Basilica of St John, Des Moines, Iowa

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
gnagel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,070
Basilica of St John, Des Moines, Iowa
7

I was fortunate to gain private access to the Basilica of St John in Des Moines for a couple of hours. Here are a dozen images that I created during my visit:

1

From the balcony

2

Altar from the balcony

3

Holy cloth

4

Pipe organ and rose window

5

Panorama from the floor

6

Crucifix

7

Altar from the floor

8

Looking back from the sanctuary

9

Stained glass window

10

Altar looking up

11

Station of the cross

12

From the floor

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

donaldsc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,911
Re: Basilica of St John, Des Moines, Iowa

First of all - excellent exposures of what could have been difficult subjects.  My problem w most of them and I will admit that this is just personal taste is that all of the pictures are totally centered left-right and up-down.  I would have done the  aisle shots slightly off centered.  Just my opinion however and I suspect that you were setting up for the shots that you got.

-- hide signature --

Don

OP gnagel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,070
Re: Basilica of St John, Des Moines, Iowa

donaldsc wrote:

First of all - excellent exposures of what could have been difficult subjects. My problem w most of them and I will admit that this is just personal taste is that all of the pictures are totally centered left-right and up-down. I would have done the aisle shots slightly off centered. Just my opinion however and I suspect that you were setting up for the shots that you got.

Thanks Don...and I think your feedback is certainly valid. The configuration of the church made it challenging to get many images from off center...because the large granite columns mostly blocked my view as I shifted away from the center. I did try some...and I think this one worked better than most. One benefit of moving off center is that it provides more access to the stained glass windows within the frame...and of course some added depth.

One of the few "off center" compositions from the photo shoot...

Glenn

-- hide signature --
Nick5
Nick5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,442
Re: Basilica of St John, Des Moines, Iowa

Well done Glenn. I love shooting in the Basilicas and Cathedrals here in the US and in Europe.

 Nick5's gear list:Nick5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +8 more
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 5,419
Re: Basilica of St John, Des Moines, Iowa

gnagel wrote:

Of the architectural overview shots of the interior I like this one the best, it shows the grandness of the details nicely. I like how you lined up the stained glass windows in the two side naves so the one in the front on both sides is not obscured.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
OP gnagel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,070
Re: Basilica of St John, Des Moines, Iowa

Nick5 wrote:

Well done Glenn. I love shooting in the Basilicas and Cathedrals here in the US and in Europe.

Thanks Nick...I have photographed many cathedrals in the United States (nearly 250), but haven't visited any in Europe outside of Iceland. It's my understanding that many of the cathedrals in Europe aren't as tolerant of tripods, but maybe that's not the case.

Glenn

OP gnagel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,070
Re: Basilica of St John, Des Moines, Iowa

mfinley wrote:

gnagel wrote:

Of the architectural overview shots of the interior I like this one the best, it shows the grandness of the details nicely. I like how you lined up the stained glass windows in the two side naves so the one in the front on both sides is not obscured.

Thanks Mike...one thing that I noticed is that the closer I get to the altar, the more the stained glass windows become visible. For the shots taken from the back of the church, the pillars condense within the scene and pretty much eliminated the side walls.

Glenn

donaldsc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,911
Re: Basilica of St John, Des Moines, Iowa

I see your point.  On further consideration, I like your centered viewpoint better.

-- hide signature --

Don

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,805
Re: Basilica of St John, Des Moines, Iowa

donaldsc wrote:

I see your point. On further consideration, I like your centered viewpoint better.

Agree.  Some kinds of shots work best because of their symmetry, I think.  These sure did.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads