Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,309
Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art
12

OOC jpeg

Early this morning I shot this at the beach. Since I rode my bike down to the beach, I couldn't easily take my tripod with me, so I just slung my camera with a lens on it across my shoulder, and rode in the dark to the beach. I had to shoot everything handheld. I impressed myself by shooting this one second exposure without a tripod. No doubt it would have been better, if I had my tripod, but unfortunately I didn't. I had to lay on my side, and hold the camera with one hand, while laying the lens on my other wrist and holding it in the hand attached to that wrist. I did shoot a few photos to get this one, and of course I used OS. Still, I figured the would show that it CAN be done . . . even with a Sigma SD1 Merrill.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 20,075
Splendid Shot, Scott! n/t
1

No text.

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,309
Re: Splendid Shot, Scott! n/t . . . Thanks Ted

I appreciate the compliment.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
dpreviewblog
dpreviewblog Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art
1

Well done! The small noise quantity for such light conditions - is what really surprises me.

 dpreviewblog's gear list:dpreviewblog's gear list
Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma sd Quattro H +11 more
FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 2,229
Re: Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art
1

A beautiful picture, no doubt about it and for 1s exposure time, it is really sharp, well done. Not handheld in the pure meaning but still, your effort of laying down and using one hand on the ground as a "monopod" turned out pretty successfully.

Only one recommendation because I see it in a lot of your pictures: you could improve the visual impact of your images by a great margin if you'd take the 2 min to get rid of the dust marks. There are many of them and they are large and distract from an otherwise beautiful sky.

Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,309
Re: Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art

FDecker wrote:

A beautiful picture, no doubt about it and for 1s exposure time, it is really sharp, well done. Not handheld in the pure meaning but still, your effort of laying down and using one hand on the ground as a "monopod" turned out pretty successfully.

Only one recommendation because I see it in a lot of your pictures: you could improve the visual impact of your images by a great margin if you'd take the 2 min to get rid of the dust marks. There are many of them and they are large and distract from an otherwise beautiful sky.

That's for sure Frank. Sorry, but I'm afraid to clean my sensor. I shouldn't be, because I have the dust protector from my SD14 around here somewhere, and I think they're interchangeable, right?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 20,075
Re: Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art
1

Scottelly wrote:

FDecker wrote:

Only one recommendation because I see it in a lot of your pictures: you could improve the visual impact of your images by a great margin if you'd take the 2 min to get rid of the dust marks. There are many of them and they are large and distract from an otherwise beautiful sky.

That's for sure Frank. Sorry, but I'm afraid to clean my sensor. I shouldn't be, because I have the dust protector from my SD14 around here somewhere, and I think they're interchangeable, right?

Right-ish, Scott, but different part numbers.

Physically interchangeable but with slightly different transmission spectra ... not enough to be significant for non-pedants.

I tried SD14 and SD15 filters in your SD1M and really didn't see much difference in how images looked.

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone has to do it ...

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,309
Re: Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art

xpatUSA wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

FDecker wrote:

Only one recommendation because I see it in a lot of your pictures: you could improve the visual impact of your images by a great margin if you'd take the 2 min to get rid of the dust marks. There are many of them and they are large and distract from an otherwise beautiful sky.

That's for sure Frank. Sorry, but I'm afraid to clean my sensor. I shouldn't be, because I have the dust protector from my SD14 around here somewhere, and I think they're interchangeable, right?

Right-ish, Scott, but different part numbers.

Physically interchangeable but with slightly different transmission spectra ... not enough to be significant for non-pedants.

I tried SD14 and SD15 filters in your SD1M and really didn't see much difference in how images looked.

Thanks for the info. Ted.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 2,229
Re: Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art
1

Scottelly wrote:

FDecker wrote:

A beautiful picture, no doubt about it and for 1s exposure time, it is really sharp, well done. Not handheld in the pure meaning but still, your effort of laying down and using one hand on the ground as a "monopod" turned out pretty successfully.

Only one recommendation because I see it in a lot of your pictures: you could improve the visual impact of your images by a great margin if you'd take the 2 min to get rid of the dust marks. There are many of them and they are large and distract from an otherwise beautiful sky.

That's for sure Frank. Sorry, but I'm afraid to clean my sensor. I shouldn't be, because I have the dust protector from my SD14 around here somewhere, and I think they're interchangeable, right?

I don‘t think so. As Ted wrote, the filter function may be different.

But I didn‘t mean that you have to clean your sensor. This would be the best option, of course, but it would be enough to eliminate the dust spots in post-processing. This is what I meant mentioning 2min to clean up the picture.

Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,309
Re: Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art

FDecker wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

FDecker wrote:

A beautiful picture, no doubt about it and for 1s exposure time, it is really sharp, well done. Not handheld in the pure meaning but still, your effort of laying down and using one hand on the ground as a "monopod" turned out pretty successfully.

Only one recommendation because I see it in a lot of your pictures: you could improve the visual impact of your images by a great margin if you'd take the 2 min to get rid of the dust marks. There are many of them and they are large and distract from an otherwise beautiful sky.

That's for sure Frank. Sorry, but I'm afraid to clean my sensor. I shouldn't be, because I have the dust protector from my SD14 around here somewhere, and I think they're interchangeable, right?

I don‘t think so. As Ted wrote, the filter function may be different.

But I didn‘t mean that you have to clean your sensor. This would be the best option, of course, but it would be enough to eliminate the dust spots in post-processing. This is what I meant mentioning 2min to clean up the picture.

Oh, I see. Yeah, it would definitely look better . . . and yes, I certainly could take the OOC jpeg into GIMP and clean it up by retouching, like this:

Retouched OOC jpeg in GIMP

It took me about five minutes to do this on my old MacBook Air, and I only touched up the sensor spots, when editing - nothing else. What I should do with this image is make any adjust the raw file, export two versions to high-quality TIFF files - one sharpened and one not - combine those in GIMP, and retouch the resulting low-noise image, because the OOC jpeg has been sharpened, which brings out the noise a bit, in my opinion. I think this image, if done right, could look less noisy, and therefore maybe a little better.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 2,229
Re: Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art
1

Thank you Scott for showing it again after getting the dust marks out.

The same image, of course, but much better because I now only see the scenery you captured and don't focus on the "technical representation".

jande9
jande9 Senior Member • Posts: 1,624
Re: Handheld for 1 sec. with SD1 Merrill and 24-70 OS Art

Great picture.  You are lucky that you had another couple of early risers!

After all that effort to get up so early (4am?) I am surprised you didn't throw in a cheap little portable tripod, although you managed well without it.

Jan

 jande9's gear list:jande9's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads