$1,500 Video camera, wireless mic, suggestions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
JT Nous
JT Nous New Member • Posts: 8
$1,500 Video camera, wireless mic, suggestions

I have $1,500 to buy a video camera and a wireless external microphone. Video camera will be used on a tripod or handheld to record people giving training sessions in an office, people making a meal in a kitchen, a person sitting at a table being interviewed, and people gardening outside.

These will NOT be professional quality productions. They will have a personal-family quality.

Lighting will always be good.

I would like to be able to zoom in.

Recording time may be up to 90 minutes.

The camera won't get wet, won't be subjected to harsh treatment, only operator ineptitude.

The videos will be edited and used for posting on Vimeo, YouTube, Facebook and a website.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

JT Nous's gear list:JT Nous's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P530 Nikon Z50
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,098
Re: $1,500 Video camera, wireless mic, suggestions

JT Nous wrote:

I have $1,500 to buy a video camera and a wireless external microphone. Video camera will be used on a tripod or handheld to record people giving training sessions in an office, people making a meal in a kitchen, a person sitting at a table being interviewed, and people gardening outside.

These will NOT be professional quality productions. They will have a personal-family quality.

My first thought is that if lighting is going to be good, then maybe a camcorder would be good. If you are going to shoot handheld you will want great In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS)

Do you mean zoom in WHILE actually filming??? That can be a challenge. Most consumer-level lenses will change the point of focus when you zoom in. So once you are zoomed in, the camera might have to "hunt" to find focus again.

Plus, you might suffer the very real issue of camera shake when zooming a lens.

A camcorder with a power zoom feature might be good here, too.

Otherwise, any mirrorless / dslr camera will need to be locked down tightly to a tripod.

Do you mean one continuous take would be 90 minutes long?

Some cameras have unlimited record times (and won't overheat).

Again, I think you might have more luck with a camcorder.

The camera won't get wet, won't be subjected to harsh treatment, only operator ineptitude.

The videos will be edited and used for posting on Vimeo, YouTube, Facebook and a website.

Regarding microphones, will you be recording ONE person at a time? If so, the EASIEST thing would be a wireless lavalier mic. However, some people insist on banging things in to the mic. Also there is an issue with clothing rustling against the mic.

That's why you often see people put a shotgun mic on the hotshoe of their camera. Problem is, if you are more than two feet away from the person talking, or if they are a bit off axis from the shotgun mic, then they will not sound particularly good.

Also, do you intend to shoot in 4K or 1080p? 1080p will be EASIER to edit on most computers, and will take up less space in storage. 4K has more resolution (more acuity), and it gives you the ability to crop in / zoom in during post if your final video will be 1080p.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 54

JT Nous wrote:

Thank You!

Two best options.

Panasonic G9 with 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 Lens for under $1200 here on Amazon

The G9 was updated recently to make it about the same as the Gh5, one of the best video cameras on the market.

It also was updated so the focusing is about as good as any camera.

Option 2

The X-S10 with one of the kit lenses.

Great video. Great color straight out of the camera with cinematic looking video.

-- hide signature --

- Tom James
F8 and be there!

Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,446

Would you prefer a dedicated video camera, or photo camera that also takes good video?

For hybrid shooting pictures and video, I'd say that Sony currently has the edge with servo zoom lenses and great autofocus.

Look at the Sony A6400 if you can use a tripod/video monopod or Sony A6600 if you are committed to handheld and need IBIS. You'll need a dummy battery and power bank to power the camera for 90 minutes.

The 16-50mm kit lens might be fine for a start, but the PZ 18-105mm f/4 would be a better option for the constant aperture and extra reach.

A Rode Wireless GO or Sennheiser XSW-D might be fine for short range, line-of-sight applications.

You may also consider a variable ND filter, Freewell has magnetic ones that looks interesting, but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

Paige Turner Regular Member • Posts: 210

JT Nous wrote:

Thank You!

FDR-AX53 Specifications | Camcorders | Sony US

This would be an excellent video camera, checking all the boxes you posted.  It's about $1100 so it fits in your budget.  You can use Full HD or 4k 30p.  Since you are mostly recording stationary things, 30p would be no problem but the HD would be excellent also.

Paige Turner's gear list:Paige Turner's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR +1 more
hobbit mob
hobbit mob Regular Member • Posts: 355

Paige Turner wrote:

JT Nous wrote:

Thank You!

This would be an excellent video camera, checking all the boxes you posted. It's about $1100 so it fits in your budget. You can use Full HD or 4k 30p. Since you are mostly recording stationary things, 30p would be no problem but the HD would be excellent also.

I second a camcorder, this one in particular - looks like it'll check your boxes.  A rode wireless 2 set is $300 and comes with two mics.  lav mics can be added for $50-100 each.  If you only needed one, you'd just hit your budget before taxes.  There are also similar, cheaper alternatives to the rode wireless go 2, that just seems to be the "lav setup of choice" for many semi-pro videographers.

For interviews, especially if it's just one talking head at a time, you might look at something like a tascam digital audio recorder with mic (around $170).  If you need to record multiple people speaking, a shotgun mic on a boom might be a better choice, but you'll add quite a bit to cost (since you'll likely need another tripod with a boom arm [or a boom operator] for it to work well)

-- hide signature --

Accelerating Entropy

hobbit mob's gear list:hobbit mob's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
JT Nous
OP JT Nous New Member • Posts: 8

Thank you Off The Mark, tjamp, Andrew S10, Paige Turner, and hobbit mob. While my budget is $1,500 you gave me at least $3,000 worth of advice! Without your guidance I might have purchased equipment that wouldn’t fit my needs.

I also acknowledge your years of experience in knowing all the considerations of video recording. You are kind to share your knowledge and experience.

I started reading about the FDR-AX53 Camcorder, the Rode Microphones Wireless GO II, and filters for the camcorder. When I decide I will post what I get, but that’s the equipment that does seem to fit my situation.

Thank You!

JT Nous

Do you mean zoom in WHILE actually filming??? That can be a challenge. Most consumer-level lenses will change the point of focus when you zoom in. So once you are zoomed in, the camera might have to "hunt" to find focus again.

ANSWER: Yes, I was thinking about zooming in while filming, your advice is a good "Aha, I didn't know that" moment." Thank you! With you caution, I will be happy to change the way I video.

A camcorder with a power zoom feature might be good here, too.

Otherwise, any mirrorless / dslr camera will need to be locked down tightly to a tripod.

Do you mean one continuous take would be 90 minutes long?

ANSWER: Yes, occasionally I would like to record a training class that could be 90 minutes..

Regarding microphones, will you be recording ONE person at a time? If so, the EASIEST thing would be a wireless lavalier mic.

ANSWER:  Yes, all recording will be of one person at a time.

Also, do you intend to shoot in 4K or 1080p?

ANSWER:  1080p.  And in truth I had not thought about that.  I appreciate your questions very much.  Thank You!

JT Nous

tjamp wrote:

Two best options.

Panasonic G9 with 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 Lens for under $1200 here on Amazon

The G9 was updated recently to make it about the same as the Gh5, one of the best video cameras on the market.

It also was updated so the focusing is about as good as any camera.

Option 2

The X-S10 with one of the kit lenses.

Great video. Great color straight out of the camera with cinematic looking video.

Tom, Thank you for the suggestions.  Those do look like good cameras. I appreciate your advice.

JT Nous

Would you prefer a dedicated video camera, or photo camera that also takes good video?

ANSWER:  Yes, I was thinking of a dedicated video camera.

You wrote:

A Rode Wireless GO or Sennheiser XSW-D might be fine for short range, line-of-sight applications.

You may also consider a variable ND filter, Freewell has magnetic ones that looks interesting, but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

RESPONSE: Thank you! You greatly helped in pointing me in the right direction regarding a mic.  The filter suggestion is super -- one of those things that would have taken me months to realize if I ever could on my own, LOL

Many thanks!

JT Nous

Paige Turner wrote:

This would be an excellent video camera, checking all the boxes you posted. It's about $1100 so it fits in your budget. You can use Full HD or 4k 30p. Since you are mostly recording stationary things, 30p would be no problem but the HD would be excellent also.

Paige, Thank you. That does look like a good choice.  And yes, my recording subjects will be mostly stationary.  Thanks for the comparison of the Full HD or 4k 30p.  Again, very good information for my situation.

I appreciate your suggestion and advice.  Both are very helpful as I venture into novice video.

JT Nous

hobbit mob wrote:

I second a camcorder, this one in particular - looks like it'll check your boxes. A rode wireless 2 set is $300 and comes with two mics. lav mics can be added for $50-100 each. If you only needed one, you'd just hit your budget before taxes. There are also similar, cheaper alternatives to the rode wireless go 2, that just seems to be the "lav setup of choice" for many semi-pro videographers.

For interviews, especially if it's just one talking head at a time, you might look at something like a tascam digital audio recorder with mic (around $170). If you need to record multiple people speaking, a shotgun mic on a boom might be a better choice, but you'll add quite a bit to cost (since you'll likely need another tripod with a boom arm [or a boom operator] for it to work well)

Excellent suggestions.  I especially like your mic suggestions and explanations. Very helpful and practical. You correctly assessed my knowledge and situation.

Thank You!

JT Nous

With everyone's good advice I ordered:

1. Sony - Handycam AX53 4K Flash Memory Premium Camcorder - Black
  2. Rode Microphones Wireless GO II Compact Microphone System W/2x Rode Microphone

Total without tax $1,556.99

I should be able to post my first video on Facebook this weekend.  Thanks again!

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,098

JT Nous wrote:

With everyone's good advice I ordered:

1. Sony - Handycam AX53 4K Flash Memory Premium Camcorder - Black
  2. Rode Microphones Wireless GO II Compact Microphone System W/2x Rode Microphone

Total without tax $1,556.99

I should be able to post my first video on Facebook this weekend. Thanks again!

Looking forward to seeing the results.

It would be a good idea to invest in a pair of decent headphones. They don't have to be GREAT, but decent enough and they should reduce outside noise.

Uncle Dunc on this forum has suggested getting a decent pair of DJ headphones, and that might be a good place to look.

You might start learning a little bit about how to use / hide a lav mic. The Rode wireless GOs are kind of big, so I don't know if you will be able to "hide" them per se, but if you got them with the plug-in lav mics, then you might be able to do something.

Do you know much about basic lighting? Something simple like just using a white reflector or one of those five-in-one reflectors can be handy.

Anyway, let us know if you have any other questions, either technical or artistic.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
Aaron55 New Member • Posts: 4

Hi lads

I'm between Canon C70 https://camix.co.uk/product/canon-eos-c70-camera/

And Canon 1D X MARK III https://camix.co.uk/product/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-dslr-camera-body/

I understand the C70 will need RF lenses but I can just but the adapter to use the EF lenses.

But I was wondering what the best for high quality videos. or maybe I need to pick another camcorder of the same seller off this link:

https://camix.co.uk/category/cameras/?swoof=1&product_cat=camcorders&really_curr_tax=16-product_cat

Thanks for help in Advance

buratino
buratino Contributing Member • Posts: 799

Aaron55 wrote:

Hi lads

I'm between Canon C70 https://camix.co.uk/product/canon-eos-c70-camera/

And Canon 1D X MARK III https://camix.co.uk/product/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-dslr-camera-body/

I understand the C70 will need RF lenses but I can just but the adapter to use the EF lenses.

But I was wondering what the best for high quality videos. or maybe I need to pick another camcorder of the same seller off this link:

https://camix.co.uk/category/cameras/?swoof=1&product_cat=camcorders&really_curr_tax=16-product_cat

Thanks for help in Advance

Just start a new thread with the appropriate heading: your question is not the best fit here, IMO.

buratino's gear list:buratino's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Aaron55 New Member • Posts: 4

ok thanks for letting me know

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads