just got a new r, have a couple of questions

Started 9 months ago | Questions
simonharris Regular Member • Posts: 185
just got a new r, have a couple of questions

Hi All,

Just picked up my new R and have a couple of questions I hope some kind person can help me with.

1.  How do you attach the camera to the computer to download images considering it doesnt come with a usb lead that will plug into a normal sized USB port on the windows PC I use?  I am in Australia so maybe Canon short changed us ?

2.  How quick is it to down load images by wi fi or Bluetooth?  If its quicker with a cable

I will use a cable, providing I can get one.

3.   I use l series EF lenses and I tried each one on the camera which was fine except my 50mm wasn't recognised by the camera....  what gives?  I checked the lens on one of my other bodies and its working fine.   Is this a known issue?

I would be grateful  if someone could help me with any of these queries.

Kind Regards,

Simon.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Laqup Regular Member • Posts: 140
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions
2

simonharris wrote:

1. How do you attach the camera to the computer to download images considering it doesnt come with a usb lead that will plug into a normal sized USB port on the windows PC I use? I am in Australia so maybe Canon short changed us ?

2. How quick is it to down load images by wi fi or Bluetooth? If its quicker with a cable

I will use a cable, providing I can get one.

3. I use l series EF lenses and I tried each one on the camera which was fine except my 50mm wasn't recognised by the camera.... what gives? I checked the lens on one of my other bodies and its working fine. Is this a known issue?

I would be grateful if someone could help me with any of these queries.

Kind Regards,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

your text is somewhat lacking information.

1. The EOS-R has a Type-C USB connector. I don't know which cable was in your box and what ports your PC can provide, my guess is that the EOS R comes with a USB Type-C to USB Type-C cable out of the box. If your PC does not have a a Type-C USB slot then check any store of your choice for a USB cable that fits your setup. USB cables come and work in all flavors and are quite cheap.

My guess is that you want something like this:

2. Via cable will probably be quicker, but this is also dependent on your infrastructe. My solution is to use an external card reader which is probably the fastest option and quite cheap as well.

3. Which 50mm? And what do you mean by "not recognized"? What functionality are you missing? If it is a full manual lense do not forget to enable "Release Shutter w/o Lens".

 Laqup's gear list:Laqup's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Canon EOS R +32 more
drsnoopy Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions

simonharris wrote:

Hi All,

Just picked up my new R and have a couple of questions I hope some kind person can help me with.

1. How do you attach the camera to the computer to download images considering it doesnt come with a usb lead that will plug into a normal sized USB port on the windows PC I use? I am in Australia so maybe Canon short changed us ?

2. How quick is it to down load images by wi fi or Bluetooth? If its quicker with a cable

I will use a cable, providing I can get one.

3. I use l series EF lenses and I tried each one on the camera which was fine except my 50mm wasn't recognised by the camera.... what gives? I checked the lens on one of my other bodies and its working fine. Is this a known issue?

I would be grateful if someone could help me with any of these queries.

Kind Regards,

Simon.

You need a usb-c to usb-a cable, these are cheap and can be bought in most hardware or supermarket stores, in the mobile phone section.  You may already have one if you own a recent android phone or tablet, or a GoPro camera. 
Or just use an SD card reader, many laptops and most desktops have a card reader.  If not, get an external one.

I assume you mean a Canon 50mm EF lens? Should be fine, all my EF L and non-L lenses work perfectly with the adapter on the R, including 50/1.8 and 50/1.4.  Check the contacts on the lens are clean (give a gentle wipe with a lens cleaner or alcohol swab, or use an eraser). If this doesn’t resolve it, it sounds as if there is a problem with the lens. Also check you have rotated it all the way until it clicks solidly into place.

OP simonharris Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions

Thanks so much folks, I appreciate the answers.

Surprised that in my country cam doesn't come with "correct" cable for common PC's.

With regard to the lens, it's a 50mm 1.8.

Over here we call them "plastic fantastic". Problaby the same in your country. When I say it's not recognised by the camera, I mean that when I look at the lcd screen on the top of the camera  there is no f stop number and trying to change it has no effect. Also, it doesn't react to auto focus inputs. It's just "dead".

As I said, it works fine on my other camera bodies.

avidly lucid Regular Member • Posts: 162
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions

That's a Canon brand EF 50mm 1.8? No reason it shouldn't work when using a Canon adapter.  Other brands may not work properly on the R even if they work on other Canon cameras. Updating the lens firmware may help.

Maybe you have a Gray Market camera. Sometimes they don't come with the proper cables. See: https://www.dpreview.com/news/3973497499/canon-publishes-microsite-to-bring-awareness-to-counterfeit-gray-market-canon-products

As others have said, downloading directly from the SD card to the computer is usually easier than trying to connect the camera to the computer.

Laqup Regular Member • Posts: 140
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions

simonharris wrote:

Surprised that in my country cam doesn't come with "correct" cable for common PC's.

This is not meant as an insult, but:

Your understanding of "correct cable" and "common PCs" is probably a bit outdated. This has nothing to do with "your country", as computer hardware standards are the same all over the globe.

Chances are high that a PC or Notebook or Tablet that was bought in the last 3 years already has USB Type-C ports. Especially mobile devices often come without the Type-A connectors nowadays. Many smartphones typically also include only a Type-C to Type-C cable with the charger offering a sinlge Type-C port instead of the "legacy" Type-A port.

For example: Check the DELL XPS-15-9500. Not a single Type-A port to be seen but 3 Type-C ports.

If you are using a desktop PC check the backpanel of your motherboard. Maybe you have the matching port there. Many old pc cases are not equipped with dedicated USB Type-C ports, the backpanel of the motherboard might have them nevertheless. Sometimes there are extension cards that can be inserted in the pc case as well.

 Laqup's gear list:Laqup's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Canon EOS R +32 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 29,007
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions
1

simonharris wrote:

Hi All,

Just picked up my new R and have a couple of questions I hope some kind person can help me with.

1. How do you attach the camera to the computer to download images considering it doesnt come with a usb lead that will plug into a normal sized USB port on the windows PC I use? I am in Australia so maybe Canon short changed us ?

2. How quick is it to down load images by wi fi or Bluetooth? If its quicker with a cable

Will be quicker with a cable.  But personally I've never done this; always used a card reader attached to the computer.  This is typically faster, and for me more convenient as I don't have to have the camera tethered to the computer.

I will use a cable, providing I can get one.

3. I use l series EF lenses and I tried each one on the camera which was fine except my 50mm wasn't recognised by the camera.... what gives? I checked the lens on one of my other bodies and its working fine. Is this a known issue?

My 50mm f/1.8 works ok on the R6 with a Viltrox adapter.  Not aware of any issues with any Canon EF 50mm lenses.

Sittatunga Veteran Member • Posts: 4,254
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions

simonharris wrote:

...    When I say it's not recognised by the camera, I mean that when I look at the lcd screen on the top of the camera there is no f stop number and trying to change it has no effect. Also, it doesn't react to auto focus inputs. It's just "dead".

As I said, it works fine on my other camera bodies.

I had that problem when I bought a new 5Ds.  My 30 year old 50mm f/1.8 (with the focussing scale) did the same on the 5Ds even though it was happily working on my EOS R.  I cleaned the camera and lens contacts with isopropyl alcohol and now it works fine on all my EOS cameras.

MikeJ9116 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,077
Re: A third vote for a card reader

n/t

Dan W Senior Member • Posts: 1,017
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions

Not sure about that lens but most newer lenses from Canon are firmware upgradable while mounted to the body. What body do you use? Can you go to the firmware update in the menu and does it show your lens firmware version on your new R? If your go to Canon's website and find that lens, there should be a software tab and firmware latest and greatest.

You just unzip the file and put the firmware in the root directory of your shooting card. Put it back in your camera, click on the Firmware update tab in the menu and it will show you what is installed and ask you if you want to update to the newer version.

I don't know this to be fact but it really just sounds like a firmware issue...

Personally, I would buy a SD card reader if your computer doesn't have a SD slot. I wouldn't want to plug in my camera every time I offload my card. I have an iMac that has a SD card slot in the back of the computer, not the best place for it in my office as its against a wall. So I have a dedicated reader that I keep plugged in and sits just below the monitor.

 Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +3 more
catastrophe Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions

I may be wrong but I believe the the cable supplied is PD compatible. PD requires that the source and sink have PD compatible USB-C interfaces and that the cable can operate with the higher voltages and currents associated with PD

OP simonharris Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions

Thanks everyone for your input. We'll I sorted out the lens issue by taking your advice.

I used metho to clean the contacts on the lens and voila!  I was very surprised as the contacts looked to be pristine.  It's a good day when you learn something.

davel33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: A third vote for a card reader

I find a good card reader is a LOT faster then usb to the camera.  I use a Lexar dual slot SD and CF reader.

-- hide signature --

"Just one more Lens, I promise....."
Dave

 davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 70-200 F4 L Canon RF 14-35mm F4L IS USM +27 more
JPAlbert Senior Member • Posts: 1,171
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions
1

Get a USB card reader.

Easier to use...

2ndact scene1 Contributing Member • Posts: 602
Re: just got a new r, have a couple of questions

catastrophe wrote:

I may be wrong but I believe the the cable supplied is PD compatible. PD requires that the source and sink have PD compatible USB-C interfaces and that the cable can operate with the higher voltages and currents associated with PD

The RP, at least in the US, does not come with any cable. They assume that at this point, you have more than enough cables.  But if want to charge the camera using the cable, it has to be PD rated.  So I bought a generic one off Amazon.  I used it for a firmware update and transferred some image files maybe once - and went back to using my card reader.

Charging the camera  via USB C connection definitely has benefits if you travel or go on long shoots so the PD version of the cable can be very useful

 2ndact scene1's gear list:2ndact scene1's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus TG-6 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel T7 Canon EOS RP +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads