The end of the compact camera

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Bob A L Veteran Member • Posts: 3,215
Re: The end of the compact camera

I respectfully disagree. But will not try to explain.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,452
Re: The end of the compact camera
1

DOA. The phone is just as good, if not better, and always at my side. RX100III will soon have to leave my house. Convenience wins.

-- hide signature --

Michael Klein

Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,623
Re: The end of the compact camera
2

TacticDesigns wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Ed B wrote:

It will be a long time before compact cameras are completely replaced by cell phones.

Two thumbs up on that!

+1

I hope compact cameras remain around.

When I retire . . . I am not going to want to keep upgrading my cellphone just so I can have a pocketable image making device. LOL. Instead, I think I might get a dumbphone that doesn't really need to be upgraded.

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-3310-3G-Unlocked-T-Mobile/dp/B075FL4H89/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Nokia+3310&qid=1627576441&sr=8-1

Instead . . . dumbphone + compact camera.

Currently, compact cameras don't really go obsolete. As long as it can write a JPG file (or RAW for that matter) to an SD Card, then I get pictures from it.

I am still using a Pentax ist DS dSLR camera that was released in 2004. It still writes JPG (and RAW) files to an SD Card. So it is still a viable image making device for me! 17 years and still useful. I don't have a cellphone that is that old and still useful.

I also have a Fujifilm XP50 that was released in 2012 that is still working. 9-year-old compact camera that is still relevant! I have tossed a WiFi SD Card adapter (that takes micro-SD cards) into it so I can transfer pictures from the camera to my cellphone via. WiFi if I want.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-M

I agree that once a person has a camera they like, whether it's an interchangeable lens camera or a simple compact, there's no reason to "upgrade" unless the desire for something new is overwhelming and, that's been true for me a few times.

Just the same, my favorite camera is a 9-year old RX1 that I'll probably keep using until it stops working.

Fogel70
Fogel70 Senior Member • Posts: 1,547
Re: The end of the compact camera

Bob A L wrote:

I respectfully disagree. But will not try to explain.

Ok. then it is not easy to know what you mean.

But, do you really believe that making the software in a large sensor smartphone stop down the aperture is more difficult than to make fake DOF with a small sensor smartphone?

 Fogel70's gear list:Fogel70's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Pentax K-7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 Pentax K-3 II +25 more
jaberg
jaberg Regular Member • Posts: 364
Re: The end of the compact camera

Ed B wrote:

Cameras like the Leica Q series, the Sony RX1 series, Fuji X100 series and the Ricoh GR series are all compact cameras that are "better" than any cell phone.

I have an X100V. In fact I would declare it to be “my camera”. The XS10 e comes out only for special situations with long/adapted lenses.

I don’t consider the 100 series or the Qs to be “compact” for the purposes of this discussion.

 jaberg's gear list:jaberg's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR +2 more
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 4,216
Re: The end of the compact camera

jaberg wrote:

Ed B wrote:

Cameras like the Leica Q series, the Sony RX1 series, Fuji X100 series and the Ricoh GR series are all compact cameras that are "better" than any cell phone.

I have an X100V. In fact I would declare it to be “my camera”. The XS10 e comes out only for special situations with long/adapted lenses.

I don’t consider the 100 series or the Qs to be “compact” for the purposes of this discussion.

Yeah there is a distinction between "fixed lens" and "small."

 BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD +1 more
jaberg
jaberg Regular Member • Posts: 364
Re: The end of the compact camera

Fogel70 wrote:

Bob A L wrote:

I respectfully disagree. But will not try to explain.

Ok. then it is not easy to know what you mean.

But, do you really believe that making the software in a large sensor smartphone stop down the aperture is more difficult than to make fake DOF with a small sensor smartphone?

Unless a physical aperture is part of the camera module Bob is spot on. It’s much easier to calculate  bokeh than to ”focus”  blurr.

 jaberg's gear list:jaberg's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR +2 more
Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 3,144
Re: The end of the compact camera

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

The DSLR/MILC market is already being hollowed out by phones so that I suspect in a few years there will only be high end / high margin digital cameras being made at all.  I doubt if there will be a significant investment in compact cameras when almost all the functionality for almost all the users can be achieved by a phone.

I haven't seen any compact camera released in the past year and longer. What is your opinion.

I would like to see the camera industrie make a compact camera that outperforms the performance of a smartphone, but with the inteligence of the smartphone. A compact camera has more room for better optics and a larger sensor so it should not be difficult to produce a compact camera that outperforms a smartphone if we put the intelegence of a smartphone in the camera.

The question that remains is: what do we think is "compact"?

I would say something like a sony rx100 would be compact.

Fogel70
Fogel70 Senior Member • Posts: 1,547
Re: The end of the compact camera

jaberg wrote:

Fogel70 wrote:

Bob A L wrote:

I respectfully disagree. But will not try to explain.

Ok. then it is not easy to know what you mean.

But, do you really believe that making the software in a large sensor smartphone stop down the aperture is more difficult than to make fake DOF with a small sensor smartphone?

Unless a physical aperture is part of the camera module Bob is spot on. It’s much easier to calculate bokeh than to ”focus” blurr.

Of course a large sensor camera has a variable aperture. It is only on small sensor cameras it is pointless with variable aperture, as it would only make the images more blurry by stopping down.

 Fogel70's gear list:Fogel70's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Pentax K-7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 Pentax K-3 II +25 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 60,045
Re: The end of the compact camera
1

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

No. The future has ended for the compact camera as we know them. The reason that most people used compact cameras has been completely swallowed up by smartphones and then some. A few die hards will hang onto them like some hang onto film but for both it’s just a niche future.

I haven't seen any compact camera released in the past year and longer. What is your opinion.

I would like to see the camera industrie make a compact camera that outperforms the performance of a smartphone, but with the inteligence of the smartphone. A compact camera has more room for better optics and a larger sensor so it should not be difficult to produce a compact camera that outperforms a smartphone if we put the intelegence of a smartphone in the camera.

The question that remains is: what do we think is "compact"?

I would say something like a sony rx100 would be compact.

-- hide signature --

Treat your Friends like Photos. Light them at their best.

 mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Travis Nicky Bombastus
Travis Nicky Bombastus Regular Member • Posts: 393
Re: The end of the compact camera

mamallama wrote:

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

No. The future has ended for the compact camera as we know them. The reason that most people used compact cameras has been completely swallowed up by smartphones and then some. A few die hards will hang onto them like some hang onto film but for both it’s just a niche future.

In a few years, this might end up being true for most other "real cameras" as well--a few die hards hanging onto them, not because they produce superior results, but simply because they like the "form and process"--kinda like sticking with the rotary dial phone because you like the feel of putting your finger in the hole and rotating the dial.

I haven't seen any compact camera released in the past year and longer. What is your opinion.

I would like to see the camera industrie make a compact camera that outperforms the performance of a smartphone, but with the inteligence of the smartphone. A compact camera has more room for better optics and a larger sensor so it should not be difficult to produce a compact camera that outperforms a smartphone if we put the intelegence of a smartphone in the camera.

The question that remains is: what do we think is "compact"?

I would say something like a sony rx100 would be compact.

Revenant Regular Member • Posts: 225
Re: The end of the compact camera
1

davidedric wrote:

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

I haven't seen any compact camera released in the past year and longer. What is your opinion.

I think there is a future (else I wouldn't have the RX100 vii), but I've no idea of the size of the market.

If we use the CIPA shipping data as proxy for market size, then ~3.5m "cameras with built-in lens" (i.e. compacts and bridge cameras) were shipped worldwide in 2020, and ~1.2m so far this year. That's almost 40% of the market for dedicated cameras in 2020, and about 35% this year. In other words, a substantial part of the market in terms of unit volume, but it's not nearly as profitable as the ILC segment, especially mirrorless.

And by the way, Ricoh released a tough compact earlier this year, the WG-7. It seems to only be available in Japan, though.

dan the man p Contributing Member • Posts: 722
Re: The end of the compact camera

It's hard to say. I think some demand for high-end compact cameras will remain, but whether it's enough demand to justify continuing to produce them is uncertain.

 dan the man p's gear list:dan the man p's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 1,736
It's not the end until i quit using mine
3

I got at least two compact cameras around me at all times and don't see why this would change. I also use my phone when I need to send pics quickly over www, but the two solutions work together.

The day i quit using compacts will be the day the compact camera sector will be officially dead.

So.... Around 2055 ? That's plenty of time for other compact camera owners to be using theirs.

Until then, here's a random sample(edited, resized):

 Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 60,045
Re: It's not the end until i quit using mine

Rambow wrote:

I got at least two compact cameras around me at all times and don't see why this would change. I also use my phone when I need to send pics quickly over www, but the two solutions work together.

The day i quit using compacts will be the day the compact camera sector will be officially dead.

Sorry but the industry is not defined by what you do.

So.... Around 2055 ? That's plenty of time for other compact camera owners to be using theirs.

Until then, here's a random sample(edited, resized):

 mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,548
Re: The end of the compact camera
1

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

This has been covered so many times:

"Compact cameras are pretty much dead": Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

...and then eventually leads into another twilight zone of phones vs cameras scenario...yawn!

-M

 Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 +11 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 60,045
Re: The end of the compact camera

Lensmate wrote:

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

This has been covered so many times:

"Compact cameras are pretty much dead": Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

...and then eventually leads into another twilight zone of phones vs cameras scenario...yawn!

-M

Some people want a second or third or ... nth opinion and there are many opinions out there. That one from 2017 is old.

 mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,548
Re: The end of the compact camera
3

mamallama wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

This has been covered so many times:

"Compact cameras are pretty much dead": Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

...and then eventually leads into another twilight zone of phones vs cameras scenario...yawn!

-M

Some people want a second or third or ... nth opinion and there are many opinions out there. That one from 2017 is old.

It might be a few years old, but not much has changed opinion wise, other than a flurry of pro phone warriors.

Since the original release of the Sony RX100 back in 2012, Sony has been pushing updates to the camera and releasing one new iteration every year. This means that as of today, we have had a total of 8 such releases. Goes to show good compacts are not dead.

-M

 Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 +11 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 60,045
Re: The end of the compact camera

Lensmate wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

This has been covered so many times:

"Compact cameras are pretty much dead": Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

...and then eventually leads into another twilight zone of phones vs cameras scenario...yawn!

-M

Some people want a second or third or ... nth opinion and there are many opinions out there. That one from 2017 is old.

It might be a few years old, but not much has changed opinion wise, other than a flurry of pro phone warriors.

Since the original release of the Sony RX100 back in 2012, Sony has been pushing updates to the camera and releasing one new iteration every year. This means that as of today, we have had a total of 8 such releases. Goes to show good compacts are not dead.

-M

8 releases since 2012 - whopee!!

 mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,548
Re: The end of the compact camera
6

mamallama wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

This has been covered so many times:

"Compact cameras are pretty much dead": Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

...and then eventually leads into another twilight zone of phones vs cameras scenario...yawn!

-M

Some people want a second or third or ... nth opinion and there are many opinions out there. That one from 2017 is old.

It might be a few years old, but not much has changed opinion wise, other than a flurry of pro phone warriors.

Since the original release of the Sony RX100 back in 2012, Sony has been pushing updates to the camera and releasing one new iteration every year. This means that as of today, we have had a total of 8 such releases. Goes to show good compacts are not dead.

-M

8 releases since 2012 - whopee!!

I have the first iteration and yes, it was a whoopie when I bought the RX100vii because of the extra reach and AF speed. RX100 VII has 90fps bursts and the Sony A9-Level AF performance. That is a big wow factor. Try it sometime, it'll wipe that smirk from your face...

-M

 Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads