AD/Evolv 200 Pro color temperature shift.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
AndKPhoto New Member • Posts: 11
AD/Evolv 200 Pro color temperature shift.

I own the eVOLV 200 Pro, and its color temperature with the fresnel head is 500 kelvin cooler than my Xplor 600 Pro. (The 600 tests around 5600-5800, the 200 at 6100-6300). I replaced the fresnel head, but the issue still persists.

My speedlights also tend to be a tad on the cooler side, depending on power output, so part of me is wondering if it is the 600 Pro instead. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? I bought the 200 pro to replace my speedlights (when only two flashes are needed), due to the better color control.

It makes using the 600 as key, and the 200 as fill difficult. The flashbulb head for the 200 Pro doesn't have that problem, but it might be color cast from the rooms I have tested it in.

Attached are 3 unedited photos showing the problem in real life. In the latter two you can see that I switched the light's positions, but it made no difference.

AndKPhoto's gear list:AndKPhoto's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
psartman
psartman Regular Member • Posts: 289
Re: AD/Evolv 200 Pro color temperature shift.

Use a warming gel in he AD200. You might be able to semi-permanently install one by slipping off the fresnel lens and snapping it back in.

psartman's gear list:psartman's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +2 more
tugwilson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,436

Are both the lights in Stable Colour Temperature Mode?

I'd get an 18% grey target and get a better measurement of the colour temperature. Illuminate them without any modifier at a range of power settings. Shoot RAW and get your post processing software to set the colour temperature.

If the bare bulb head doesn't have this problem is there any reason not to use it instead?

OP AndKPhoto New Member • Posts: 11

Both lights are in stable color temp mode, and I did test them with an 18% grey target.  The bare bulb head gives the right temp, but it is too delicate for my work.

Thanks for the ideas, I will continue to test things out.

AndKPhoto's gear list:AndKPhoto's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
tugwilson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,436

AndKPhoto wrote:

Both lights are in stable color temp mode, and I did test them with an 18% grey target. The bare bulb head gives the right temp, but it is too delicate for my work.

You might consider the round head, It has the bare bulb element but is enclosed. I've never used the fresnel in anger and have pretty much abandoned the bear bulb for the round head ( really only use the bare bulb in the small snoot).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads