Canon Pixma Pro 100s: ink 1/4 gone after 10 small prints

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Classick
Classick Forum Member • Posts: 52
Canon Pixma Pro 100s: ink 1/4 gone after 10 small prints

Hello printer & printing folks,

Three weeks ago I purchased a new Canon Pro 100s from John Lewis, UK. I know that these printers are not cheap to run but I am concerned how the Supply Level is showing me ~1/4 used after printing ten 6x4 photos and one single A4 photo (mixture of colour and B&Ws). The details:

- I have printed on Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy 2 paper.

- I am using the original Canon ink cartridges.

- For half the prints I did them directly from my iPhones AirPrint, but stopped this due to poor print quality (images were dull).

- The other half I have printed from the Macs native Preview application. I set the correct paper type and size.

It seems to me there are 3 options:

1. This the sort of ink duration I can expect, and at this rate, the ink will run finish by about 40 small 6x4 photos. This does not seem right.

2. There is a problem with my printer/ink

3. The Macs Supply Level preview is not accurate.

Hoping someone with experience printing with the Pixma Pro 100 can help me work out what maybe going on? I have attached

As always, many thanks!

Classick's gear list:Classick's gear list
Nikon D500 Leica CL Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G +2 more
Canon Pixma Pro-100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 2,984
Re: Canon Pixma Pro 100s: ink 1/4 gone after 10 small prints

I use the Pro 1000 variant of the Canon printers , I have to say that perhaps you were not aware of the amount of ink used to charge the lines and head. Even with the larger printers you end up with only about 1/4/ to 1/3 of the initial ink purchased , when the setup stuff is over.

If you can get over the shock , the next set will last longer because this initialisation is done . The A2 unit I use costs around £500 to fill up , and though it is a big layout, they last far longer because they are 80ml each. I get my ink from  https://www.ipfstore.co.uk , and find their prices for the Pro stuff to be quite good.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

dtrph Contributing Member • Posts: 771

I don't have a MAC but from the image posted I can tell you that this is not an accurate representation of your true ink levels. For one thing it's displaying all inks at the same level. That is HIGHLY unlikely as the ink colors are used disproportionately in producing images. In my experience the PRO100 is a reasonably economical quality printer.

Red River has an extensive write up on ink usage/cost if you're interested in knowing more from true experts:

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/rr/cost-of-inkjet-printing-canon-pro-100.html

Nevertheless, the challenging cost of inks with the PRO100 is the small cartridges.  I used OEM at first then switched to PC inks and after many years of usage I have saved plenty with no complaints or discernable differences.   Photography can be an expensive hobby and I'm not looking to sell anything just for my own use and fun.  The prints don't have to outlive me.

Be well and safe, Dan.

-- hide signature --

dancph

dtrph's gear list:dtrph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony a99 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +4 more
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,857

1.  You have a new printer under warranty.  So don't worry.

2. Those bars to me look about 1/6 down, not 1/4.

3. The Canon ink level indications in my experience across several Canon printers is that they don't move linearly.  But usually indicate levels in "chunks."

4. I expect that you will be able to print for a while before another such jump.

5. Don't baby the printer.  I would just use it and enjoy it.

Best.

Maximilian59 Forum Member • Posts: 77

There is no problem with it. Canon does not show many steps. You made 40 small ones, which is the about the same as 10 A4 and A4. As an estimation you can use 1ml/A4. That gives 11 ml or more if you printed borderless. A CLI-42 contains 13ml of ink. With the initialisation you may have now used absit 2 ml of each color, which is somewhat 15%. If the display of the levels has 20 or even less steps, what I never checked, then it is completely normal what you see now. It is not 1/4 of the whole length of the what you see.

Cheers,

Maximilian

Maximilian59's gear list:Maximilian59's gear list
Canon Pixma Pro-100 +3 more
John_Hoffman
John_Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 2,070

Classick wrote:

Hello printer & printing folks,

Three weeks ago I purchased a new Canon Pro 100s from John Lewis, UK. I know that these printers are not cheap to run but I am concerned how the Supply Level is showing me ~1/4 used after printing ten 6x4 photos and one single A4 photo (mixture of colour and B&Ws). The details:

- I have printed on Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy 2 paper.

- I am using the original Canon ink cartridges.

- For half the prints I did them directly from my iPhones AirPrint, but stopped this due to poor print quality (images were dull).

- The other half I have printed from the Macs native Preview application. I set the correct paper type and size.

It seems to me there are 3 options:

1. This the sort of ink duration I can expect, and at this rate, the ink will run finish by about 40 small 6x4 photos. This does not seem right.

2. There is a problem with my printer/ink

3. The Macs Supply Level preview is not accurate.

Hoping someone with experience printing with the Pixma Pro 100 can help me work out what maybe going on? I have attached

As always, many thanks!

As the sentence below the graph says, levels are approximate.

-- hide signature --

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John_Hoffman's gear list:John_Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
lacogada Contributing Member • Posts: 789

Classick wrote:

As other's have mentioned, ink levels will normally be at different levels.

Ink level image below is after printing : 4 - 12 x 18 (full color) and 2 - 8 x 10 with only large black text.

I had done a fresh re-fill before printing.

Classick
OP Classick Forum Member • Posts: 52

Cheers everyone. The ink levels showed a different quantity per cartridge just after printing, and returned to show those equal levels later. I'll not worry about it print feely, and see how it has gone when the ink has actually almost finished.

There is no problem with it. Canon does not show many steps. You made 40 small ones, which is the about the same as 10 A4 and A4.

Maximilian

Nope, I've printed 10 small ones and one A4 so far.

-- hide signature --

Everything looks better through a Film VF.

Classick's gear list:Classick's gear list
Nikon D500 Leica CL Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G +2 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 19,317

Classick wrote:

Cheers everyone. The ink levels showed a different quantity per cartridge just after printing, and returned to show those equal levels later. I'll not worry about it print feely, and see how it has gone when the ink has actually almost finished.

There is no problem with it. Canon does not show many steps. You made 40 small ones, which is the about the same as 10 A4 and A4.

Maximilian

Nope, I've printed 10 small ones and one A4 so far.

remember every time the printer says the ink is out just keep printing ,it will eventually stop ,but you get an extra 20 a4 prints my pro 10s doesnt leave any ink in the tanks.

Don

-- hide signature --

Sony A7r2 , A6300
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1, em5mk2, em1mk2.

john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 5,862

Ken60 wrote:

I use the Pro 1000 variant of the Canon printers , I have to say that perhaps you were not aware of the amount of ink used to charge the lines and head. Even with the larger printers you end up with only about 1/4/ to 1/3 of the initial ink purchased , when the setup stuff is over.

If you can get over the shock , the next set will last longer because this initialisation is done . The A2 unit I use costs around £500 to fill up , and though it is a big layout, they last far longer because they are 80ml each. I get my ink from https://www.ipfstore.co.uk , and find their prices for the Pro stuff to be quite good.

The Pro 100 has the ink cartridges mounted in the print head; there are no "lines" and the amount of ink required to charge the system is negligible.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more

Yes John you are right , I am not that hot on the small printers . I guess the head charge must have a toll above normal .   I think if there was one area where Canon could improve their machines, it is in the little things like ink usage reporting . Strange that I have a costing table in the software, telling me how many ml's  I use on each print .... but a visual indicator bar that seems rather arbitrary.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

Ken60 wrote:

Yes John you are right , I am not that hot on the small printers . I guess the head charge must have a toll above normal . I think if there was one area where Canon could improve their machines, it is in the little things like ink usage reporting . Strange that I have a costing table in the software, telling me how many ml's I use on each print .... but a visual indicator bar that seems rather arbitrary.

I assume the accuracy of both are the same.  The constant issue of accuracy vs precision.

Or 3.14159 +/- 2

At any rate, I have two Pro 100's, and I really like them, especially with the latest firmware update that extended the maximum length print.

I run OEM ink on one, and Precision Colors refill ink on the other.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more

john isaacs wrote:

Ken60 wrote:

Yes John you are right , I am not that hot on the small printers . I guess the head charge must have a toll above normal . I think if there was one area where Canon could improve their machines, it is in the little things like ink usage reporting . Strange that I have a costing table in the software, telling me how many ml's I use on each print .... but a visual indicator bar that seems rather arbitrary.

I assume the accuracy of both are the same. The constant issue of accuracy vs precision.

Or 3.14159 +/- 2

At any rate, I have two Pro 100's, and I really like them, especially with the latest firmware update that extended the maximum length print.

I run OEM ink on one, and Precision Colors refill ink on the other.

My mistake.  The PRO-100's had decent print length already, and they don't have a firmware update.  It was the PRO-1000 that had a firmware update to increase print length.

My Bad.

Yes I use the Pro 1000, and the new firmware was an amazing  gift for owners. Suddenly we were free to enjoy the full potential of this amazing printer.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads