Not a Mirrorless in sight….

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Roger Senior Member • Posts: 2,953
Re: Not a Mirrorless in sight….Doesn't matter

Greetings

I've been in the business 50 years, been with Nikon for 35 years ( back when you had to show a body of work to get on the NPS program not pay a fee) and I've been to events where I just had to show my NPS card and they gave me the gear I wanted. As for ML vs DSLR it doesn't matter, all that matters is, Get the Shot!! If you have to put the camera between your butt cheeks and click the shutter just Get the Shot. Doesn't matter what brand of camera, Get the Shot. I know people who use Nikon, Canon, and Sony and from what I understand Sony is in the repair tent more than out. They may be wrong, but who knows, I'm not there. wish I was, but at 70 I'm somewhat happy watching it on TV. Somewhat. Bottom line Get the Shot!!

Be Safe and Enjoy it goes by fast

Roger J.

ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,630
Re: Size / weight / noise

Bill Ferris wrote:

Nikon's Z9 needs to be a homerun MILC body; no doubt about it. The Z6II and Z7II are excellent mirrorless cameras...but don't quite demonstrate the flagship level of autofocus performance needed to attract Nikon's most demanding customers to the MILC platform. But they've delivered before and certainly know what their customers expect.

Dave Black, Vincent Versace, and a number of other Nikon pros have gone completely to the Z7II and the Z6II.  Both Versace and Black indicated to me a strong preference for the file produced by the Nikon cameras over anything else on the market.  The quality of the image file has better color and better dynamic range.  Black is a sports and portrait photographer, and he indicated he has no problem getting the shots he needs with the Z7II.

There are certainly others that still like the performance of the D850 or D6 for specific needs.  Marsel van Oosten is using a split system with the D850 for fast moving wildlife.   The Z9 is expected to be a flagship body - above and beyond the D6 with excellent AF and high frame rate.

I'd expect a significant upgrade for the Z6II and Z7II with the September firmware release.

I'm sitting pretty with the best APS-C wildlife and sports body in production in my camera bag and am prepared to wait until the Z9 is released and fully reviewed before making a long-term decision about a future upgrade for what I shoot. To be fair, I'm not a Z9 customer. My preference would be to wait for a flagship APS-C body. If that doesn't happen...well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

-- hide signature --
 ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +25 more
Rick620 Regular Member • Posts: 193

Roger wrote:

Greetings

I've been in the business 50 years, been with Nikon for 35 years ( back when you had to show a body of work to get on the NPS program not pay a fee) and I've been to events where I just had to show my NPS card and they gave me the gear I wanted. As for ML vs DSLR it doesn't matter, all that matters is, Get the Shot!! If you have to put the camera between your butt cheeks and click the shutter just Get the Shot. Doesn't matter what brand of camera, Get the Shot. I know people who use Nikon, Canon, and Sony and from what I understand Sony is in the repair tent more than out. They may be wrong, but who knows, I'm not there. wish I was, but at 70 I'm somewhat happy watching it on TV. Somewhat. Bottom line Get the Shot!!

Roger J.

Congratulations sir - one of the best posts I've read for a long time.

There is so much gearhead BS around here it needs someone to spell it out - namely, use what works for you and who gives a £$%^ about everyone else.

I also had to laugh when I see that the OP started out with a gloating 'badge of honour' that 'no mirrorless in sight' etc etc. Ooops! Z9 hiding in plain sight.

But really, who gives a %^&* about all that anyway. If the Z9 is for you, great (it isn't for me!) - if not, carry on with whatever.

I'm also 70 and life is too short........etc etc.

-- hide signature --

The answer is 42.

Rick620's gear list:Rick620's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z fc Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 8-15mm F3.5-4.5 fisheye +9 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,180
Re: Size / weight / noise

Bill Ferris wrote:

The D500 I currently shoot with is still an excellent body for the work I do, so I'm in no hurry to make the move. (Nor am I looking to switch brands.) My fingers are crossed that Nikon makes a "surprise" introduction at the Z9 roll-out event. An APS-C version featuring the same AF, image processor, a 10+ fps burst, limitless buffer...and silent shooting through the EVF would be quite compelling.

If Nikon managed to put Sony's new 43MP (stacked?) sensor in a Z70/90 I might just have to buy it for my long telephotos.  The possibility of having a big EVF on an APS-C Z70/90 would be be pretty great.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-E3 +39 more
angelo7859 Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Not a Mirrorless in sight….

straitouttahell wrote:

But why? Why would I want to buy a new body and an adapter if the older body is already so good, needs no adapter, and has a superior viewfinder, battery life, ergonomics and controls, etc.

As I wrote above, if you feel it that way, it's no problem. Just buy a D850. The future of photography is made of people who post vídeos on YouTube and screw cameras below small helicopters. Those are the guys who are spending the money now, those are the people that must be served if you want to stay alive.

If you dont like it, start spending money again

Good answer. There is where the money is, failing to sell new bodies and lenses means no future for Nikon. Nikon is shrinking his workforce and shifting all their R&D on mirrorless.

The best thing to help Nikon is buying their equipment.

angelo7859's gear list:angelo7859's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,453

Rick620 wrote:

Roger wrote:

Greetings

Roger J.

There is so much gearhead BS around here it needs someone to spell it out - namely, use what works for you and who gives a £$%^ about everyone else.

I also had to laugh when I see that the OP started out with a gloating 'badge of honour' that 'no mirrorless in sight' etc etc. Ooops! Z9 hiding in plain sight.

But really, who gives a %^&* about all that anyway. If the Z9 is for you, great (it isn't for me!) - if not, carry on with whatever.

Is it possible that both of you wandered into the wrong place? This is, after all, a gear forum, which typically means gearheads discussing, debating, gear.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
I enjoy my Nikon gear. But as has been pointed out to me "it’s a declining, decaying system based upon ancient technology" Funny that, never noticed.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Re: Size of a DSLR

straitouttahell wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

But it flies in the face of all the fellows that raved over the Z7 and Z6 because they could get rid of those huge brick of a DSLR, those dinosaurs

That's not the case. DSLRs still are somewhat dinosaurs. It's just that *this* specific MILC model had to be big. The top pro camera always were big. Their users want them like this: big, brute and sturdy.

Yes, and *this* specific MILC body is the minimum Nikon would need to replace either my D4s, D850 or D500.  *This* one should AF as well as these, something that none of Nikon's current offerings can do after about 71 firmware updates. So I assume it takes big for Nikon to pack in everything I'd want in a mirrorless, if I ever wanted mirrorless.  AF, ergonomics, plenty of well placed buttons and dials, enough heft to balance a 70-200 2.8, etc., etc., etc.

-- hide signature --

I enjoy my Nikon gear. But as has been pointed out to me "it’s a declining, decaying system based upon ancient technology" Funny that, never noticed.

You surely must get it

ericbowles wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

Nikon's Z9 needs to be a homerun MILC body; no doubt about it. The Z6II and Z7II are excellent mirrorless cameras...but don't quite demonstrate the flagship level of autofocus performance needed to attract Nikon's most demanding customers to the MILC platform. But they've delivered before and certainly know what their customers expect.

Dave Black, Vincent Versace, and a number of other Nikon pros have gone completely to the Z7II and the Z6II. Both Versace and Black indicated to me a strong preference for the file produced by the Nikon cameras over anything else on the market. The quality of the image file has better color and better dynamic range.

You are seriously missing something here. You are talking about Nikon Ambassadors. For Nikon to survive they have to transition to ML. Nikon's Ambassadors have to be seen using the Z7ii and Z6ii. They have to adjust to any shortcomings.

As DenWil said -

"ML is the next thing. Advertisers and pundits told us so.

When everyone had their film kits the medium was stagnant , not inclusive, and sales lagged and then came digital to revitalize an industry. A decade or so later dumping mirrors and adding new mounts allow the manufacturers to sell sell sell all but identical replacement kits to the same people one more time. One more 35mm lens, one more 85mm lens...

The new system may be technically superior however so far I have not seen results so dynamic at a glance to justify the expense to anyone but gear heads whose thing is collecting the next piece of gear- not the folks in the middle of Mojave at 5AM prepared to shoot in the day's best light."

So how would Nikon pull this off without Nikon Ambassadors shooting Nikon ML gear??  Everyone has to be on board - manufacturers, advertisers, pundits, Ambassadors, forums.  The only dire need to own ML is that manufacturers need to sell product and DSLRs have surpassed good enough long ago.  There are likely tens of thousands of used and mint f mount lenses for sale at any particular time.  When was the last time you saw a Zee mount 200 f2 or 300 2.8 for sale used?

Black is a sports and portrait photographer, and he indicated he has no problem getting the shots he needs with the Z7II.

There are certainly others that still like the performance of the D850 or D6 for specific needs. Marsel van Oosten is using a split system with the D850 for fast moving wildlife. The Z9 is expected to be a flagship body - above and beyond the D6 with excellent AF and high frame rate.

I'd expect a significant upgrade for the Z6II and Z7II with the September firmware release.

I'm sitting pretty with the best APS-C wildlife and sports body in production in my camera bag and am prepared to wait until the Z9 is released and fully reviewed before making a long-term decision about a future upgrade for what I shoot. To be fair, I'm not a Z9 customer. My preference would be to wait for a flagship APS-C body. If that doesn't happen...well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

-- hide signature --

Roger Senior Member • Posts: 2,953

T O Shooter wrote:

Rick620 wrote:

Roger wrote:

Greetings

Roger J.

Is it possible that both of you wandered into the wrong place?

I can only speak for myself, but I could have, but I really can't remember

This is, after all, a gear forum, which typically means gearheads discussing, debating, gear.

I understand, but still "Get the Picture" 

Have fun but stay safe

Roger J.

photoholiko Veteran Member • Posts: 3,220

Canon walked away from a large inventory of the FD mount, Sony A to a lesser extent, so Nikon doing the same is a strong possibility. But I hope they don't.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +34 more
starbase218 Contributing Member • Posts: 974

So you’re saying that because Nikon doesn’t have mirrorless bodies at their booth in Tokyo, the claim that mirrorless cameras overall are the future, or even just for this type of photography, is false?

starbase218's gear list:starbase218's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 V Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +7 more
ericbowles

starbase218 wrote:

So you’re saying that because Nikon doesn’t have mirrorless bodies at their booth in Tokyo, the claim that mirrorless cameras overall are the future, or even just for this type of photography, is false?

Actually it's worse.  He's saying because the post that went on Nikon Rumors does not show mirrorless bodies, they were not there.  But Nikon has said there were mirrorless bodies and lenses there - just not in those photos.

By the same token the D850 must have been discontinued because all that was shown were D6 cameras.

-- hide signature --
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +25 more
starbase218 Contributing Member • Posts: 974

ericbowles wrote:

starbase218 wrote:

Actually it's worse. He's saying because the post that went on Nikon Rumors does not show mirrorless bodies, they were not there. But Nikon has said there were mirrorless bodies and lenses there - just not in those photos.

By the same token the D850 must have been discontinued because all that was shown were D6 cameras.

This must be how rumors start.

starbase218's gear list:starbase218's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 V Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +7 more
Vincent O'Sullivan Regular Member • Posts: 429

starbase218 wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

starbase218 wrote:

Actually it's worse. He's saying because the post that went on Nikon Rumors does not show mirrorless bodies, they were not there. But Nikon has said there were mirrorless bodies and lenses there - just not in those photos.

Has the D850 been discontinued already?  I guess that means that Nikon are committing to mirrorless as the future.  🤣

dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,674
Doesn't matter, get the shot

Roger wrote:

Greetings

... , all that matters is, Get the Shot!! ... just Get the Shot. Doesn't matter what brand ... , Get the Shot. ... Somewhat. Bottom line Get the Shot!!

Roger J.

I like how you keep emphasizing getting the shot. That is what matters.

Get the shot. Get vaccinated while you're at it.

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,674
D850 has been removed from Nikon USA

Vincent O'Sullivan wrote:

starbase218 wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

starbase218 wrote:

Has the D850 been discontinued already? I guess that means that Nikon are committing to mirrorless as the future. 🤣

Yes, This is how rumors are started.

"The D850 has been removed from the Nikon USA website."

Full Frame DSLR Cameras: FX Series | Nikon (nikonusa.com)

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy. Get Vaccinated.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,760
Re: Do you understand how the ambassador program works?

T O Shooter wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

Dave Black, Vincent Versace, and a number of other Nikon pros have gone completely to the Z7II and the Z6II. Both Versace and Black indicated to me a strong preference for the file produced by the Nikon cameras over anything else on the market. The quality of the image file has better color and better dynamic range.

You are seriously missing something here. You are talking about Nikon Ambassadors. For Nikon to survive they have to transition to ML. Nikon's Ambassadors have to be seen using the Z7ii and Z6ii. They have to adjust to any shortcomings.

As DenWil said -

When everyone had their film kits the medium was stagnant , not inclusive, and sales lagged and then came digital to revitalize an industry. A decade or so later dumping mirrors and adding new mounts allow the manufacturers to sell sell sell all but identical replacement kits to the same people one more time. One more 35mm lens, one more 85mm lens...

The new system may be technically superior however so far I have not seen results so dynamic at a glance to justify the expense to anyone but gear heads whose thing is collecting the next piece of gear- not the folks in the middle of Mojave at 5AM prepared to shoot in the day's best light."

So how would Nikon pull this off without Nikon Ambassadors shooting Nikon ML gear?? Everyone has to be on board - manufacturers, advertisers, pundits, Ambassadors, forums. The only dire need to own ML is that manufacturers need to sell product and DSLRs have surpassed good enough long ago. There are likely tens of thousands of used and mint f mount lenses for sale at any particular time. When was the last time you saw a Zee mount 200 f2 or 300 2.8 for sale used?

Black is a sports and portrait photographer, and he indicated he has no problem getting the shots he needs with the Z7II.

There are certainly others that still like the performance of the D850 or D6 for specific needs. Marsel van Oosten is using a split system with the D850 for fast moving wildlife. The Z9 is expected to be a flagship body - above and beyond the D6 with excellent AF and high frame rate.

I am not an ambassador but I would think Nikon just wants them to use a Nikon.

I guess Joe just got kicked out of the program because he tagged one of his photos with #D6 based on your logic!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR7sVZuFUDu/

I would expect the photographers out there would have one of each - a DSLR and EVIL camera - that's how I shoot these days - they just aren't both Nikons for me.

lickity split
OP lickity split Veteran Member • Posts: 6,137
Re: D850 has been removed from Nikon USA

dave gaines wrote:

Vincent O'Sullivan wrote:

starbase218 wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

starbase218 wrote:

Has the D850 been discontinued already? I guess that means that Nikon are committing to mirrorless as the future. 🤣

Yes, This is how rumors are started.

"The D850 has been removed from the Nikon USA website."

Full Frame DSLR Cameras: FX Series | Nikon (nikonusa.com)

What the hell is a D780,where’d that come from. 😁

-- hide signature --

“Perhaps if you removed some clothing . “
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lickitysplit11111/

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +11 more
ericbowles

Canadianguy wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

As DenWil said -

So how would Nikon pull this off without Nikon Ambassadors shooting Nikon ML gear?? Everyone has to be on board - manufacturers, advertisers, pundits, Ambassadors, forums. The only dire need to own ML is that manufacturers need to sell product and DSLRs have surpassed good enough long ago. There are likely tens of thousands of used and mint f mount lenses for sale at any particular time. When was the last time you saw a Zee mount 200 f2 or 300 2.8 for sale used?

I guess Joe just got kicked out of the program because he tagged one of his photos with #D6 based on your logic!!!

I would expect the photographers out there would have one of each - a DSLR and EVIL camera - that's how I shoot these days - they just aren't both Nikons for me.

They buy what they want and use what is needed to do the job.   Nothing wrong with them using any camera they want.  But they are moving at their own pace to Mirrorless.   Most if not all Nikon Ambassadors are using Z cameras - some exclusively and some in combination depending on what they shoot.

Black is using the Z7II a pretty wide range of photography, but his kit is actually fewer cameras and lenses than many people here.

-- hide signature --

Canadianguy wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

As DenWil said -

Can't agree with you on that.  Nikon has too much at stake.  Likely said to the Ambassadors "Suck it up and shoot with the freaking MLs."  And "we're hoping to eventually get it right - wing it for now"

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads