LCD Screen

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Pants McLee Junior Member • Posts: 45
LCD Screen

I’ve just received my new GR III and I’m blown away by the IQ. Coming from a Fuji XT-2, I’m a bit surprised by the LCD though - spec-wise they’re similar, but the Ricoh has almost constant static/noise - like a slightly out of tune TV station (for those of you who are old enough to remember when that was a thing!)

I’m wondering if this is just how it is, or if there’s an issue with my LCD, specifically. Here’s some video I shot of it with my iphone. The Ricoh is in B&W jpeg mode, but the noise appears regardless of mode.

Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,855
Re: LCD Screen

I never really thought about or noticed this before. So, I just checked my gr3. I think it's the same. It certainly is there in low light scenes. I'm using it indoors like you are. I think it's more pronounced before the camera focuses and when using high contrast image settings like hard BW. I find that on std image setting and after the camera has focused its not very evident unless you look really hard for it. In all I think it's a product of the LCD and 'normal'.

-- hide signature --
 Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,483

Its just the way it is, seems more noticable in some of the bnw modes but no problem.

rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

I think it's more pronounced before the camera focuses and when using high contrast image settings like hard BW.

I don't own a GRIII but that was my first reaction too. Maybe certain modes require a non-native rendering, a translation if you will?

Question to OP: From your description it's clear that Fuji is doing a better job, but does it perform equally good in different settings?

OP Pants McLee Junior Member • Posts: 45

Thanks for your reassuring replies, everyone!

rondom wrote:

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

I think it's more pronounced before the camera focuses and when using high contrast image settings like hard BW.

I don't own a GRIII but that was my first reaction too. Maybe certain modes require a non-native rendering, a translation if you will?

Question to OP: From your description it's clear that Fuji is doing a better job, but does it perform equally good in different settings?

Yes, my Fuji XT-2 LCD appears to be very clear, even in extremely low light. The display quality doesn't seem impacted by the shooting conditions. With the Fuji, I only shoot using the EVF, so I never really paid attention to the LCD quality before.

Thanks, again!

dv9973
dv9973 Regular Member • Posts: 414

I don't see this on my camera.
Maybe there is a specific problem with your GR, but your demonstration is not correct and not convincing.
How can I know from your clip if the source of noise is not your smartphone or low light.

dv9973's gear list:dv9973's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
OP Pants McLee Junior Member • Posts: 45

dv9973 wrote:

I don't see this on my camera.
Maybe there is a specific problem with your GR, but your demonstration is not correct and not convincing.
How can I know from your clip if the source of noise is not your smartphone or low light.

Yes, I freely admit my demonstration it not scientifically rigorous. It is "correct" in as far as it illustrates what I see with my eyes. (To be clear: I noticed the issue, then shot the video, not the other way around.) I'm not sure I can help with the "convincing" part; I guess it's possible some people have a lot of time on their hands and post fake stuff to camera forums, but, I'm a middle-aged teacher who loves photography and hates drama, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

The video was shot indoors in the evening, so it is low light - but I think you can see from the edge of the frame, where my right thumb is visible, that the noisiness appears only on the Ricoh screen - otherwise my thumb would be equally noisy.

Tungsten Nordstein was exactly right that the noise happens as the camera is focusing and settles down once it has locked focus.

I'll just add that I wasn't trying to criticize the camera. I was curious that it was different from my Fuji, and I wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue. It sounds, from the other replies, like there isn't. All good!

Jon Donahue Contributing Member • Posts: 863

Pants — I have an older GR II, just checked it, didn't see the effect in b/w mode in dim interior light where it had to hunt around a bit before focusing. Maybe this is a GR III thing? Any other GR III owners notice it, enough to be bothered by it?

Jon Donahue's gear list:Jon Donahue's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads