Sensor size of Huawei P50 Pro

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
ryder78 Contributing Member • Posts: 655
Sensor size of Huawei P50 Pro

I tried to google on the sensor size of the (main) 50MP rear camera on Huawei P50 Pro but this information appears to be unavailable. Even the review of the P50 Pro on Dxomark does not describe on the size of the sensor which is rather puzzling.

The more perplexing situation is the sensor size of the selfie front camera is described on Dxomark (13 MP 1/2.8″ sensor) but there's nothing on the main rear camera.

Does anybody know the size of the sensor of the main rear camera of the P50 Pro?

Nikon Coolpix P50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Panino Manino
Panino Manino Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Re: Sensor size of Huawei P50 Pro
YWG Senior Member • Posts: 1,203

ryder78 wrote:

I tried to google on the sensor size of the (main) 50MP rear camera on Huawei P50 Pro but this information appears to be unavailable. Even the review of the P50 Pro on Dxomark does not describe on the size of the sensor which is rather puzzling.

The more perplexing situation is the sensor size of the selfie front camera is described on Dxomark (13 MP 1/2.8″ sensor) but there's nothing on the main rear camera.

Does anybody know the size of the sensor of the main rear camera of the P50 Pro?

According to gsmarena, the main sensor is a 1/1.28".

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p50_pro-11029.php

I've always found actually getting a sense of dimensions and area hard to find from the phone manufacturer or reviewers. It looks to be mid 70mm^2 based on the 1/1.33" and 1/1.2" data points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

YWG's gear list:YWG's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Canon PowerShot G5 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II
_vlad Senior Member • Posts: 2,835

YWG wrote:

ryder78 wrote:

According to gsmarena, the main sensor is a 1/1.28".

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p50_pro-11029.php

I've always found actually getting a sense of dimensions and area hard to find from the phone manufacturer or reviewers. It looks to be mid 70mm^2 based on the 1/1.33" and 1/1.2" data points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

That is just prerelease info. GSM arena claims that they do not gurantee...
"... We can not guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct."

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
Parisian Forum Member • Posts: 53

hmm........... anyone knows?

Panino Manino
Panino Manino Contributing Member • Posts: 512

Parisian wrote:

hmm........... anyone knows?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4590767

Richard_CC Regular Member • Posts: 310

Why does anyone need to know?  Unless they want to try to impress their friends by saying "hey guys, my sensor is bigger than yours".

The way that data from multiple sensors gets combined and the processing generally makes the whole question irrelevant - what matters is the quality of the results.

Richard_CC wrote:

Why does anyone need to know? Unless they want to try to impress their friends by saying "hey guys, my sensor is bigger than yours".

The way that data from multiple sensors gets combined and the processing generally makes the whole question irrelevant - what matters is the quality of the results.

It might have some sense - as bigger sensor within same generation have less noise. But it is double-edged sword - because not having variable aperture - we face less DOF which some prefer some not.
Vlad

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
Edgar_in_Indy
Edgar_in_Indy Contributing Member • Posts: 542

ryder78 wrote:

I tried to google on the sensor size of the (main) 50MP rear camera on Huawei P50 Pro but this information appears to be unavailable.

Yes, we seem to have regressed back to the Megapixel Wars era. All that the pone manufacturers and most review sites want to talk about is how many megapixels the camera phones have. What are we up to now, 108 megapixels? It's a real joke.

Edgar_in_Indy's gear list:Edgar_in_Indy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic LX10 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony a6500
ClausG76 Regular Member • Posts: 109

Samsung recently announced a 200 MP sensor. It's supposed to be binned down to 12 MP.

One of the purposes of the high MP count is using it for digital zoom still preserving as much detail as possible, using it unbined while zooming.

ClausG76 wrote:

Samsung recently announced a 200 MP sensor. It's supposed to be binned down to 12 MP.

One of the purposes of the high MP count is using it for digital zoom still preserving as much detail as possible, using it unbined while zooming.

The problem is once you do not use the full MP sensor gives you, you are loosing DR, loosing the ability to preserve detail in lowlight and some other side-effects. Just compare how different in low light is pic binned from 50 MPix to 12,5MPix (zoom is 1x - so actually no zooming and phone can do all computing trickery) and how looks the pic digitally zoomed 2x or more from the same lens where cropping was applied. In good light it is quite good , once the light drops ... ufff. You are just trying to squeeze the juice out of stone (tiny pixels)

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Edgar_in_Indy
Edgar_in_Indy Contributing Member • Posts: 542

ClausG76 wrote:

Yeah, I don't buy that. It implies there is a "free lunch" when it comes to resolution. Whenever I've viewed the high MP cell phone files they've also been an utter mess at 100%. The small sensors simply don't hold up at high MP, so cropping into them isn't a great option.

Edgar_in_Indy's gear list:Edgar_in_Indy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic LX10 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony a6500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads