I'll reach out to Topaz. Thanks for the suggestion.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 23,353

brick33308 wrote:

Lan wrote:

thanks you're right it wasn't on GPU. It's much faster but still not faster than my old laptop with less memory. I'll reach out to Topaz. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does the VRAM meet Topaz specs?

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,285

brick33308 wrote:

I have a new laptop running Windows 10 Professional with 64G RAM and NVidea Quadropro T2000. Specs are WAY BETTER than my prior laptop with an older Nvidea card and only 16G RAM. And yet I just tried running Sharpen AI on the new laptop and after 5 minutes it's still only half way through processing the image. The old laptop would have processed the image in under a minute.

What settings do I need to change on my Nvidea card through the Nvidea panel? And FYI there's also an Intel UHD Graphics adapter showing in my Device Manager. Do I need to somehow disable it so that Sharpen AI and the other Topaz Ai products can use the better graphics card? Hope you can help!!!

Now that you’ve enabled Topaz to use the gpu instead of the cpu, you need to change the settings in windows/NVIDIA to ensure that you’re using the “highest performance” modes.

brick33308

Adam2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Now that you’ve enabled Topaz to use the gpu instead of the cpu, you need to change the settings in windows/NVIDIA to ensure that you’re using the “highest performance” modes.

I looked at the NVIDEA control panel and don't see an option for "highest performance". Instead the only mention of high performance is choosing my NIVIDIEA card over the CPU. Is that what you're referring to?

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 462

How much memory does your video card have?

According to

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-T2000-Laptop-Graphics-Card.423971.0.html

the maximum memory is 4Gb.

brick33308 wrote:

Adam2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

I looked at the NVIDEA control panel and don't see an option for "highest performance". Instead the only mention of high performance is choosing my NIVIDIEA card over the CPU. Is that what you're referring to?

It really depends on the NVidia control panel and whether it allows one to assign properties to the programs. Newer versions are less user transparent and tend to integrate more fully with the OS.

In your Windows settings, go to system > graphics setup (bottom of the page) and click on it. You'll see a dialogue box like this:

Click on the choose an app to set preference and hit browse.  Find your Topaz or whatever you want the OS to assign and add it to the list.  Click on the icon and then options and make sure "high performance" is checked (and that it indicates your video card and not the on board gpu is active).

You can try the Hardware accelerated gpu option and turn it on (it requires a system reset) to see if it makes any difference.  This is really geared towards gaming and frame management so it may not have any significant effect on your Topaz speed.  Hopefully, this helps?

brick33308

Adam2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Adam2 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

It really depends on the NVidia control panel and whether it allows one to assign properties to the programs. Newer versions are less user transparent and tend to integrate more fully with the OS.

In your Windows settings, go to system > graphics setup (bottom of the page) and click on it. You'll see a dialogue box like this:

Click on the choose an app to set preference and hit browse. Find your Topaz or whatever you want the OS to assign and add it to the list. Click on the icon and then options and make sure "high performance" is checked (and that it indicates your video card and not the on board gpu is active).

You can try the Hardware accelerated gpu option and turn it on (it requires a system reset) to see if it makes any difference. This is really geared towards gaming and frame management so it may not have any significant effect on your Topaz speed. Hopefully, this helps?

I can't find the Topaz apps when browsing to chose the app

poppyjk
poppyjk Senior Member • Posts: 1,108

Adam2

Thanks for this tip.  For years I had used the Nvidia Control Panel to set preferences between integrated gpu and discrete gpu.  I was unaware of the procedure you outlined.

Your recommendation is much more effective in improving performance.  It even perceptibly improves Chrome web browser, FastStone viewer and others.

-- hide signature --

"Well done is better than well said" - Benjamin Franklin
You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post in DPR forums but not photos entered in Challenges.

poppyjk's gear list:poppyjk's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +5 more
poppyjk

brick33308 wrote:

Go to the folder Program Files which is likely on your C drive.

Go to the folder Topaz Labs LLC.

Go to the folder Topaz DeNoise AI.

Scroll down to the Topaz Denoise AI application.  The one with the green icon next to it.

Select it and Add.

Do the same for Topaz Sharpen AI.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post in DPR forums but not photos entered in Challenges.

Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,794

brick33308 wrote:

C>Program Files >Topaz Labs LLC>Topaz (application name)>Topaz (application name).exe

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR +5 more
brick33308

poppyjk wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Scroll down to the Topaz Denoise AI application. The one with the green icon next to it.

Select it and Add.

Good luck.

got it thanks! I added both and selected them as high performance in graphic settings. Then I re-ran Sharpen AI on my 133MG image, and it sped up processing time from 1 min 40 seconds to 1 min 15 seconds. Given the size of the image, what do you think of that processing time? And my friend who has basically same laptop as I do claims he ran Sharpen AI on my image in 30 seconds.

Glad I could help.

brick33308 wrote:

poppyjk wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Scroll down to the Topaz Denoise AI application. The one with the green icon next to it.

Select it and Add.

Good luck.

got it thanks! I added both and selected them as high performance in graphic settings. Then I re-ran Sharpen AI on my 133MG image, and it sped up processing time from 1 min 40 seconds to 1 min 15 seconds. Given the size of the image, what do you think of that processing time? And my friend who has basically same laptop as I do claims he ran Sharpen AI on my image in 30 seconds.

That processing time is not out of the realm of normalcy for such a large image.  This is one of the disadvantages of Denoise and sharpen AI.  Alternatively, you could try DxO or On1 Nonoise.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 462

Processing time for previews on similar sized images is only a few seconds on my core i7 9th Gen, 16GB RAM and RTX2060 GPU.

Saving the image after processing takes about 10 secs max.

The processing speed for Topaz is heavily dependent on how much grunt your pc/device has.

brick33308

Kaspah wrote:

Processing time for previews on similar sized images is only a few seconds on my core i7 9th Gen, 16GB RAM and RTX2060 GPU.

Saving the image after processing takes about 10 secs max.

The processing speed for Topaz is heavily dependent on how much grunt your pc/device has.

I've got 64G memory running on an Intel 10th gen processor, shouldn't that be enough to match your speeds?

poppyjk

The RTX 2060 significantly outperforms the Quadro T 2000.

I think the processing times you are getting with the T 2000 are okay given the specs of that graphics card.

Your cpu and ram are not really relevant when using Topaz AI products with preferences set to use the gpu.

Screenshot from notebookcheck.com

-- hide signature --

brick33308

poppyjk wrote:

The RTX 2060 significantly outperforms the Quadro T 2000.

I think the processing times you are getting with the T 2000 are okay given the specs of that graphics card.

Your cpu and ram are not really relevant when using Topaz AI products with preferences set to use the gpu.

Screenshot from notebookcheck.com

wish I had spoken to you before purchasing. Someone on DPR whose opinion I respect told me that the graphics card wasn't that important in terms of using Topaz. I guess he was assuming I would be using CPU. And what I don't understand is why, with my CPU and memory, I'm getting such ho hum performance.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads