Color gamuit question

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Charles Martorelli Forum Member • Posts: 58
Color gamuit question

Most of my work is displayed on the web now a days. Is wide gamut still like Abobe RGB still a must for monitors. Or is a good sRGB display enough.

Charles Martorelli's gear list:Charles Martorelli's gear list
Nikon D750
Magnus3D Regular Member • Posts: 235
Re: Color gamuit question

For online publishing you only need to worry about sRGB. The rest are more for print and serious video work.

/ Magnus

Magnus3D's gear list:Magnus3D's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,094

From the perspectives of “tangible facts” or “hard evidence” the answer is quite likely no, you don’t need a wide gamut monitor.

IMO, there’s still some wiggle room where personal preferences come into play though. You may have a personal preference of telling yourself you want to work within the widest “buckets” of colors you can and then reduce them down to sRGB for your final output. Conversely, you may prefer to just do all your work within the potential “constraint” of sRGB from the get go. Neither perspective is right or wrong. It’s just a matter of what you want and whether any additional expenses or workflow items are personally worth it for you to achieve those desires.

Then there are personal circumstances that can come into play. By this, I pretty much mean the color content of images you’re creating or that already exist in your library. I owned a wide gamut monitor for about 10 years before it recently failed. I shot my images RAW when available and used a fully color managed workflow making use of wide gamut working spaces. In all that time, I think I had maybe 5-10 images that I ever noticed a visible change on screen when I converted their profiles “down” to sRGB.

The color content of your images, however, might very well be the opposite. A majority of yours might contain colors that benefit from color spaces outside of sRGB. It really depends on what the content of the images are and how you went about capturing/creating them.

bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,971

If you have to ask then stay with sRGB.

But you can learn if interested.

For practical purposes if you shoot hi bit/big color space raw, and have optimal color perception, you can see the wider gamut that an RGB monitor provides under optimal circumstances, screen brightness being a significant factor. JPEG shooters need not apply.

If you send the original 16 bit processed file to someone with a similarly wide gamut monitor they too can potentially see the wider color gamut in the image.

No one else can see those colors.

Still you can easily demonstrate to yourself the benefit of processing hi bit/big color space raw images on an sRGB monitor even though you never see anything other than an sRGB version of the image. Optimal processing of a 16 bit image on an 8 bit monitor yields the optimal 8 bit version of the image.

No ink-jet printer/paper can fully reproduce monitor RGB and the internet is an sRGB at best world. CMYK offset processes are even more restricted in gamut. If you do not know how to convert your 16 bit RGB masterpiece to 8 bit sRGB and correctly proof it on your RGB monitor havoc ensues.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
OP Charles Martorelli Forum Member • Posts: 58

Some more context to my question. My 27’ iMac died so I need a new computer now. I am thinking Mac mini w/ a27’ sRGB display or a 24’ m1 iMac. That is what my budget allows.

Charles Martorelli's gear list:Charles Martorelli's gear list
Nikon D750
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 11,544

Charles Martorelli wrote:

Some more context to my question. My 27’ iMac died so I need a new computer now. I am thinking Mac mini w/ a27’ sRGB display or a 24’ m1 iMac. That is what my budget allows.

For information on that, you will need to visit the "Mac Talk" forum; that's off-topic here.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,691

Charles Martorelli wrote:

PC Talk forum instead of Mac Talk?

The new iMacs look pretty good, and I would get one if my iMac suddenly failed, although I'd be more interested in the models to be introduced later this year. I would suggest getting one with 16 GB RAM, and the drive capacity doesn't matter if you store your photos on an external drive.

By all means, edit in the wider P3 color space, but I would suggest converting the image to sRGB if you are going to display them on the web, also be sure to save the image profile in the image. There are a couple of issues here: if the person has color management turned on, then whatever color space you use should be handled well enough if you embed the profile, but if they do not have color management and have a typical monitor, then sRGB would look better.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads