help me decide on Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70

Started 3 months ago | Questions
bridge77 Regular Member • Posts: 218
help me decide on Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70

this looks to be an excellent bridge camera for me.  currently i use a canon sx-30 and was planning on going to the sx-40 or sx-50 until the prices inflated.

so what else is out there with equivalent quality?  i am looking for LONG reach, at least 1200mm and rapid shooting ability. my current sx-30 shoots at 1 frame per second if that, so may miss the ideal shot.

the camera will also be used for nature photography, so more is more in regards to telephoto ability.  i have a dslr, but not the large bank account for Canon L nature lenses, so a bridge camera will have to do.

also needed are replaceable batteries.  i like the ability to pull the battery out of the camera and charge it up. also i buy extra batteries and chargers on amazon.

never have owned a panasonic, so don't know how they compare with canon or nikon. they seem to make good radios and other things, so maybe their cameras are good?

i have also considered the FZ80 but it has no image stabilizer on it.  that was a big HUH???  sure i could probably keep my shutter speed high, but what a pain, or haul a tripod around everywhere. that kind of destroys the idea of using a bridge camera, which should be the convenience of compact and do all approach to photography.

there probably are better cameras, but the price tags are usually double or triple more than the camera in question.  i get that part, but will listen anyway.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,304
Re: help me decide on Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70

FZ80 certainly does have image stabilization.  It's basically an FZ70 with upgraded software, so it handles 4K video and related features

https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DC-FZ80K.html

A lot depends on whether or not you want a camera which will be sharp when viewed at 100%. My experience with my FZ70 and FZ80 is that the camera is rather soft at the long end, and pretty much everything I've seen posted at full zoom which is "sharp" is also downsampled to 3mpx or so.

The Nikon P950 has a far better lens and will give you much sharper images at ISO 100-200, or if you process raw. At ISO 400 and above the JPG engine tends to smear. The menu choices are not quite as flexible as the Panasonic's, but sufficient to handle most situations.

Consider your own goals and resources in making the choice.  For me, I carry the P950 and the FZ80 sits on the shelf unless I have a very specific reason (related to the 4K features) for using it.

Lots of P950 samples in my album below. The P900 album samples would represent what I've obtained from JPGs,  since it didn't save as raw.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P950
OP bridge77 Regular Member • Posts: 218

sherman_levine wrote:

FZ80 certainly does have image stabilization. It's basically an FZ70 with upgraded software, so it handles 4K video and related features

https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DC-FZ80K.html

A lot depends on whether or not you want a camera which will be sharp when viewed at 100%. My experience with my FZ70 and FZ80 is that the camera is rather soft at the long end, and pretty much everything I've seen posted at full zoom which is "sharp" is also downsampled to 3mpx or so.

The Nikon P950 has a far better lens and will give you much sharper images at ISO 100-200, or if you process raw. At ISO 400 and above the JPG engine tends to smear. The menu choices are not quite as flexible as the Panasonic's, but sufficient to handle most situations.

Consider your own goals and resources in making the choice. For me, I carry the P950 and the FZ80 sits on the shelf unless I have a very specific reason (related to the 4K features) for using it.

Lots of P950 samples in my album below. The P900 album samples would represent what I've obtained from JPGs, since it didn't save as raw.

thanks. i need to look up the image stabilization on the FZ80.

for some reason i was lead to believe it had none, which didn't make a bit of sense to me as almost all of even the cheapest point and shoots have that basic feature.

i figured this forum may know.

the nikon p950 is an excellent bridge camera, probably much better than canon's sx50 or sx70 for that matter; of course always at the double or triple price.

soft at the long end is good enuf if i can make the shot. nature shots require long telephoto, and most shooters can't afford the lens required to do that. canon's 1,200mm L lens goes for about 100k dollars, not happening for most.

so i sit at a fork in the road, i can still get a better canon SX or go with panasonic FZ. hmmmm.

Edit, LUMIX FZ80 4K Point and Shoot Long Zoom Camera with 18.1 Megapixels - DC-FZ80K

DC-FZ80K

Features

• Exclusive 4K PHOTO combined with 4K video capture performance.
  • 18.1MP sensor resolution.
  • Optically stabilized 20-1200mm (60X) LUMIX DC VARIO lens
  • Fast and accurate focusing utilizing LUMIX DFD focusing system.
  • Travel ready USB Charging.
  • Wi-Fi connection to a mobile device.
  • High resolution 1,170k-dot viewfinder, and touch enabled LCD display
Ontarian Senior Member • Posts: 1,925

Have you looked at the Sony RX10 iv or iii at all.  More expensive, but considered by many as the best bridge camera by far.

I'm trying to decide upon it, the Pany G9 or the Oly e-m1-ii.

Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,509

Would recommend you do some Google searches to find FZ80 (or FZ70) reviews with full size images (e.g., Imaging Resource FZ80 Review HERE) you can view/ download to see image quality as all the small 1/2.3" 18+ MP sensors have lot of image noise at ISO 400+.

You might find Imaging Resource's "The best longest-zooming cameras of 2014" (HERE) interesting as the article/ image comparisons include the FZ70, SX60 HS, and the SX50 HS.

The venerable SX50 HS has attained somewhat of a cult status with some, hence its value has appreciated—especially one in 'good' condition.

If truly interested in the FZ80, take a look at Graham Houghton's YouTube:
"FZ80/82 Tutorials" (HERE).

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +16 more

Ontarian wrote:

Have you looked at the Sony RX10 iv or iii at all. More expensive, but considered by many as the best bridge camera by far.

thanks.  no haven't considered sony, i am just trying to scope out my options beyond the canon sx50 or better.  don't need it right away, but it is good to know the field and watch the reviews.  the FZ seems good, just not great.  don't think i need great, for me it is more about getting the shot, than winning photo contests.

originally it seemed that the canon sx30 would be good for birding and then it seemed to do everything else ok, but not great. when i don't need telephoto reach, the canon rebels step in for the job.

the bridge cameras are a lot more convenient for summer/family travel.  eventually i may sell my canon rebel and mostly use these bridge cameras.

i have a canon xs not worth selling and does a good enuf job as a beater/backup camera.  too bad canon can't make an inexpensive telephoto for their rebel cameras with long reach, the experts say not possible.

Jon_T wrote:

Would recommend you do some Google searches to find FZ80 (or FZ70) reviews with full size images (e.g., Imaging Resource FZ80 Review HERE) you can view/ download to see image quality as all the small 1/2.3" 18+ MP sensors have lot of image noise at ISO 400+.

You might find Imaging Resource's "The best longest-zooming cameras of 2014" (HERE) interesting as the article/ image comparisons include the FZ70, SX60 HS, and the SX50 HS.

The venerable SX50 HS has attained somewhat of a cult status with some, hence its value has appreciated—especially one in 'good' condition.

If truly interested in the FZ80, take a look at Graham Houghton's YouTube:
"FZ80/82 Tutorials" (HERE).

Cheers,
Jon

thanks Jon, i note in your extensive gear list some experience with these issues. the sx50 is intersting, in the space of a year of less it's value has doubled. the sx40 has done about the same, so i went with the sx30 instead and found that the bridge camera works quite well for me most of the time.

>>>The best longest-zooming cameras of 2014

excellent article. interesting how the sx50 beat out the sx60, that should have never happened. maybe they fixed that in the sx70, come on canon.

Edit, Houghton's FZ80 videos are a hought (hoot).  the fz 70/80 are very economical so it will be interesting to see what he has found. also more consideration in your other article on sony/fuji/olympus; even though they would be used, my selection consideration is getting larger.

Jon_T

bridge77 wrote:

<SNIP>

thanks Jon, ...

You're welcome.

i note in your extensive gear list some experience with these issues. the sx50 is intersting, in the space of a year of less it's value has doubled. the sx40 has done about the same, so i went with the sx30 instead and found that the bridge camera works quite well for me most of the time.

>>>The best longest-zooming cameras of 2014

excellent article. interesting how the sx50 beat out the sx60, that should have never happened. ....

Real quite simple -- pixel size.

The 1/2.3" sensor area size is only 6.17mm x 4.55mm (28.07 sq. mm)

With more pixels , the pixel area size is smaller resulting in higher image noise at the same ISO settings.

The SX50 HS 12 MP pixel area is 2.34µm2; vs the SX60 HS pixel area size of 1.98µm2. The SX50 HS pixels have a 18% larger pixel area.

... maybe they fixed that in the sx70, come on canon....

Possibly better than the SX60 at base ISO. Still the same small 1/2.3" sensor size that higher pixel density requires pixels with smaller surface area.

I give Kudos to Nikon staying with 16 MP sensor with their current Coolpix super-zoom bridge-type cameras.

Just keep in mind that all the small super-zoom bridge-type cameras with 1/2.3" sensor have small max apertures at the tele-focal lengths are going to NEED good daylight to use lower ISO's and be able to use fast enough shutter speeds.

Cheers,
Jon

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +16 more
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 21,542
FZ80

bridge77 wrote:

It works really good, IMHO.

This FZ80 shot I took came in 5th place in DPReview challenge:

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1191640&View=Results&Rows=4

1/20th at 1200mm , handheld. Subject is indoors and behind glass

for some reason i was lead to believe it had none, which didn't make a bit of sense to me as almost all of even the cheapest point and shoots have that basic feature.

the nikon p950 is an excellent bridge camera, probably much better than canon's sx50 or sx70 for that matter; of course always at the double or triple price.

I thinks it a great superzoom. Amazing details at 2000mm.

Amazing VR. Can handhold at 1/80th at 2000mm.

some things are better with the FZ80.

Few FZ80 shots :

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4146990

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Re: FZ80

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

Few FZ80 shots :

Stay healthy

ANAYV

thanks, i looked up your review and note that you have used the sx50 also.  do the two cameras compare?  it seems that you would favor the fz80.

yesterday, i called up my fave camera dealer and they are short of everything, no bridge cameras at all.  he suggested the nikon 950/900.

bridge77 wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

Few FZ80 shots :

Stay healthy

ANAYV

thanks, i looked up your review and note that you have used the sx50 also.

Yes I did. Sx50 has the better I.Q.

Only the P950 seems to have same level I.Q

FZ80 I.Q. is not at same level. Its lower.

P950 has much better VR ( 5.5 stops...Nikons best ever.)

do the two cameras compare?

FZ80 is faster...has better EVF..much better AF...way faster fps shooting....4k video...assignable function buttons...toughscreen...better ergonomics....8MP stills from 4k video ...lower resolution to 8MP and you get 1699mm reach.....but no tilt/ swivel LCD

it seems that you would favor the fz80.

Well...depends. If you are OK with a bit lower I.Q. then its a better overall camera...and way more fun to use.

yesterday, i called up my fave camera dealer and they are short of everything, no bridge cameras at all. he suggested the nikon 950/900.

P950 is a great superzoom camera...and my favorite of all. I owned over 12 of them...since 2004.

Hope this helps

Stay healthy

ANAYV

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

Few FZ80 shots :

Stay healthy

ANAYV

FZ80 is faster...has better EVF..much better AF...way faster fps shooting....4k video...assignable function buttons...toughscreen...better ergonomics....8MP stills from 4k video ...lower resolution to 8MP and you get 1699mm reach.....but no tilt/ swivel LCD

Well...depends. If you are OK with a bit lower I.Q. then its a better overall camera...and way more fun to use.

yesterday, i called up my fave camera dealer and they are short of everything, no bridge cameras at all. he suggested the nikon 950/900.

P950 is a great superzoom camera...and my favorite of all. I owned over 12 of them...since 2004.

Hope this helps

Stay healthy

ANAYV

lower IQ is ok if not too bad, for me it is about getting the shot regardless how close or far something is.

about the only thing left is durability.

canon seems to be durable as well as nikon, but the sx50 is getting old and the FZ80 can be bought new.

i am unaware as to the durability of Panasonic; in general their other products seem to be of good quality, perhaps as good as Canon?

Anayv would you have an opinion on the quality/durability of Panasonic?  thanks

bridge77 wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

Few FZ80 shots :

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Hope this helps

Stay healthy

ANAYV

lower IQ is ok if not too bad, for me it is about getting the shot regardless how close or far something is.

canon seems to be durable as well as nikon, but the sx50 is getting old and the FZ80 can be bought new.

i am unaware as to the durability of Panasonic; in general their other products seem to be of good quality, perhaps as good as Canon?

Anayv would you have an opinion on the quality/durability of Panasonic? thanks

Very durable.

My FZ80 has over 100,000 images taken.

It also fell while shooting family video...lens was at wide angle...but fell onto carpet...about 5 feet.

Still works !!!

Stay healthy

ANAYV

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

Few FZ80 shots :

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Hope this helps

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Very durable.

It also fell while shooting family video...lens was at wide angle...but fell onto carpet...about 5 feet.

Still works !!!

Stay healthy

ANAYV

thanks.   100,000 shots, don't think the most of us will get even close to that or a fraction of that.  and with no mirror flip to go bad,  the durability box gets checked.

falling is unpredictable, i got a bunch of wrist straps off from Amazon, very cheap.  mostly i use the neck straps from canon or a tripod.

my concern with canon is that as these cameras age, there is the possibility for the electronics to get whacked out.  the FZ80 is close to the sx50 used, durability may be the deciding factor.

i found a FZ70 for about 150, but i think the features of the FZ80 could be more worth while.

bridge77 wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

Few FZ80 shots :

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Hope this helps

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Very durable.

Still works !!!

Stay healthy

ANAYV

thanks. 100,000 shots, don't think the most of us will get even close to that or a fraction of that. and with no mirror flip to go bad, the durability box gets checked.

falling is unpredictable, i got a bunch of wrist straps off from Amazon, very cheap. mostly i use the neck straps from canon or a tripod.

My FZ80.was on a tripod..and by accident a family member bumped into it

I use a grip strap. It allows for one handed shooting and also a bit more stable than without it.

my concern with canon is that as these cameras age, there is the possibility for the electronics to get whacked out. the FZ80 is close to the sx50 used, durability may be the deciding factor.

i found a FZ70 for about 150, but i think the features of the FZ80 could be more worth while.

I owned both.

I used the FZ80 way more and was more fun to use.

Later I will post some of my favotite photos with the FZ80...some using smaller area of sensor...to get around 1700mm reach.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Jon_T

bridge77 wrote:

<SNIP>

... i am unaware as to the durability of Panasonic; in general their other products seem to be of good quality, perhaps as good as Canon? ...

In addition to ANAYV's comments, my daughter still using my FZ150 and I'm still using my FZ200.  Plenty of posts on this forum of users using older Panasonic cameras.

When I bought the FZ200 as a upgrade to my FZ150, I looked at the SX40 HS. Compared to the FZ200 the SX40 HS in my hands felt like a cheap plastic toy camera.

I also have the FZ80. Overall the FZ80 has better build quality and far faster as to use/ operation. Note with all the SX## cameras you have to buy optional adapter to attach lens filter and/ or lens hood.

FZ80 has lens filter threads, but not the lens hood bayonet like the FZ200/ FZ300. On Amazon (HERE) I found a lens hood/ filter adapter. The adapter has a large enough ID with threads for 55mm filters. The interior of lens hood petals are shinny, so I used some 200 grit sandpaper to remove the shine.

... lower IQ is ok if not too bad, for me it is about getting the shot ...

Then for a 'new' camera the FZ80 will provide the best-bang-for-the-buck for its focal range/ features.

... regardless how close or far something is. ...

Even with a long focal length you still 'need' to get close enough so the subject fills the image area.(e.g., my post HERE)

Also the greater the camera-to-subject distance the greater existing ambient atmospheric conditions (air moisture, dust, heat waves, etc.) can deteriorate IQ.

Simple example:

ZS50 @ 50mm EFL; similar to eye FOV • Note red arrow pointing to building center background

ZS50 @ 720mm EFL from same location as the above pic.

View both of the above images at "original size" to see how ambient atmospheric conditions deteriorated IQ.

Cheers,
Jon

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,985

bridge77 wrote:

Ontarian wrote:

Have you looked at the Sony RX10 iv or iii at all. More expensive, but considered by many as the best bridge camera by far.

thanks. no haven't considered sony, i am just trying to scope out my options beyond the canon sx50 or better. don't need it right away, but it is good to know the field and watch the reviews. the FZ seems good, just not great. don't think i need great, for me it is more about getting the shot, than winning photo contests.

originally it seemed that the canon sx30 would be good for birding and then it seemed to do everything else ok, but not great. when i don't need telephoto reach, the canon rebels step in for the job.

The SX30 is slow. The SX40 doubled that speed and was still slow. The SX50 doubled the speed yet again, finally providing acceptable performance. Panasonics have a reputation for high performing and full-featured cameras. But the FZ70/80 are more consumer-oriented, designed with eye-popping specs for lower budgets and lack some in features.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more

Jon_T wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

<SNIP>

... i am unaware as to the durability of Panasonic; in general their other products seem to be of good quality, perhaps as good as Canon? ...

In addition to ANAYV's comments, my daughter still using my FZ150 and I'm still using my FZ200. Plenty of posts on this forum of users using older Panasonic cameras.

off topic, but when looking for a kitchen portable stereo for my wife, the nod went to Panasonic over the Sony.  reviews have said that the Sony quality has slipped a lot.  we have not been disappointed in the Panny, real nice box even though costing more

When I bought the FZ200 as a upgrade to my FZ150, I looked at the SX40 HS. Compared to the FZ200 the SX40 HS in my hands felt like a cheap plastic toy camera.

I also have the FZ80. Overall the FZ80 has better build quality and far faster as to use/ operation. Note with all the SX## cameras you have to buy optional adapter to attach lens filter and/ or lens hood.

i have noticed that, a sad omission on Canon's part.  haven't even bothered to put a lens filter on my SX, normally all my canon lenses get at least a uv filter.

FZ80 has lens filter threads, but not the lens hood bayonet like the FZ200/ FZ300. On Amazon (HERE) I found a lens hood/ filter adapter. The adapter has a large enough ID with threads for 55mm filters. The interior of lens hood petals are shinny, so I used some 200 grit sandpaper to remove the shine.

... lower IQ is ok if not too bad, for me it is about getting the shot ...

Then for a 'new' camera the FZ80 will provide the best-bang-for-the-buck for its focal range/ features.

... regardless how close or far something is. ...

Even with a long focal length you still 'need' to get close enough so the subject fills the image area.(e.g., my post HERE)

the one phone call i made to B&H concerning this convinced me that my future was the bridge camera.  i tried to use a 300mm lens on my canon T3i and failed misserably in telephoto reach.

B&H said i didn't need a lens but a camera, the SX50 to do that.  well i waited to long and the deals on that camera evaporated over the years.  now i find the FZ to be sufficient,  .....you have some great good enuf bird shots from your 80, amazing that the FZ80 price is far below a good lens for my Canon dslr's.

Also the greater the camera-to-subject distance the greater existing ambient atmospheric conditions (air moisture, dust, heat waves, etc.) can deteriorate IQ.

Simple example:

ZS50 @ 50mm EFL; similar to eye FOV • Note red arrow pointing to building center background

ZS50 @ 720mm EFL from same location as the above pic.

View both of the above images at "original size" to see how ambient atmospheric conditions deteriorated IQ.

i note the Palm trees, so yeah heat can be an issue in using your telephoto.

thanks for the heads up on this FZ.

Cheers,
Jon

kkardster wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

Ontarian wrote:

thanks. no haven't considered sony, i am just trying to scope out my options beyond the canon sx50 or better. don't need it right away, but it is good to know the field and watch the reviews. the FZ seems good, just not great. don't think i need great, for me it is more about getting the shot, than winning photo contests.

The SX30 is slow. The SX40 doubled that speed and was still slow. The SX50 doubled the speed yet again, finally providing acceptable performance. Panasonics have a reputation for high performing and full-featured cameras. But the FZ70/80 are more consumer-oriented, designed with eye-popping specs for lower budgets and lack some in features.

the sx30 is slow, we went to the fair recently and the one frame per second wasn't fun, so i switched to my canon xs beater camera with kit lens to get the job done, the canon xs was like a machine gun in comparison.  this camera with the FZ 80 is probably all i need and thinking of selling my Canon T3i and basket of lenses because of non use.

photoholiko Veteran Member • Posts: 3,146

The cannon EF-S 55-250 is not expensive, it will give you a FOV of 88-400.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads