Considering a G1X m3

Started Aug 11, 2021 | Discussions
jw10 Contributing Member • Posts: 911
Considering a G1X m3

My Sony rx100ii is on its last legs after almost 14,000 shots.

So I've been considering a replacement.

I hike and backpack a lot, so size and weight are extremely key considerations.

This time round I really would like to have an EVF. Considerations are the newer rx100's, and Canon G5x, m2.

Only last week I discovered the Canon G1x m3. For only an addtional 4 oz over my rx100ii, I get an EVF, APSC sensor, weather sealing.

Reports on the lens seem to be generally good -- I've looked at many sample from different reviews and the lens is as good or better than any rx100 series as far as I can tell.

It may be a little less reach than some other choices, but I find it's rare that I use the 100mm (equiv) from my current rx100ii, and with a better lens, better sensor, the G1X m3 should be able to have a tighter crop and still have good resolution compared to a smaller sensor, so I think the reach comparison may be somewhat of a wash anyway.

Some other details:

99% of my shots are in AV mode.  The other 1% is TV.

I wear glasses -- will the EVF give me any issues?

I never have a tripod, and have gotten pretty good at stitching hand held panoramas where I pivot the camera around the image axis, usually in portrait orientation(see example).

I take fair amount of closeups of flowers, plants etc. Does the AF+MF work reasonably well for focusing -- considering often I'm tired, or in a rush not to slow down our progress on the trail too much futzing around would be annoying.

Given the price of a G1X m3 is equivalent to the rx100's, and the lens focal length is looking acceptable, can you think of a reason to consider something other than the G1X m3?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

6 images from rx100ii stitched with Hugin, handheld panorama

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

jw10's gear list:jw10's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot S3 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
Canon EOS M3 Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Swerky Contributing Member • Posts: 620
Re: Considering a G1X m3

jw10 wrote:

This time round I really would like to have an EVF. Considerations are the newer rx100's, and Canon G5x, m2.

Only last week I discovered the Canon G1x m3. For only an addtional 4 oz over my rx100ii, I get an EVF, APSC sensor, weather sealing.

Reports on the lens seem to be generally good -- I've looked at many sample from different reviews and the lens is as good or better than any rx100 series as far as I can tell.

It may be a little less reach than some other choices, but I find it's rare that I use the 100mm (equiv) from my current rx100ii, and with a better lens, better sensor, the G1X m3 should be able to have a tighter crop and still have good resolution compared to a smaller sensor, so I think the reach comparison may be somewhat of a wash anyway.

Some other details:

99% of my shots are in AV mode. The other 1% is TV.

I never have a tripod, and have gotten pretty good at stitching hand held panoramas where I pivot the camera around the image axis, usually in portrait orientation(see example).

I take fair amount of closeups of flowers, plants etc. Does the AF+MF work reasonably well for focusing -- considering often I'm tired, or in a rush not to slow down our progress on the trail too much futzing around would be annoying.

Given the price of a G1X m3 is equivalent to the rx100's, and the lens focal length is looking acceptable, can you think of a reason to consider something other than the G1X m3?

Hi. I own a G1X Mark III and I wear glasses. No issues whatsoever. I was actually over satisfied by the quality of the evf. For some reason I was expecting less. But it’s comfortable and clear. I am afraid I won’t be of much help with the other questions. I rarely use manual focus, and when I do I switch completely to that then back to autofocus. Focus peaking is precise.

As a compact camera, the only model I’ve tried was the Lumix LX100 II. I enjoyed using it but it had build issues. Sold it and got the G1X Mark III. Can’t go wrong with the very good APS-C sensor, the lens is sharp and with 24mpx you do have a lot of resolution to play with and crop. It is preferable to have a lens hood for peace of mind. Got a good quality third party one at a cheap price.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

It is amazing how a lens hood can give an air of professionalism to whatever kit I may have.

Swerky's gear list:Swerky's gear list
Canon G1 X III Fujifilm X-A10 Canon 6D Mark II Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +3 more
OP jw10 Contributing Member • Posts: 911

Swerky wrote:

Hi. I own a G1X Mark III and I wear glasses. No issues whatsoever. I was actually over satisfied by the quality of the evf. For some reason I was expecting less. But it’s comfortable and clear.

Great to hear that!

I am afraid I won’t be of much help with the other questions. I rarely use manual focus, and when I do I switch completely to that then back to autofocus. Focus peaking is precise.

That is a helpful, thanks for that info.

As a compact camera, the only model I’ve tried was the Lumix LX100 II. I enjoyed using it but it had build issues. Sold it and got the G1X Mark III. Can’t go wrong with the very good APS-C sensor, the lens is sharp and with 24mpx you do have a lot of resolution to play with and crop. It is preferable to have a lens hood for peace of mind. Got a good quality third party one at a cheap price.

I forgot to ask about a lens hood.   I usually use my hand for sun glare, but forgot to ask about a more "permanent" solution.   Thanks for that too.

Hope this helps.

It sure did!

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot S3 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
Swerky Contributing Member • Posts: 620

jw10 wrote:

Swerky wrote:

Hi. I own a G1X Mark III and I wear glasses. No issues whatsoever. I was actually over satisfied by the quality of the evf. For some reason I was expecting less. But it’s comfortable and clear.

Great to hear that!

I am afraid I won’t be of much help with the other questions. I rarely use manual focus, and when I do I switch completely to that then back to autofocus. Focus peaking is precise.

That is a helpful, thanks for that info.

I forgot to ask about a lens hood. I usually use my hand for sun glare, but forgot to ask about a more "permanent" solution. Thanks for that too.

Hope this helps.

It sure did!

Glad it helped! I also just tried the AF+MF option and it works like a breeze. Of course the lens wheel is set for MF.

-- hide signature --

It is amazing how a lens hood can give an air of professionalism to whatever kit I may have.

Swerky's gear list:Swerky's gear list
Canon G1 X III Fujifilm X-A10 Canon 6D Mark II Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +3 more
John McCormack
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,922

I've been considering these two cameras also. I decided I really don't need the larger sensor as 1" is plenty for me and I prefer the faster lens on the G5X II and bit longer reach. The G1X is just a bit bigger than I prefer. Battery life is slightly better on the G5X II and the cost is less. YMMV. Compare them side by side here .

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." - Ansel Adams

Lacko Contributing Member • Posts: 717

jw10 wrote:

I forgot to ask about a lens hood. I usually use my hand for sun glare, but forgot to ask about a more "permanent" solution.

I use lens hoods on all my lenses and have also bought one for G1X III, but for size reason I never used it - no problem at all.

What I can recommend is to buy another lens cap. Using the original one is not very comfortable.

Lacko's gear list:Lacko's gear list
Canon G1 X III Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,865

jw10 wrote:

This seems awfully low. FWIW I had well over 100K shots on my first G1X3, which was stolen.

You get far more than this (check my posts on this forum.)

I'm also the author of this resource, written with the help of my photo hiking community, which is rather large and includes quite a few retired pros, industry mavens, etc. The G1X3 is by far our most used high-end compact cam - some even use it as a backup cam to their pro rigs and it's often quite hard to figure out which cam took which pic... .

I can confirm this.

The photosites on the G1X3 are far larger than on most 1" cams. Shoot in RAW and you will find that even with minimal post, its IQ is far superior.

Some other details:

No.

It's fine. More importantly, macro work is considerably easier (and safer with some insects) if you just open up the swivel screen, grab its edges with your left hand, and gently approach flowers and bugs (works similarly with pets and small kids), something you just can't do with the selfie screens of the RX100s, G5X2, etc. No more crawling on your belly, hurting your back, etc.

Other pluses include the same body alloy and shutter mechanism as the big Canon Ds (an absolute joy to use), the WP (I've used mine in pouring rain) the fast and sharp lens (f2.8 is all you ever need for hiking, not to mention that the flash is surprisingly powerful with a 30 ft reach) etc. etc.

Jeff, are you in the USA? I'm asking because I bought my second G1X3 from Canon USA as a refurb for roughly half the price of my first one. It supposedly was a refurb but it looked brand new to me.

Hope this helps a little!

Chris

Chris 222 wrote:

jw10 wrote:

This seems awfully low. FWIW I had well over 100K shots on my first G1X3, which was stolen.

I think it's a combination of things -- there is a small crack in the body -- probably my fault but an entry point for small dust.   The camera often now won't detect the shutter press, won't stay in playback mode, or hold MF mode, many things like that.  I have done factory reset and it doesn't really help.  Heat seems to be an issue too.  Could also just be I got a copy of the camera that wouldn't last as long as others.

I'll check those out.

I'm also the author of this resource, written with the help of my photo hiking community, which is rather large and includes quite a few retired pros, industry mavens, etc. The G1X3 is by far our most used high-end compact cam - some even use it as a backup cam to their pro rigs and it's often quite hard to figure out which cam took which pic... .

Thus far with my rx100ii, it literally fits in my hip belt pocket on either my dayback or backpack, but just barely.   So pretty much any upgrade I do requires having the camera accessible from some other location, which may be just a larger pocket lashed to the pack's hip belt.  I will look at resource you have given me.

I can confirm this.

The photosites on the G1X3 are far larger than on most 1" cams. Shoot in RAW and you will find that even with minimal post, its IQ is far superior.

That's what I expect.  I have a Sony A6300 but it's just too heavy and a little large for my hiking/backpacking adventures.  I'm that guy that weighs sunglasses to take the pair that weighs one gram less

It's fine. More importantly, macro work is considerably easier (and safer with some insects) if you just open up the swivel screen, grab its edges with your left hand, and gently approach flowers and bugs (works similarly with pets and small kids), something you just can't do with the selfie screens of the RX100s, G5X2, etc. No more crawling on your belly, hurting your back, etc.

Great info!

Other pluses include the same body alloy and shutter mechanism as the big Canon Ds (an absolute joy to use), the WP (I've used mine in pouring rain) the fast and sharp lens (f2.8 is all you ever need for hiking, not to mention that the flash is surprisingly powerful with a 30 ft reach) etc. etc.

Jeff, are you in the USA? I'm asking because I bought my second G1X3 from Canon USA as a refurb for roughly half the price of my first one. It supposedly was a refurb but it looked brand new to me.

I am in Tacoma, WA.   Mt Rainier is 2 hours away.   Olympics are about 3 hours.  North Cascades about 4 hours...

Chris -- Thanks very very much for your thoughtful and informative post.  I'll check out those other items you mentioned, and wow if I could get a refurb G1x iii I'd be delighted.  I think the refurbs get very good attention to check for any possible flaws.

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

landov Regular Member • Posts: 358

I owned Sony RX100III but I sold it and bought G1X3.

Handheld, stitched panorama with G1X3

landov's gear list:landov's gear list
Canon G1 X III Nikon Z6

jw10 wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

jw10 wrote:

I think it's a combination of things -- there is a small crack in the body -- probably my fault but an entry point for small dust. The camera often now won't detect the shutter press, won't stay in playback mode, or hold MF mode, many things like that. I have done factory reset and it doesn't really help. Heat seems to be an issue too. Could also just be I got a copy of the camera that wouldn't last as long as others.

I'll check those out.

Thus far with my rx100ii, it literally fits in my hip belt pocket on either my dayback or backpack, but just barely. So pretty much any upgrade I do requires having the camera accessible from some other location, which may be just a larger pocket lashed to the pack's hip belt. I will look at resource you have given me.

I can confirm this.

That's what I expect. I have a Sony A6300 but it's just too heavy and a little large for my hiking/backpacking adventures. I'm that guy that weighs sunglasses to take the pair that weighs one gram less

Great info!

I am in Tacoma, WA. Mt Rainier is 2 hours away. Olympics are about 3 hours. North Cascades about 4 hours...

Chris -- Thanks very very much for your thoughtful and informative post.

My pleasure Jeff.

I'll check out those other items you mentioned, and wow if I could get a refurb G1x iii I'd be delighted. I think the refurbs get very good attention to check for any possible flaws.

Based on my experience it's very true for Canon USA, and their price includes a REAL warranty, as opposed to the total crap offered by some other brands and/or their refurb vendors. I think this is akin to what one may find in certain auto dealerships that actually offer more QC checks and better warranties on used cars than on new cars!

Here's the link:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-powershot-g1-x-mark-iii

One other thought I wanted to offer has to do with where to carry your cam. Here's what I recently wrote in another thread to a poster who is looking to maybe dump his big Nikon DSLR kit on hikes and replace it with a little Sony:

"FWIW, the RX100M7 is a fine but fragile pocket cam with a 1" sensor (not FF.) Outside of the sky-high price, the soap-bar ergonomics are very poor. While hiking I personally tend to keep my "little marvel" (Canon G1X3, APS-C sensor, stellar build, IQ and features including WP) for wide-angle and general pics, in a side pocket (Nalgene-type bottle in the other) plus a small sensor cam in a hip pocket for long reach (birds and other wildlife.) I carry these 2 pocket cams even when I shoot with ILC kits, in which case I usually use them as backups."

You will find all the carry options discussed in the big resource linked above, but one thing I forgot to mention to him is that I sometimes simply slip my G1X3's bag (an old little Tamrac dug out of a drawer where I have many such small bags collected over the years) over one side of my hiking pack's hip belt, which brings the cam at my hip side, making it super convenient and quick to use. I can do that because this particular Tamrac happens to have a very wide (4 1/4 inch) and well-designed pass-through (velcro plus snaps) which is just awesome (most small bags have much narrower pass-throughs, or none at all.)

Chris

YehudaKatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,441
I would consider M50.

No text.

YehudaKatz's gear list:YehudaKatz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
axlotl Senior Member • Posts: 2,249

jw10 wrote:

Some other details:

G1X.3 at 15mm

HI Jeff, I have bought and used many compacts over the years including Pana LX100 versions, Sony RX100 versions, Ricoh GR3, Fuji X100V, Canon "one inch" sensor  versions and variants, and EOS M50 with all the EF-M  lenses.

I rate the Canon G1X.3 best of the lot taking into account all aspects of specifications, features, image quality, performance and ergonomics.  It is very suitable for the uses you specify. I carry mine in a Think Tank MM5 bag.

I had a G1X.3 a few years ago, sold it for no good reason that I can remember and bought another one a few days ago. I am very pleased I did so.

My "main" camera is an R5 with various lenses but there are plenty of times when I just can't be bothered to take out all that kit.

In the review of the G1X.3 on this website they comment on sub optimal lens quality at the wide end. Both my copies have had an excellent lens with very good sharpness at all focal lengths and apertures and just a bit of softness in the corners at the wide end. I suspect they might have gotten an early production copy with a not-quite-right lens.

The G1X.3 is a camera which got luke warm reviews (including from me) when it was released but it has stood the test of time better than most other compacts and still makes a good case for itself.

Andrew

RLight Senior Member • Posts: 4,013

Backpacking and landscapes? G1X III should be on your short list. It’s practically made for just such a purpose.

The only other weapon to consider if you haven’t: EOSM series + 11-22 lens. However, the G1X III is weather sealed, smaller, lighter, and it’s got a sharp lens. It’s the better option for what you have in mind, unless, you want to swap lenses where then I’d recommend the M instead.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +1 more

Thanks again Chris.   I'm going to pull the trigger on the g1x m3.   I have to check on the shipping because UPS damages 1 in 3 packages sent to us -- very badly.   So hopefully canon can ship FedEx or USPS.

I'm thinking of a very similar solution for carry -- looks like maybe a lowepro dashpoint 20 might be just the right size and slip over the backpack (or dayback) waistbelt.  Hey, suddenly I would have room for an extra snack in my pack's hip pocket belt again! 

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

RLight wrote:

Backpacking and landscapes? G1X III should be on your short list. It’s practically made for just such a purpose.

The only other weapon to consider if you haven’t: EOSM series + 11-22 lens. However, the G1X III is weather sealed, smaller, lighter, and it’s got a sharp lens. It’s the better option for what you have in mind, unless, you want to swap lenses where then I’d recommend the M instead.

And now I've decided, it's on the short list, and the list has only one camera!

Thanks for your input.

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

landov wrote:

I owned Sony RX100III but I sold it and bought G1X3.

Handheld, stitched panorama with G1X3

I saw on another thread you have a lowepro dashpoint 20 for carrying this camera.  Do you still like that for a carry option?

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

jw10 wrote:

Thanks again Chris. I'm going to pull the trigger on the g1x m3. I have to check on the shipping because UPS damages 1 in 3 packages sent to us -- very badly. So hopefully canon can ship FedEx or USPS.

I'm thinking of a very similar solution for carry -- looks like maybe a lowepro dashpoint 20 might be just the right size and slip over the backpack (or dayback) waistbelt. Hey, suddenly I would have room for an extra snack in my pack's hip pocket belt again!

Hi Jeff,

My turn to thank you for that awesome Dashpoint tip. You can read what followed here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4574941?page=3#forum-post-65411414

-- hide signature --

Chris
Links to a few resources I published here to help my fellow photographers:
R1: BEST BACKPACK / RUCKSACK FOR HIKING PHOTOGRAPHERS (2021) https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4574941
R2: Most versatile ICU (camera insert) for backpacks and other bags: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4585593
R3: How to make your own custom dividers for any photo bag or ICU (Internal Camera Unit) https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4594146
R4: Reviewed: Cosyspeed mini-pouch, hand strap, waist / sling bag, powerbank https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4585015
R5: Best carry on wheeled backpack you've never heard of https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4446343

Chris 222 wrote:

jw10 wrote:

Thanks again Chris. I'm going to pull the trigger on the g1x m3. I have to check on the shipping because UPS damages 1 in 3 packages sent to us -- very badly. So hopefully canon can ship FedEx or USPS.

I'm thinking of a very similar solution for carry -- looks like maybe a lowepro dashpoint 20 might be just the right size and slip over the backpack (or dayback) waistbelt. Hey, suddenly I would have room for an extra snack in my pack's hip pocket belt again!

Hi Jeff,

My turn to thank you for that awesome Dashpoint tip. You can read what followed here:

Thanks Chris, but the credit goes to @Landov, who described his success here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60656836

BTW -- I received my refurbed G1X iii today.   Lens seems perfect, as do all other aspects of the camera!

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

jw10 wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

jw10 wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks Chris, but the credit goes to @Landov, who described his success here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60656836

Never seen this thread before, will check it out, and I stand corrected. Thanks Jeff and Landov !

BTW -- I received my refurbed G1X iii today. Lens seems perfect, as do all other aspects of the camera!

Good for you. There's no telling if Canon brings out a V4. If not, I think that the G1X3 will quickly become a hot (and expensive) commodity...

-- hide signature --

Chris
Links to a few resources I published here to help my fellow photographers:
R1: BEST BACKPACK / RUCKSACK FOR HIKING PHOTOGRAPHERS (2021) https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4574941
R2: Most versatile ICU (camera insert) for backpacks and other bags: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4585593
R3: How to make your own custom dividers for any photo bag or ICU (Internal Camera Unit) https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4594146
R4: Reviewed: Cosyspeed mini-pouch, hand strap, waist / sling bag, powerbank https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4585015
R5: Best carry on wheeled backpack you've never heard of https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4446343

MiguelATF
MiguelATF Regular Member • Posts: 492

Quick short answer: the G1XMkIII is, simply, a superb small take-everywhere camera. The lens in my experience is excellent, and the smallish EVF is nonetheless extremely useful and surprisingly good. I can't say enough positives about it.

On the theory that a picture is worth a thousand words, here is one of my favorite G1xMk3 photos - of the display window of a local (southern Oregon) Historical Society---

-- hide signature --

"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed."
~Garry Winogrand~
Ipernity: http://www.ipernity.com/home/1647950
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/migueltejadaflores/
Blog: http://migueltejadaflores.wordpress.com

MiguelATF's gear list:MiguelATF's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm X30 Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus PEN E-P5 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads