This month with your Nikon 1 - August 2021

Started Aug 1, 2021 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 455
This month with your Nikon 1 - August 2021

First, myy apologies - starting into the new month, I just realized that I was offline at the beginning of July and completely missed creating the July thread. I'm still shooting my N1 equipment, but don't spend that much time online or at the PC in my sparetime, to compensate for 10+ hours in front of the screen on workdays. Sorry, again my apologies for missing it.

-- hide signature --

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2021: June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2020: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2019: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2018: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

--
WSSA Member #454 - Worldwide Squirrel Shooters Association

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
VanIslehiker Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - August 2021

I've been looking back at old pictures and playing with monochrome conversions using Silver Effects. I really like the V1 pictures when converted

VanIslehiker's gear list:VanIslehiker's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D500 Nikon Z5 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter +5 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290

Good to hear that you are OK - that’s the main thing.

richard

cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,320
Evening Walk Around Sasamat Lake

Thank you for starting this thread. The July thread was missed? We will survive.

These photos were taken about a week and a half ago. One evening, at around supper time, my wife and son made the impromptu decision to go for a walk around Sasamat Lake. Since I had to drive them out there, I went for the walk too. It was a pleasant experience.

I brought along my Nikon V2 and 1 Nikkor 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 lens and snapped a few photos during the walk. Here are some of them.

Sasamat Lake - looking towards White Pine Beach on the opposite side

Sasamat Lake - my better half starting to cross the bridge that spans the lake near the South end

Sasamat Lake - my better half and son walking ahead of me along a boardwalk that goes along part of the lake

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
iserp Forum Member • Posts: 54

Thank you for putting up the thread. It is a good way to see periodically what everyone is up to,

Griffin Vulture

I have been in a trip to the Pyrinees. One of the stops was a lookout where vultures nest nearby and fly very close. I also had the opportunity to photograph a bearded vulture, but those were flying much higher, and when one got closer, I did not manage to get focus on him.

Bearded Vulture

RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,456
Basic Transportation from July 31

Seen while out running daily errands. Captured with V2 and 10-100, my basic whatever kit.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

RichDitch

Very impressive Griffin's Vulture!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #449

Pedro

.. and Piper eating grass

RV

On our caravan storage site waiting for the engineer to do the habitation check, all alone among hundreds of shiny newish campers and caravans, snaps of this forelorn US RV

Nice lichen and moss

RichDitch
Re: RV

rich_cx139 wrote:

On our caravan storage site waiting for the engineer to do the habitation check, all alone among hundreds of shiny newish campers and caravans, snaps of this forelorn US RV

Nice lichen and moss

I'm likin' the lichen shot. I've had a very long running theme in my own photography that I call What Entropy Means to Me, a title I borrowed from a science fiction book form around the 1970's. This fits not that theme of decay very nicely.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #449

RichDitch wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

I'm likin' the lichen shot. I've had a very long running theme in my own photography that I call What Entropy Means to Me, a title I borrowed from a science fiction book form around the 1970's.

I don't know Effinger will look him out - did read a lot of Heinlein and his contemporaries etc

This fits not that theme of decay very nicely.

The flora will always beat the fauna ( and its creations ) - eventually.

The caravans around the RV were out a few days ago - some more interesting shots but I had left my camera behind.

richard

I like that - the subject and the way you have composed it.

Buildings often seem to me to look better in B&W.  I have never just gone out to photograph in B&W ( unless it was with film ).  Seems easier to look at the pictures later and then decide what may or may not work in monochrome.

richard

Re: Basic Transportation from July 31

Interesting to see these pics.  You have got some good and quirky  shots of old cars (autos)  and urban mechanicals and so on which I like.

That vehicle looks like someones pride and joy.  I rarely see these on the road here unless there is a vintage car rally in the nearby track.

My father used to do up old British cars like the Rileys.  The only trouble was that he insisted on using them to take us on holiday.  Very stylish no doubt but once one has spent 4 hours immobile on a nondescript road in North Wales while the valve stems were reground or the carb stripped and rebuilt ( both did happen ) then one wished for a Morris Minor ( a modern car in the 60's ) which did actually work - well most of the time.

richard

RichDitch

rich_cx139 wrote:

Interesting to see these pics. You have got some good and quirky shots of old cars (autos) and urban mechanicals and so on which I like.

That vehicle looks like someones pride and joy. I rarely see these on the road here unless there is a vintage car rally in the nearby track.

My father used to do up old British cars like the Rileys. The only trouble was that he insisted on using them to take us on holiday. Very stylish no doubt but once one has spent 4 hours immobile on a nondescript road in North Wales while the valve stems were reground or the carb stripped and rebuilt ( both did happen ) then one wished for a Morris Minor ( a modern car in the 60's ) which did actually work - well most of the time.

richard

Thanks.

There are a couple factors at play here, I think. If your are in the lower elevation parts of AZ (that includes Phoenix and Tucson) you don't have to deal with snow and the road salt that destroys metal car bodies. So it is easier to own and restore old cars. Also, the laws. in AZ are not as restrictive as their are in more civilized parts of the US, so such things as fenders windshields are strictly optional. Our paved roads are generally in good shape, without the car killing potholes of states that have to deal with winter. And there a lot of old geezers like me living here with lots of time on their hands.

Your comment got me thinking about some of the stranger things I've seen on AZ roads, so here's a bunch of shots pulled from my files taken over the years with whatever camera was my ride along kit at the time.

As seen in my rear view mirror as I drove to work one morning.

Another sight while headed to work one day.

A duct tape roof on the car next to me waiting for the light.

Another pickup in progress.

Can't afford a 4x4 pickup? Use your Honda Prelude instead.

I have no idea what this was or is supposed to be.

I'm glad I've only seen this one once.

Obstructing the view on the driver's window wouldn't be legal lots of places.

Super glue at work.

Merry Christmas!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #449

RichDitch wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

Interesting to see these pics. You have got some good and quirky shots of old cars (autos) and urban mechanicals and so on which I like.

That vehicle looks like someones pride and joy. I rarely see these on the road here unless there is a vintage car rally in the nearby track.

My father used to do up old British cars like the Rileys. The only trouble was that he insisted on using them to take us on holiday. Very stylish no doubt but once one has spent 4 hours immobile on a nondescript road in North Wales while the valve stems were reground or the carb stripped and rebuilt ( both did happen ) then one wished for a Morris Minor ( a modern car in the 60's ) which did actually work - well most of the time.

richard

Thanks.

There are a couple factors at play here, I think. If your are in the lower elevation parts of AZ (that includes Phoenix and Tucson) you don't have to deal with snow and the road salt that destroys metal car bodies. So it is easier to own and restore old cars. Also, the laws. in AZ are not as restrictive as their are in more civilized parts of the US, so such things as fenders windshields are strictly optional. Our paved roads are generally in good shape, without the car killing potholes of states that have to deal with winter. And there a lot of old geezers like me living here with lots of time on their hands.

Your comment got me thinking about some of the stranger things I've seen on AZ roads, so here's a bunch of shots pulled from my files taken over the years with whatever camera was my ride along kit at the time.

Super glue at work.

Merry Christmas!

Amazing Rich!  Thanks for digging these out - absolutely fascinating   The models stick to the bonnet just look weird ( and highly illegal in most places ).

Like the pimped up autos and the bumper sticker creepage.

Hadnt thought about longevity in a dry low humidity climate.  I tend to run my cars into the ground but before they actually got corrosion protection right,  what killed them off was when we were having to reweld the welds of panel sections and structural bits of the chassis.

opsonic Regular Member • Posts: 181

Shot with the newly acquired 1 V3 -- 30-110mm in jpg mode in color and the cameras monochrome.

-- hide signature --

JSturr
www.jsturr.com

opsonic's gear list:opsonic's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D3S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,293

VanIslehiker wrote:

I've been looking back at old pictures and playing with monochrome conversions using Silver Effects. I really like the V1 pictures when converted

Works great. I like Silver effect. I mostly use the high structure preset.

Very nice picture.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
André BARELIER
Re: Evening Walk Around Sasamat Lake

cyuill2007 wrote:

Thank you for starting this thread. The July thread was missed? We will survive.

These photos were taken about a week and a half ago. One evening, at around supper time, my wife and son made the impromptu decision to go for a walk around Sasamat Lake. Since I had to drive them out there, I went for the walk too. It was a pleasant experience.

I brought along my Nikon V2 and 1 Nikkor 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 lens and snapped a few photos during the walk. Here are some of them.

Sasamat Lake - looking towards White Pine Beach on the opposite side

Sasamat Lake - my better half starting to cross the bridge that spans the lake near the South end

Sasamat Lake - my better half and son walking ahead of me along a boardwalk that goes along part of the lake

Very nice. I like the skies. Seems like a very nice place to visit.

-- hide signature --

André

Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
André BARELIER

RichDitch wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

richard

Thanks.

Super glue at work.

Merry Christmas!

Wow, super set of pictures! We seldom see this kind of customized cars here in France.

The Honda Prelude is really impressive!

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER

rich_cx139 wrote:

Nice lichen and moss

Very nice set. I love the 3rd one. A great picture. Congrats !

-- hide signature --

André

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads