Sigma FP is not compatible with Western Digital P50 SSD

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Aleksei Mackevich New Member • Posts: 6
Sigma FP is not compatible with Western Digital P50 SSD

I recently purchased Sigma FP and Western Digital P50 SSD 2tb. I was planning on recording video to an external SSD and the Sigma FP has this kind of support.

When a disk is connected, the camera does not offer anything, the disk does not show any signs of power supply, the camera does not see the disk in the settings and does not allow formatting.

Separately, both the disk and the camera work perfectly with the computer through their bundled cables.

I also tried using several different cables, and formatted the external SSD in both NTFS and exFAT.

Thus, in the official list of accessories for Sigma FP, this external drive is not listed and in practice it turns out that it is not compatible.

I do not recommend buying Western Digital P50 SSD to work with Sigma FP.

Sigma fp
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,790
Re: Sigma FP is not compatible with Western Digital P50 SSD

Aleksei Mackevich wrote:

I recently purchased Sigma FP and Western Digital P50 SSD 2tb. I was planning on recording video to an external SSD and the Sigma FP has this kind of support.

When a disk is connected, the camera does not offer anything, the disk does not show any signs of power supply, the camera does not see the disk in the settings and does not allow formatting.

Separately, both the disk and the camera work perfectly with the computer through their bundled cables.

I also tried using several different cables, and formatted the external SSD in both NTFS and exFAT.

Thus, in the official list of accessories for Sigma FP, this external drive is not listed and in practice it turns out that it is not compatible.

I do not recommend buying Western Digital P50 SSD to work with Sigma FP.

Aleksei,

Thanks for the advice.

It would be wise always to check compatibility before purchasing anything.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
OP Aleksei Mackevich New Member • Posts: 6

Before buying, I checked the compatibility list, the problem is that where I live, devices from the list are no longer sold in large stores, although in principle it was possible to buy them.

amweber21 Regular Member • Posts: 162

Is there a possibility to update firmware on the Western Digital? I remember reports of the Samsung T7 not working until after an update. It's what made me nervous to try anything other than a Samsung T5.

amweber21's gear list:amweber21's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic S1 Sigma fp L Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 +12 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 29,895

Sigma's list of compatible drives etc is here:

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/special/fp/acc_recommend/

I would expect to have to buy by mail order.

Don

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp

Yes, everything is correct, as I wrote in the original post, this disk is not in the list of recommended devices, besides, if you were careful enough, you would find the postscript in your link " * This information is intended as a guide only and represents the results of limited in-house testing. Compatibility is in no way guaranteed nor officially supported "

Thank you, I have not found a way to update the firmware for the disk yet.

I found a way to update the disk firmware and found out that I have the latest version 1003

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,509

Thanks for letting us know about this compatibility issue Aleksei.

Sorry you had that problem. I've decided to get a Samsung T5, rather than the T7, because of compatibility issues of the newer drive with a variety of devices, which I've read about. I guess the companies that make the SSD devices can't make their newest drives compatible with all the older products, while also making them as fast as possible. That's too bad.

BTW, I think the Samsung T5 is considerably smaller and lighter than that WD black drive you got. (Yeah, I know, it's slower too.)

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads