Geotagging

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
clickclack Senior Member • Posts: 1,542
Geotagging

I was wondering if there is a solution that comes with continuous connection to an external GPS device?

The FujiFilm app allows for transmitting the GPS-coordinates, but it closes the connection with the camera after some time. To get it up and running again, it takes a little time, which I don't mind too much, unless you are in a group with other people with less patience (planning a photo trip next year).

Thanks!

Michel

Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 4,677
Re: Geotagging

The best solution I've come up with is to use a geologging app on my phone, then use an app on my computer to marry this information with the photos in post. That obviates all connection issues, I always have my phone with me, and it's often getting fixes anyway. I find constant logging uses 10% more battery a day.

Personally I use Gaia GPS on my iPhone, and HoudahGeo on my Mac.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
OP clickclack Senior Member • Posts: 1,542

Barry Twycross wrote:

The best solution I've come up with is to use a geologging app on my phone, then use an app on my computer to marry this information with the photos in post. That obviates all connection issues, I always have my phone with me, and it's often getting fixes anyway. I find constant logging uses 10% more battery a day.

Ok, thank you very much! I will look into this!

Oreip
Oreip New Member • Posts: 4

I've been using Geotag Photos 2 on iOS for a few years now. The synchronization with Lightroom works well.

https://piero-rossi.ch

NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 2,067

Another option, for completeness:

The solution that others are giving with Geotagging apps on the phone, synced up later, can be done the same way with your stand-alone GPS device of course, if you're carrying one (like a Garmin clipped to your belt or bag).

If you're using a GPS device already, just have it recording a tracklog, then sync your images up with the .GPX file later. It's best if you save the tracklog on a daily basis, so you have .GPX files named by date, easily sorted through when you get home.

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
SrMi
SrMi Senior Member • Posts: 2,296

Barry Twycross wrote:

I agree that is the most reliable solution. However, I have two issues with that solution:

- Must remember to start the app on the phone.

- Must synchronize the clocks between camera and phone.

The easiest solution is to have the camera get the coordinates from the phone, but you may have some images without coordinates as it takes time to re-establish the connection.

SrMi wrote:

I agree that is the most reliable solution. However, I have two issues with that solution:

I leave it running all the time when I'm in a situation when I'll care, like when I'm on vacation.

You can do that retroactively if you mess it up.

Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
SrMi

Barry Twycross wrote:

SrMi wrote:

I leave it running all the time when I'm in a situation when I'll care, like when I'm on vacation.

I am thinking of taking an image of my phone’s clock ( with seconds).

OP clickclack Senior Member • Posts: 1,542

Thank you all for these ideas! I need to try it. If it is possible to correct the time afterwards, it should be a good solution.

NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 2,067

Barry Twycross wrote:

Can you please mention how is this done—edit the GXP file?

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

I wouldn't do that, GPS has a very accurate time reference (the satellites have atomic clocks on board), it's the photos you need to change. I'd expect the tagging app to have a function to do it, mine does. I'd expect your DAM to have a time offset function, mine does. If all else fails, you can edit the exif, it's relatively easy to offset the time step with exiftool.

SrMi

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

Chris

Lightroom has an option to add offset to the GPX data before the coordinates are assigned to photos.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads