Marco full Frame or MFT Sigma 105mm or Olympus 60mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
saab900 Junior Member • Posts: 45
Marco full Frame or MFT Sigma 105mm or Olympus 60mm

I currently have a Panasonic system comprising of a Panasonic G9 and a Panasonic S1, I'm looking for a modern decent lens for scanning my film negatives.

I'm thinking of purchasing one or the other a Olympus 60mm macro for MFT which will only be used for macro but half the price.

Or sigma 105mm 2.8 which I can use for macro and portraits but costs double.

My real question is does the 60mm Olympus stack up against the sigma 105mm in resolution.

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 2,264
Re: Marco full Frame or MFT Sigma 105mm or Olympus 60mm

oly 60 is one of the best macros. I have it and do use it sometimes. I use it and Tamron sp90 f017 ( have used most of the Tamrons ).

Nearly all macros are v good, optically in fact. The Sigma OS 105 is v good also.

I normally buy used and in that case its relatively inexpensive to try out, say the 60mm, and sell it if it won't do for you.

As you know, plenty of good cheap portrait lenses in the m43 system just the usual issue of subject separation and so on.

ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

saab900 wrote:

I currently have a Panasonic system comprising of a Panasonic G9 and a Panasonic S1, I'm looking for a modern decent lens for scanning my film negatives.

I'm thinking of purchasing one or the other a Olympus 60mm macro for MFT which will only be used for macro but half the price.

My real question is does the 60mm Olympus stack up against the sigma 105mm in resolution.

I believe (from theoretical considerations, not personal experience (I have an A7Riv and a Sony macro for it, not either of the Panasonic cameras or macro lenses you are considering)) that the full-frame option would win by enough margin for image quality to make it worthwhile. But those aren't the only considerations.

The image quality reasons:

1) It's easier to make a great lens for a larger format than for a smaller format (the tolerances don't have to be as tight, for the same total resolution (meaning line-pairs per height of sensor)).

2) The Sigma macro is years newer, and lens manufacture has improved in recent years. If you look at test reports, the Sigma is considered outstanding optically, the Oly 60mm is supposedly pretty good but I'm not sure I'd call it great. (IIRC, the only faults of the Sigma are slow AF and lack of optical stabilization).

3) the S1 has 24MP, the G9 has 20MP. A relatively-small difference, but still in favor of the full frame. The difference becomes even a bit further in favor of full frame if you are digitizing 35mm negatives, because the G9, being 4:3 aspect ratio, will not be able to make use of 1/9 of its pixels (2.2 MP) when photographing the 3:2 aspect ratio of 35mm film.

4) Both cameras you are considering have pixel shift, but the S1 is much newer, and supposedly can (somewhat) compensate for motion during pixel-shift. As far as I know, the G9 can't (and IIRC, when Imaging-Resource.com tested the G9 pixel-shift years ago, it was particularly prone to being ruined by camera motion/vibration).

Strictly speaking, for this application you shouldn't have any motion, but for other applications (i.e. close-ups in your garden), the S1 pixel-shift with motion compensation could be handy, if it works.

All wins for the Sigma 105 on the Panasonic S1.

BUT:

1) You have to ask yourself whether you need full-frame quality. That very much depends on how your output will be viewed. Remember, even a 4K display only needs about 9 megapixels. If, on the other hand, you want to print large, you might want to pull as much quality as you can.

2) Also, I do see some potential advantages for the Olympus 60mm on the Panasonic G9:

a) The Oly macro can image a smaller area. (1:1 on MFT covers a smaller subject area than 1:1 on full-frame). Not relevant to you, unless you are digitizing film smaller than standard 35mm, or have other very small subjects and uses you want it for.

(Even there, any smaller negatives might have been made with cheap optics that don't merit sacrificing better performance on the bulk of your archives, instead just do 1:1 on full-frame and crop-in later for any necessary cases. (And you could at least partly compensate by supplementing the Sigma's close-up capabilities with a screw-in achromatic diopter, or extension tubes or a teleconverter if they exist and will fit)).

b) The Oly macro is much smaller and very much lighter than the Sigma. That could be relevant for other uses of it, if traveling with it, or if you have carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc; otherwise perhaps not. Only you can answer your tolerance for the extra weight and bulk of the Sigma (and Panasonic S1).

PhotonBeam
PhotonBeam Regular Member • Posts: 204

Not sure which is best for your use case, but below are a couple from the Olympus 60mm that I like. I am a happy with the quality.

-- hide signature --
 PhotonBeam's gear list:PhotonBeam's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

PhotonBeam wrote:

Not sure which is best for your use case, but below are a couple from the Olympus 60mm that I like. I am a happy with the quality.

Very nice!

Your 3D subject brings to mind another issue, if the OP is also interested in other uses beyond his film digitizing. How do his two cameras compare in focus bracketing and/or stacking capabilities?

I know the Oly OM-D E-M1ii & iii have all sorts of bracketing and stacking capability. But I'm not sure about the OP's Pany S1 and G9. I think the S1 has those abilities from the full sensor. But on some of the Pany MFT cameras, I seem to recall it only being a JPEG result synthesized from a 4K sequence? But I'm not at all sure. Perhaps worth checking out, as an influence on purchase decision.

And whatever the bracketing/stacking capabilities of the two cameras, I'm not sure it works with other manufacturers' lenses, which is his situation. I know the Oly OM-D E-M1ii only does bracketing/stacking with SOME Oly lenses (which does includes the 60mm), and have no idea whether (whatever the G9's focus bracketing/stacking capabilities) it works with the Oly 60mm. Likewise, no idea whether whatever the Pany S1 capabilities, they work with the Sigma macro.

rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 2,264

Another thought: on scanning negs rather than general macro

since you want this to image 35mm? negatives, rather than pure macro where centre field is usually more important than the edges, then:

(1) you probably want to nearly fill the frame to get best utilisation of the sensor mpx. This means a repro of about 1:2 on the olympus cf 1:1 for the FF lens. This gives a larger working distance on the oly than the 120mm mwd at 1:1

(2) you need good corner sharpness and so low field curvature at the working aperture from the lens. They are probably both going to be OK but I do remember some comment on a copy of the 60mm from digilloyd about the 60 and field curvature. It’s difficult to tell from either sets of mtfs.

As people and I have said: the oly is an excellent macro lens however the requirements for repro graphics are slightly more taxing. Although I have several macro lenses including that 60mm oly, the only one I have used for neg/scanning reprographics is my nikkor 60mm af-d and that was designed specifically for that purpose.

Its a bit fiddly to test the oly for that ( and I only have a 16mpx em5 now in any case ) but maybe someone has used it for that purpose.

Still think the easiest/cheapest option is to try out the oly first. From using it ( at least my copy ) my bet is that it should be fine stopped down a bit if you need to.

A cheaper but still effective way would be to try a long FL lens with a good achromat ( most are good ) eg from marumi or a Canon or Nikon with the FL, focal distance and dioptres matched to fill frame ( there are macro calculators available on line for that ). Something like a 70-200 or even a 70-300 consumer zoom can work well or a good long prime - I use a 300/4 + nikon 6T but depends what lenses you have available in either of your systems.

edit just found this thread on using the oly 60 for digitising

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4523994

goid luck

richard

Strangefinder
Strangefinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,121
ART70mm Re: Marco full Frame or MFT Sigma 105mm or Olympus 60mm

saab900 wrote:

There is a third option which falls between the two in price, and approaches the 105mm in IQ:

The Sigma ART70mmF2.8 It is almost as new as the 105mm, and available directly in L-mount or in EF-mount* with the MC-21 providing AF/EXIF. Obviously a shorter working distance, and an SLR design (albeit very recent + advanced), but cheaper, lighter (605g vs 715g in L) and its handling compromises are less relevant for your use case.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/a018_70_28/

On the other hand, the 105mm apparently surpasses the much-praised Sony GM135 in acuity, so perhaps it’s worth the extra.

Or perhaps the 60mm is perfectly sufficient, and light enough to spur more general utility.

*The EF version could potentially be used on the G9, too, if you are willing to buy an expensive electronic adaptor from Metabones etc - though, it has some eccentricities so check compatibility first.

-- hide signature --

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” Malcolm X
"If lies can begin wars then the truth can end them." Jx/xxn Xssxngx
“Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always.” Gandhi

OP saab900 Junior Member • Posts: 45

Wow I didn't expect a well detailed reply but thank you, I think the 105mm sigma is the better option hopefully I will buy one soon.

Thanks 👍😊👍

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads