Pink frames R5

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Oswego Regular Member • Posts: 143
Pink frames R5

I get these from time to time on my R5.  The first time I thought it was just the lighting, but I was outside in the bushes.

 Oswego's gear list:Oswego's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z6 II Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
evertdoorn Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: Pink frames R5
2

might be an error with the card, or something within the camera which causes errors while writing to the card? If you shoot dual slots, and shoot the same file (for example) to both cards you could compare.

achill3s Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Pink frames R5
1

Oswego wrote:

I get these from time to time on my R5. The first time I thought it was just the lighting, but I was outside in the bushes.

Looks like you enabled "fly vision" by mistake. Try resetting the camera and see if it keeps happening.

 achill3s's gear list:achill3s's gear list
Canon EOS R5
OP Oswego Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Pink frames R5

I do. I will check it when I’m home.

 Oswego's gear list:Oswego's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z6 II Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
FotografMagnus Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: Pink frames R5

Most like it's caused by a memory card problem, but i still have to write the more far fetched theories such as electrical or magnetic field interference and possibly also card writer issue in the camera. Maybe also card reader issue on your computer.
/ Magnus

 FotografMagnus's gear list:FotografMagnus's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 25,309
Re: Pink frames R5

Oswego wrote:

I get these from time to time on my R5. The first time I thought it was just the lighting, but I was outside in the bushes.

Did you shoot RAW? If you did, compare a conversion to the embedded JPEG. If the black horizontal lines are there in both, then it is the sensor readout, or at least it happened in the camera before going to the card. If they are only in one, then it may be a card problem (but could still be a camera problem).

The curvy moire patterns are the black lines clashing against the lens distortion correction, and could be absent with a different converter or when disabling distortion correction.

"Pink" is not the real problem here, it is probably one of the results of the real problem.

-- hide signature --

Beware of correct answers to wrong questions.
John
http://www.pbase.com/image/55384958.jpg

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,035
Re: Pink frames R5
2

Was this on the CF Express card or the SD card? or both? How did you download your images? Card reader? Cable? WiFi? Is the image distorted when viewing on the camera's LCD?

I've seen this kind of error with a bad card reader, but it could be the card as well.

OP Oswego Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Pink frames R5

It was on the CF Express card.  It is a ProGrade 128 gb card.  I see the distorted images as I review the images in camera.  I checked the jpeg images that are recorded to the SD card and they have the distortion as well.

 Oswego's gear list:Oswego's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z6 II Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Otaraka Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: Pink frames R5

Tried a different lens, preferably a recent Canon EF/RF?  Thats all I can think of, then Id say its the camera.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 25,309
Re: Pink frames R5

Oswego wrote:

It was on the CF Express card. It is a ProGrade 128 gb card. I see the distorted images as I review the images in camera. I checked the jpeg images that are recorded to the SD card and they have the distortion as well.

Then it is clearly occurring internally in the camera, which is what I assumed to be true, because card problems are not likely to cause patterns like that, especially with JPEGs, which do not have individual pixel lines to be read or written; JPEGs work one 8x8 tile at a time in the channels of its own color space, and usually gives tiled corruption artifacts.

The two outer of the three panels are getting blank (black) horizontal RAW pixel lines, and probably auto white balance is tinting the image wrongly because of that. What color is it if you use a WB appropriate for the light? I would guess normal in the center panel.

-- hide signature --

Beware of correct answers to wrong questions.
John
http://www.pbase.com/image/55384958.jpg

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,714
Re: Pink frames R5

John Sheehy wrote:

Oswego wrote:

It was on the CF Express card. It is a ProGrade 128 gb card. I see the distorted images as I review the images in camera. I checked the jpeg images that are recorded to the SD card and they have the distortion as well.

Then it is clearly occurring internally in the camera, which is what I assumed to be true, because card problems are not likely to cause patterns like that, especially with JPEGs, which do not have individual pixel lines to be read or written; JPEGs work one 8x8 tile at a time in the channels of its own color space, and usually gives tiled corruption artifacts.

The two outer of the three panels are getting blank (black) horizontal RAW pixel lines, and probably auto white balance is tinting the image wrongly because of that. What color is it if you use a WB appropriate for the light? I would guess normal in the center panel.

Did you notice that the lines are actually not quite horizontal? Also if you scan around the striped areas at 1:1 you will see what looks like sharp physical 'dust' in some areas. There's something very odd about this.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 25,309
Re: Pink frames R5

Steve Balcombe wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

Oswego wrote:

It was on the CF Express card. It is a ProGrade 128 gb card. I see the distorted images as I review the images in camera. I checked the jpeg images that are recorded to the SD card and they have the distortion as well.

Then it is clearly occurring internally in the camera, which is what I assumed to be true, because card problems are not likely to cause patterns like that, especially with JPEGs, which do not have individual pixel lines to be read or written; JPEGs work one 8x8 tile at a time in the channels of its own color space, and usually gives tiled corruption artifacts.

The two outer of the three panels are getting blank (black) horizontal RAW pixel lines, and probably auto white balance is tinting the image wrongly because of that. What color is it if you use a WB appropriate for the light? I would guess normal in the center panel.

Did you notice that the lines are actually not quite horizontal? Also if you scan around the striped areas at 1:1 you will see what looks like sharp physical 'dust' in some areas. There's something very odd about this.

There is lens correction, the reason for the rings where the dark lines are. That's what happens to perfectly straight RAW lines after lens correction. The dark specs look to me like mapped out pixels that are getting their median value from high contrast edges of the blank/black lines. You usually don't notice them, because the lines would have values that were not black right next to lines with high values from exposure, and they would not stick out like that. It shows how many mapped-out pixels there really are.

-- hide signature --

Beware of correct answers to wrong questions.
John
http://www.pbase.com/image/55384958.jpg

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,714
Re: Pink frames R5

John Sheehy wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

Oswego wrote:

It was on the CF Express card. It is a ProGrade 128 gb card. I see the distorted images as I review the images in camera. I checked the jpeg images that are recorded to the SD card and they have the distortion as well.

Then it is clearly occurring internally in the camera, which is what I assumed to be true, because card problems are not likely to cause patterns like that, especially with JPEGs, which do not have individual pixel lines to be read or written; JPEGs work one 8x8 tile at a time in the channels of its own color space, and usually gives tiled corruption artifacts.

The two outer of the three panels are getting blank (black) horizontal RAW pixel lines, and probably auto white balance is tinting the image wrongly because of that. What color is it if you use a WB appropriate for the light? I would guess normal in the center panel.

Did you notice that the lines are actually not quite horizontal? Also if you scan around the striped areas at 1:1 you will see what looks like sharp physical 'dust' in some areas. There's something very odd about this.

There is lens correction, the reason for the rings where the dark lines are. That's what happens to perfectly straight RAW lines after lens correction.

Ah you're right, it's added barrel distortion (i.e. subtracted pincushion). I should have realised.

The dark specs look to me like mapped out pixels that are getting their median value from high contrast edges of the blank/black lines. You usually don't notice them, because the lines would have values that were not black right next to lines with high values from exposure, and they would not stick out like that. It shows how many mapped-out pixels there really are.

Wow, amazing if true.

Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,779
Re: Pink frames R5
2

Oswego wrote:

I get these from time to time on my R5. The first time I thought it was just the lighting, but I was outside in the bushes.

If the same pattern repeats in different shots, it's highly unlikely to be a memory card failure.

Check it with a different lens and try to carefully clean the contacts on the lens and in the mount. I had a similar issue on 5DIV with sorry contacts. For some reason it caused very similar artefacts.

 Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
davidra
davidra Regular Member • Posts: 142
Re: Pink frames R5
1

I had something like that but it greatly improved when I unchecked Profile Corrections in Lightroom.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 25,309
Re: Pink frames R5
2

davidra wrote:

I had something like that but it greatly improved when I unchecked Profile Corrections in Lightroom.

This is a sensor read error where 2/3s of the pixels in some of the horizontal lines (the left and right thirds) are mistakenly read as black, and that is what is driving the extreme moire from the lens correction, and the wrong white balance.  The lens corrections are necessary to get the moire, but the corrections themselves would never cause extreme moire without some inequity in reading the original data, whether it be skipped data, as in this case, or if the two RAW green channels are not calibrated together (usually a shallower moire effect).

-- hide signature --

Beware of correct answers to wrong questions.
John
http://www.pbase.com/image/55384958.jpg

davidra
davidra Regular Member • Posts: 142
Re: Pink frames R5

John Sheehy wrote:

davidra wrote:

I had something like that but it greatly improved when I unchecked Profile Corrections in Lightroom.

This is a sensor read error where 2/3s of the pixels in some of the horizontal lines (the left and right thirds) are mistakenly read as black, and that is what is driving the extreme moire from the lens correction, and the wrong white balance. The lens corrections are necessary to get the moire, but the corrections themselves would never cause extreme moire without some inequity in reading the original data, whether it be skipped data, as in this case, or if the two RAW green channels are not calibrated together (usually a shallower moire effect).

That blew right by me, but in translation, is this sensor error a permanent problem with, for example, an RP sensor? This only appeared on a few of my pics and it was essentially invisible until I pushed the shadows brighter. What to do to correct?

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 25,309
Re: Pink frames R5

davidra wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

davidra wrote:

I had something like that but it greatly improved when I unchecked Profile Corrections in Lightroom.

This is a sensor read error where 2/3s of the pixels in some of the horizontal lines (the left and right thirds) are mistakenly read as black, and that is what is driving the extreme moire from the lens correction, and the wrong white balance. The lens corrections are necessary to get the moire, but the corrections themselves would never cause extreme moire without some inequity in reading the original data, whether it be skipped data, as in this case, or if the two RAW green channels are not calibrated together (usually a shallower moire effect).

That blew right by me, but in translation, is this sensor error a permanent problem with, for example, an RP sensor? This only appeared on a few of my pics and it was essentially invisible until I pushed the shadows brighter. What to do to correct?

What aspects of the OP's image were also showing in yours? Just the color problem? The moire problem? The dark horizontal stripes on the left and right thirds of the image?

-- hide signature --

Beware of correct answers to wrong questions.
John
http://www.pbase.com/image/55384958.jpg

OP Oswego Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Pink frames R5
2

So, I send it on last Wednesday I believe.  Just got it back and according to the paperwork they replaced the main circuit board.  If there are any other issues I will let you know, but I am impressed by the turn around.  I haven't had a camera sent in before, but this is amazing.

 Oswego's gear list:Oswego's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z6 II Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads