D7200 problem with Lexar 64GB SD cards

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,966
D7200 problem with Lexar 64GB SD cards

I have a D7200 which has been working fine with 64Gb SD cards (I have been using the cards for 2-3 years). Last week, I spent a day shooting using a card that I have used all summer; things appeared OK (I could play back images in camera, no error messages).  But, when I got home to download my images, the card was empty.  It deleted not only my images from the day but from previous days too. My computer claims the card is unreadable and my camera says the card is damaged.

I tried some other 64 GB cards. None of the Lexar 64GB cards will work in my camera while my Sandisk ones will work. However, 32 GB cards (Lexar and Sandisk) work fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DaveG16 Regular Member • Posts: 400
Re: D7200 problem with Lexar 64GB SD cards

First, the files on your compromised SD card. I've had the best luck with Recuva

Windows. Don't know anything about the Apple side.

Re: the the 64gb cards you trialled -- did you format them in the camera?

-- hide signature --

Dave G.
There are no real negatives in digital photography.

DaveG16's gear list:DaveG16's gear list
Nikon D5100
OP nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,966

Thanks. I tried using recovery software but the card will not physicially mount on either an iMac, or Windows computer

I always format my cards in-camera. Both of the 'bad' cards have been used in my camera for months with no issues. Until a couple of days ago.

PS. I also tried using multiple sd card readers on several different devices, with similar results.

-- hide signature --

Nick

Nikon D7200 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more

nbirkett wrote:

The card will not physicially mount on either an iMac, or Windows computer

Just searched through Recuva's forum - sorry, guess it can't help when the device won't mount.

There is probably some forensic software out there, but it won't be cheap.

Both of the 'bad' cards have been used in my camera for months with no issues. Until a couple of days ago.

Anything happen a couple of days ago (e.g., camera battery ran out of juice, card got pulled before the write light went out, camera/battery got jarred while image saves were going on, etc.)?

Speaking of battery, you did try a newly-charged battery or external power source, right?

-- hide signature --

Dave G.

Nikon D5100
Blufftonian
Blufftonian Senior Member • Posts: 1,218

At least it sounds like the problem is not with the D7200.

I have a 64mb SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB 170MB/s card in my D7200 (and a SanDisk Extreme 32GB 60MB/s in slot 2) and I’ve never had any issues.  I guess the good news is that SD cards are now pretty inexpensive, I just bought a 128GB SanDisk for $35 from Amazon.

I did have a fairly new Sony XQD card fail recently in my D500.  I tried all sorts of recovery software without success.  Fortunately Sony replaced it under warranty.

Blufftonian's gear list:Blufftonian's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D7200 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +7 more

DaveG16 wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

The card will not physicially mount on either an iMac, or Windows computer

Just searched through Recuva's forum - sorry, guess it can't help when the device won't mount.

There is probably some forensic software out there, but it won't be cheap.

Both of the 'bad' cards have been used in my camera for months with no issues. Until a couple of days ago.

Anything happen a couple of days ago (e.g., camera battery ran out of juice, card got pulled before the write light went out, camera/battery got jarred while image saves were going on, etc.)?

I was out for a full day taking photos.  It was a sunny day but hot and humid.  My camera was either around my neck or in my camera bag all day.  The card worked all day.  It only failed when I took it out of the camera to read into my computer after I got home. So, nothing major happened. I tried drying it in rice in case the humidity had caused an issue - no effect.

Speaking of battery, you did try a newly-charged battery or external power source, right?

I didn't try a newly-charged battery.  But, I was trying to read it into computers that were powered from a wall outlet.

-- hide signature --

Nick

Blufftonian wrote:

If the 32's work, I guess, but to have multiple 64's go bad at the same time -- that big of a coincidence strains credulity.

Don't know enough about SD card innards and electricals to help more. It's possible that one pinout is called into play with the 64s that is left signal-free with the 32s.

@nbirkett, have you looked down into the camera's card reader to see if any contacts seem bent?

-- hide signature --

Dave G.

Nikon D5100

Blufftonian wrote:

I have a 64mb SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB 170MB/s card in my D7200 (and a SanDisk Extreme 32GB 60MB/s in slot 2) and I’ve never had any issues. I guess the good news is that SD cards are now pretty inexpensive, I just bought a 128GB SanDisk for $35 from Amazon.

My set-up is similar: 64Gb Lexar Professional 1000x 150MB/s card (and a Lexar 32GB Pro 400x card in slot 2).

You are right about the pricing - much lower than XQD cards. I'm more worried about the lost images and whether this might indicate a pending failure of the sd card reader in my camera.

I did have a fairly new Sony XQD card fail recently in my D500. I tried all sorts of recovery software without success. Fortunately Sony replaced it under warranty.

I had a SanDisk card fail a couple of years ago after a static electricity discharge when I was putting the card into my computer sd slot. One of the reasons that I have been using Lexar.

-- hide signature --

Nick

DaveG16 wrote:

Blufftonian wrote:

If the 32's work, I guess, but to have multiple 64's go bad at the same time -- that big of a coincidence strains credulity.

Don't know enough about SD card innards and electricals to help more. It's possible that one pinout is called into play with the 64s that is left signal-free with the 32s.

That is one thing I was wondering.  But, I didn't think of looking into the card reader

The failed cards are UHS-II (I think).  They have two rows of contacts rather than one row.  But, I understood there was backward compatibility.

Anyway, I just took a quick peek and don't see anything obvious. I also tried them in both of the camera slots with the same failures.

-- hide signature --

Nick

Going back to an earlier post: when you came inside after shooting on a hot, humid day, was it a return to an air-conditioned space?

If so, is there a chance that condensation might have occurred?

And, (further) if so, is there a chance that the contacts in the camera's SD slots might have oxidation or slight corrosion? Particularly the slot where the card was residing for a long time?

Peering down into the single slot on my new-to-me D1500, the card reader's contacts are very fine wires that look to be gold-flashed. One or two of the contacts on my month-old 64gb card have definite scratches, as though a couple of the wires are pretty aggressive.

Very fine wires, aggressively pushing into the card contacts -- it looks as though it would be relatively easy to bend or deform the wires.

It would also be relatively easy to wipe the microscopically thin gold flashing off fine wires, exposing the wire to corrosion.

If the mechanicals are ok, that suggests a software or chip issue. Depending on how many customized settings you're set up over the years, it might be worth restoring the firmware to factory defaults. I don't find any reference to a way to perform a deeper reset on Nikon bodies, such as taking an EPROM or chip reset contact to ground.

-- hide signature --

Dave G.

Nikon D5100
BillD7000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,020

Sandisk used to offer a recovery program which required having the erring card to be left in the camera, and plugging the camera into the computer.  It saved a friend's files who'd accidentally formatted an SD card in their camera.  All images were recovered.

Maybe there's some hope going this way?  good luck.

-- hide signature --

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

BillD7000's gear list:BillD7000's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +1 more
Ellinor William Junior Member • Posts: 34

There could be many possibilities for your photo loss. The process of writing the photos to the SD card while you are clicking the pictures might get interrupted. Any interruption can make the writing process fail. One of the most common reasons of interruption is when the battery dies and the camera switches off automatically.

First, you need to fix the error in your SD Card. Try performing Chkdsk in CMD. And, try accessing the SD card in disk management utility. Update the driver if needed or change the drive location if asked. Still if you can’t find the solution, then you need to format the card to save it from corruption. You can recover the photos from your formatted SD card as well. To recover those lost photos you may need a photo recovery software. I suggest Stellar or Recoverit to recover your deleted files.

Joep van Steen
Joep van Steen Regular Member • Posts: 430

Ellinor William wrote:

There could be many possibilities for your photo loss. The process of writing the photos to the SD card while you are clicking the pictures might get interrupted. Any interruption can make the writing process fail. One of the most common reasons of interruption is when the battery dies and the camera switches off automatically.

First, you need to fix the error in your SD Card. Try performing Chkdsk in CMD. And, try accessing the SD card in disk management utility. Update the driver if needed or change the drive location if asked. Still if you can’t find the solution, then you need to format the card to save it from corruption. You can recover the photos from your formatted SD card as well. To recover those lost photos you may need a photo recovery software. I suggest Stellar or Recoverit to recover your deleted files.

Chkdsk, format, all things you should never do if the goal is to recover the data. Can't really tell what you're advise is geared towards, but if it's data recovery then it's dumb advise.

Also, rather than Stellar or RecoverIt I suggest R-Photo (R-TT.com) which is free for the purpose of photo recovery from memory cards. Not only is it free, it's excellent too.

-- hide signature --

Joep

Joep van Steen
Joep van Steen Regular Member • Posts: 430

nbirkett wrote:

I have a D7200 which has been working fine with 64Gb SD cards (I have been using the cards for 2-3 years). Last week, I spent a day shooting using a card that I have used all summer; things appeared OK (I could play back images in camera, no error messages). But, when I got home to download my images, the card was empty. It deleted not only my images from the day but from previous days too. My computer claims the card is unreadable and my camera says the card is damaged.

I tried some other 64 GB cards. None of the Lexar 64GB cards will work in my camera while my Sandisk ones will work. However, 32 GB cards (Lexar and Sandisk) work fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

In general you can try recover data IF this condition is met: Card must show in Windows Disk Management with correct capacity.

If not listed correctly it's no use going on a wild goose chase to find a tool that works.

-- hide signature --

Joep

Joep van Steen wrote:

In general you can try recover data IF this condition is met: Card must show in Windows Disk Management with correct capacity.

If not listed correctly it's no use going on a wild goose chase to find a tool that works.

Thanks.  On a Windows computer (Win 10), I can see the card but the capacity is wrong (8GB instead of 64GB).  On my iMac, the card won't mount and does not show in the 'disk utility'.

I think these cards are toast.  But, I do not understand why and whether this might indicate a physical issue with my camera that might cause more problems in the future. For now, I will go back to having two cards in the camera, saving duplicate images, one to each card.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. and suggestions.

-- hide signature --

Nick

Blufftonian
Blufftonian Senior Member • Posts: 1,218

nbirkett wrote:

... For now, I will go back to having two cards in the camera, saving duplicate images, one to each card.

I think that's a smart move Nick.  I always use duplicate cards in my D7200 and D500.

Blufftonian's gear list:Blufftonian's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D7200 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +7 more
Chas J Contributing Member • Posts: 868

Ellinor William wrote:

This is really bad (and erroneous) advice.

-- hide signature --

==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Nikon D700 +30 more
jjlad Senior Member • Posts: 1,977

I'm wishing the original poster the best with this. I've used Recuva successfully on a couple of SD cards. I wasn't able to recover EVERY photo but it got at least 98% of them.

It is sounding to me like a physical problem on the original poster's card. I've pried SD cards open to fix jammed write protection tabs. If all else fails I'd suggest prying that one open as well as your oldest smallest functioning card and comparing the two to see if you can spot something awry. They look fragile but I've found them to be surprisingly robust.

For me SD cards have been dependable workhorses. I use a 64 GB 95mbps in Slot 1 and a 128 GB 250mbps in slot 2 (That's a Lexar Professional SDXC V60 II). The card slot on my HP Omen laptop won't read at 250 mbps so it gets read in at 80 - 90 mbps, same as my 95mbps cards.

I'm thinking my next camera will be a Z6II. Don't need more megapixels now since photos can be 'enhanced' in LR and Photoshop and other programs now so that 1 of 500 photos needing that much enlargement can easily be handled that way. Now I want to get a USB 3 reader that handles SD and XQD since that will allow the 250mbps reads on the Lexar cards too.

XD is so dependable for me I wish there was an XD to XQD adapter. (like the micro SD to SD adapters). I'd just start my Z6II adventure with that until some sanity was introduced into XQD pricing.

Cheers

jjlad's gear list:jjlad's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Nikon D7200 +1 more
jjlad Senior Member • Posts: 1,977

Sorry, kept typing XD when I meant SD. Brain Freeze!

jjlad's gear list:jjlad's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Nikon D7200 +1 more
kenmo Contributing Member • Posts: 946

That's why it has dual slots and a good reason to use them. And a reason why I will not be replacing my D7000s or my D7100 with a D7500.

kenmo's gear list:kenmo's gear list
Nikon D3300 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7000 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads