Review K3 mark lll?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 2,770
Re: I expect they will not

flektogon wrote:

Yes, you are absolutely correct! Pentax fans will buy this camera regardless how negative (potentially) such a review would sound, because there is no other Pentax body available.

First, there are other Pentax bodies available.: the K-1 and K-70, and some sellers still have KPs in stock. And you always say things so negatively. How about because it's the finest APSC body they've ever made, and a worthy upgrade?

And, of course the notion of "regardless how negative (potentially) such a review would sound" has to be qualified by DPR's relative lack of general credibility on the brand.

Non Pentax fans will never buy any Pentax body regardless how positive (potentially) such a review would sound, because they have other available bodies/lenses. So, why DPReview should bother?

The sunk cost of lenses is pretty much the case with any gear exchange. I'd have to restock if I changed from Pentax; my wife would have to restock if she changed from Sony. The issues are exactly the same.

-- hide signature --

bob5050
Happily exploring my new K-3 mark III

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 2,770

Photoeer wrote:

My thought is that the top line market goal of this camera is to stem the defection from the Pentax brand; second to entice old Pentax owners back. Building new market share is likely a far third I suspect.

I agree with the ordering. But I'd add in the goal of getting existing users to finally upgrade rather then using their K-5's etc. forever. They're neither brand defectors nor former users, they just haven't bought a new body in years and years.

New market share will come, or not, as Pentax develops its vision of a dslr for the future.

And as Canikon users decide the relative importance to them of their brand, versus having a DSLR OVF rather than a MILC (versus, again, just using the last body they bought as long as possible).

-- hide signature --

bob5050
Happily exploring my new K-3 mark III

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
Photoeer New Member • Posts: 14

IQ wise  k5’s were very compelling cameras, not hard to understand hanging on to them  Seems to me the k3 iii is a pretty compelling reason to upgrade if your using that format

I’ll be looking seriously at any new full frame  and (fingers and toes crossed) any medium format updates. It seems like the new Pentax focus capabilities will meet my needs. I think they seem to be in the right track with new glass. Third party software support is my question- I hope Pentax bites the bullet and cozies up to capture one. 
As to other people switching, or more likely adding Pentax to their kit, capable uniqueness is the key  I think

Don Kiyoti
Don Kiyoti Regular Member • Posts: 484

Photoeer wrote:

Any evidence of this besides your opinion? Giving that opinion the benefit of the doubt that the camera is only attractive to Pentax owners is that bad?

My thought is that the top line market goal of this camera is to stem the defection from the Pentax brand; second to entice old Pentax owners back. Building new market share is likely a far third I suspect.
New market share will come, or not, as Pentax develops its vision of a dslr for the future.

Did I claim to know for a fact that they won't review the camera? No? Then it's my opinion.
Would you disagree that DPReview focuses on what the majority of their audience is interested in? (It's not Pentax.)

Don Kiyoti's gear list:Don Kiyoti's gear list
Pentax K-3 Mark III
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,950
Re: Review K3 mark lll?

altis wrote:

Who wants to read a DPR review with its baked-in noise?

Ouch!
-------------------
"Elegance of operation" -- Pentax
"Heavy for its size" -- DPR

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Leica Q Pentax K-01 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +11 more
dnscott645 Regular Member • Posts: 153

you are right, DP Review has done this with other products.

dnscott645's gear list:dnscott645's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Pentax KP Sony a7S III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +3 more
PentUp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,007

flektogon wrote:

Don Kiyoti wrote:

By now, there's very little interest in this camera outside of Pentax circles. I just don't think DPReview feels it's worth their time & effort.

Yes, you are absolutely correct! Pentax fans will buy this camera regardless how negative (potentially) such a review would sound, because there is no other Pentax body available. Non Pentax fans will never buy any Pentax body regardless how positive (potentially) such a review would sound, because they have other available bodies/lenses. So, why DPReview should bother?

On that rationale, why would they bother doing any reviews of any product at all?

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +11 more
JeremieB Senior Member • Posts: 1,277

Don Kiyoti wrote:

Photoeer wrote:

Any evidence of this besides your opinion? Giving that opinion the benefit of the doubt that the camera is only attractive to Pentax owners is that bad?

Did I claim to know for a fact that they won't review the camera? No? Then it's my opinion.
Would you disagree that DPReview focuses on what the majority of their audience is interested in? (It's not Pentax.)

They did add studio scene shots, a short video review, a preview article at announcement, recently sample shots for 2 limited lenses with merely new HD coatings ...

So yes I would disagree, there are facts showing that DPR still has some interest in Pentax products, and they do their review job.

About the audience: how do you know what the audience is interested in ? (not the same thing as interested in buying).

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +9 more
Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,685
You have the TV review
 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
OP kriztian Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
Re: You have the TV review

Thanks a lot Roland ( bad review on digital cameras though )

-- hide signature --

kriztian

Re: You have the TV review

kriztian wrote:

Thanks a lot Roland ( bad review on digital cameras though )

I think it is an honest evaluation. They were curious about and looked at it and told their opinion. And the opinion is, from their perspective, fair.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
Jon Donahue Contributing Member • Posts: 858

You don't think there's a good case of reportorial laziness going on? Copy-paste quickie rewrite time?

Jon Donahue's gear list:Jon Donahue's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70
Jon Donahue Contributing Member • Posts: 858

The larger question, Pentax aside, is whether there is any significant future market for cameras other than those in cell phones. Who will buy them once the 60+ age group passes on?

Jon Donahue's gear list:Jon Donahue's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70

Jon Donahue wrote:

The larger question, Pentax aside, is whether there is any significant future market for cameras other than those in cell phones. Who will buy them once the 60+ age group passes on?

Yes, there is a huge market for system cameras. You can start thinking sports, wildlife and camera interested amateurs. The latter are not only 60+.

It is compact cameras that have problems with phones. Why buy a cheap compact camera when you already have a camera in your phone.

Note though that the camera phones we are interested in are the ones with three or four camera modules for super wide, tele and zoom stuff. Very expensive phones. Most people just get a cheaper phone with a simple camera. And that simple camera is just wide angle. Not all that useful sometimes.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

PentUp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,007

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Jon Donahue wrote:

Yes, there is a huge market for system cameras. You can start thinking sports, wildlife and camera interested amateurs. The latter are not only 60+.

It is compact cameras that have problems with phones. Why buy a cheap compact camera when you already have a camera in your phone.

Note though that the camera phones we are interested in are the ones with three or four camera modules for super wide, tele and zoom stuff. Very expensive phones. Most people just get a cheaper phone with a simple camera. And that simple camera is just wide angle. Not all that useful sometimes.

My phone is just that .. a phone, that can also take photos, check and send email, surf the web, and stuff... I know that life will be complete when my DSLR can make phone calls!

Come on Pentax, hurry up with the Pentax DSLR phone... just as soon as you're finished working on my 55-550mm lens

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +11 more

PentUp wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Jon Donahue wrote:

My phone is just that .. a phone, that can also take photos, check and send email, surf the web, and stuff... I know that life will be complete when my DSLR can make phone calls!

Come on Pentax, hurry up with the Pentax DSLR phone... just as soon as you're finished working on my 55-550mm lens

Hmm .. a K-1 III that also can be used as a phone. I would say - a rather clumsy phone.

But, maybe it comes with head phones.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

ivarbg
ivarbg Forum Member • Posts: 66

Yes, the next Ricoh GR is ideal to be the first compact camera & phone in one 

ivarbg's gear list:ivarbg's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II
hikerdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,072

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Hmm .. a K-1 III that also can be used as a phone. I would say - a rather clumsy phone.

The ubiquitous Apple Watch links up to the iPhone. I can be outside, working in the garden with one hand and talking into my other wrist as the watch has linked up to the phone sitting in the kitchen. Put the phone in your pocket as you head out and let the microphone on that K1-III multitask. Tap accept on the touch screen, start talking and keep on shooting!

Now, if you could leave the camera with a mounted super tele in the car and have the phone link remotely to the lens…

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Apple iPhone 8

hikerdoc wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

The ubiquitous Apple Watch links up to the iPhone. I can be outside, working in the garden with one hand and talking into my other wrist as the watch has linked up to the phone sitting in the kitchen. Put the phone in your pocket as you head out and let the microphone on that K1-III multitask. Tap accept on the touch screen, start talking and keep on shooting!

OK

Now, if you could leave the camera with a mounted super tele in the car and have the phone link remotely to the lens…

See, you found a problem directly with that solution.

Having to walk around wit 1.5 kilo camera in order to have a phone I do not think sounds so attractive. I remember that I have seen pictures of the first "mobile" phones. You needed a car to make it mobile.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

John_A_G Veteran Member • Posts: 8,163
I partially agree but there is more

flektogon wrote:

Don Kiyoti wrote:

By now, there's very little interest in this camera outside of Pentax circles. I just don't think DPReview feels it's worth their time & effort.

Yes, you are absolutely correct! Pentax fans will buy this camera regardless how negative (potentially) such a review would sound, because there is no other Pentax body available. Non Pentax fans will never buy any Pentax body regardless how positive (potentially) such a review would sound, because they have other available bodies/lenses. So, why DPReview should bother?

How much market share does Pentax have?  Canon, Sony, Nikon, etc are going to be a higher priority because more people are interested in them.  And, in the overall market this camera is evolutionary, not revolutionary.  That, I believe, is the primary reason.

But, you're also on to something as well.  The Pentax faithful will blast every negative comment made about the camera.  Just look at any review someone has linked to - there are those faithful that jump out and attack the reviewer.

So, now you're DPR - you get income based on add clicks.  So, you're going to publish a review less people will read and thus click on adds and you're going to get endless grief for anything perceived by the faithful as suggesting the camera isn't the greatest invention of our time.

I think if the faithful who always slam these reviewers had to write reviews of non Pentax gear and get slammed by others for their reviews, they'd be less keen on doing it.  Especially, when it makes more business sense to review cameras more of the market is interested in anyway.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads