What am i doing wrong?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Jeep_Joseph
Jeep_Joseph Regular Member • Posts: 276
What am i doing wrong?

I keep trying to get good star trails with the perseids, yet for some reason it seems impossible. I have gone out for hours, yet haven't had anything worthwhile. I have a d600 and a zeiss distagon 25mm 2.8 zf.2 if that helps. Here is a photo showing what i mean. Any tips on improvement?

Jeep_Joseph's gear list:Jeep_Joseph's gear list
Nikon D3S Pentax K-5 Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 +16 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
82Virago Regular Member • Posts: 322
Re: What am i doing wrong?

I am not clear on what you are asking. Your picture looks like it was relatively short, from a star trails perspective, and also seems shot under not very dark conditions.

Those mind blowing star trail pics you may have seen are HOURS long exposures, or stacks of many many pics over a long night of shooting.

How long was the exposure in your picture? If you had stayed out and shot several more, you could stack and have a more complete picture.

Post more detail on what you are attempting to do and we can help get you there.

Cheers

Jeep_Joseph
OP Jeep_Joseph Regular Member • Posts: 276

Thanks, according to metadata the photo was only about 10 mins long...but i know i had stayed out for about 3 hours and had stacked all the photos from that night into one. I was hoping for something like this, albeit i know i am no where near this good

swimswithtrout Veteran Member • Posts: 3,871

Jeep_Joseph wrote:

Thanks, according to metadata the photo was only about 10 mins long...but i know i had stayed out for about 3 hours and had stacked all the photos from that night into one. I was hoping for something like this, albeit i know i am no where near this good

Metadata or not, the trails in the first photo look to be about 10-20 minutes at most. Recheck your stacking procedure.

Jeep_Joseph

Thanks, any tips on stacking?

Gergob Junior Member • Posts: 31

The image you're referring to was a computer generated image. You can take 20x2 minute exposures and drop it in software like StarStaX. It'll create those long star trails for you.

Jeep_Joseph

Oh, I didn't know that thanks for the info

DGCA03
DGCA03 Regular Member • Posts: 113

If it were me, I'd want to get the regular stars without any trails, and then have the Perseids shooting through the image (leaving the trails instead). So about 15 seconds per image, stacked to your liking. The sky will be much darker too.

DGCA03's gear list:DGCA03's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads