Reflector help

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
SamNC Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Reflector help

I have a 4 month old baby so i am doing a ton of photos of him.  I think a reflector would be helpful, but not sure what kind or size to get.  Any suggestions?  I have three photography assistants (wife and older kids) to help with holding it etc... so i dont need one with a stand.  Right now i mainly shoot indoors.  I am intending to use it to resolve issues with shadows as light from windows can just hit one side of him.

As an aside, i recently got the nikon 105 f /1.4 E.  It is great for getting rid of distracting indoor backgrounds!  I got a D500 so it is a bit long, but i really like it.  I also have the 700 flash.

Nikon D50 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ellis Vener
MOD Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 15,760
Re: Reflector help

Any of the circular spring-rimmed ones that fold up  into a smaller circle will be fine as long as they have a white side. You don’t need one of those five-in-one versions.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
A working photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more
TheMerchantofVenice Regular Member • Posts: 267
If you want economical to experiment with first ........

.......... try a piece of white foam core.

If you find that working with a reflector suits you then look for something more expensive. If you don't happen to have a willing assistant immediately at hand to hold the foam core it's easy to score and fold into a V shape that is freestanding.

If you need a BIG one you can do what this fellow did(I recommend watching with the sound turned off )

It 's REAL easy to dump a bunch of money into lighting (you can ask my wife how I know this ) and then learn/discover that you got the wrong thing/don't use it enough to justify the cost.

I'm getting a little better about buying this sort of stuff, and doing enough paid jobs (for which I use foam core myself) to offset a bit of the cost, but it took a while

ronscuba Contributing Member • Posts: 883

Ellis Vener wrote:

Any of the circular spring-rimmed ones that fold up into a smaller circle will be fine as long as they have a white side. You don’t need one of those five-in-one versions.

Um, just a differing opinion.   The 5 in 1 does have it's uses and does not cost much more.  I use 4 of the 5.

Diffusion: to diffuse sunlight, strobe light, lamp light

White: to reflect white

Silver:  more intense reflection

Black: to cut like a flag or black side of a v-flat

Gold: have not used, but if you want to reflect golden..

Ellis Vener
MOD Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 15,760

ronscuba wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

Any of the circular spring-rimmed ones that fold up into a smaller circle will be fine as long as they have a white side. You don’t need one of those five-in-one versions.

Um, just a differing opinion. The 5 in 1 does have it's uses and does not cost much more. I use 4 of the 5.

Diffusion: to diffuse sunlight, strobe light, lamp light

White: to reflect white

Silver: more intense reflection

Black: to cut like a flag or black side of a v-flat

Gold: have not used, but if you want to reflect golden..

Good points Ron!

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
A working photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more
Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,960
Re: If you want economical to experiment with first ........

I was thinking foam core. In the US Walmart sells 20x30 inch sheets for two or three bucks -- hinge two with packing tape for a 30x40 reflector.

-- hide signature --

Personal pictures, kitty cats, road trips, and rural nostalgia:
https://www.instagram.com/j.r.sprawls/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads