M4/3 on Sony A1 advice

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,271
M4/3 on Sony A1 advice

Ok before you shoot me, let me explain

I do have an Olympus for the creative side of me, mainly for Live Composite etc, however last year i lost a close friend pre-covid and i was left his entire collection of M4/3 glass,  its all the Pro Glass minus the 12-100

25mm F1.2

17mm F1.2

Voigtlander  x 2  ( 25mm and 42.5mm) 0.95s and many many more

So i was thinking of having a play with them

Firstly can it be done ?

Pros and Cons on Aperture and Lens MM on a Sony.

Can we zoom on the sensor like on the R model, i presume we can, im just not near it to check.

Whats best adaptor to use ?

thanks all for the guidance.

Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony RX100 V Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 12,101
Re: M4/3 on Sony A1 advice

Tobamory wrote:

I do have an Olympus for the creative side of me, mainly for Live Composite etc, however last year i lost a close friend pre-covid and i was left his entire collection of M4/3 glass, its all the Pro Glass minus the 12-100

25mm F1.2

17mm F1.2

Voigtlander x 2 ( 25mm and 42.5mm) 0.95s and many many more

Firstly can it be done ?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1250652-REG/fotodiox_mft_nex_micro_four_third_lens.html

Crop, no AF, flange delta is only 1.25mm.

https://briansmith.com/flange-focal-distance-guide/

Can we zoom on the sensor like on the R model, i presume we can, im just not near it to check.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7R II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +35 more
OP Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,271
Re: M4/3 on Sony A1 advice

blue_skies wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

I do have an Olympus for the creative side of me, mainly for Live Composite etc, however last year i lost a close friend pre-covid and i was left his entire collection of M4/3 glass, its all the Pro Glass minus the 12-100

25mm F1.2

17mm F1.2

Firstly can it be done ?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1250652-REG/fotodiox_mft_nex_micro_four_third_lens.html

Crop, no AF, flange delta is only 1.25mm.

https://briansmith.com/flange-focal-distance-guide/

Thanks Henry appreciated

Sony RX100 V Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 17,574
Not a good idea

Tobamory wrote:

25mm F1.2

17mm F1.2

Firstly can it be done ?

M4/3 lens on Sony A7 using an adaptor

Not a good idea

Danny.

-- hide signature --

http://www.birdsinaction.com
------------
I can always justify a need, but I can never justify a want.

Re: Not a good idea

nzmacro wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

25mm F1.2

17mm F1.2

Firstly can it be done ?

Not a good idea

Danny.

Danny i presume you hadnt used or didnt have the Zoom feature in the menu ?

ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 8,861

Tobamory wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

25mm F1.2

17mm F1.2

Firstly can it be done ?

Not a good idea

Danny.

Like you, I have FE and MFT gear.  I’m puzzled why you would want to adapt MFT lenses to an FE body.  You get better performance of the lenses on MFT bodies - more pixels, lens corrections, more functions.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +29 more

ahaslett wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

25mm F1.2

17mm F1.2

Firstly can it be done ?

Not a good idea

Danny.

Like you, I have FE and MFT gear. I’m puzzled why you would want to adapt MFT lenses to an FE body. You get better performance of the lenses on MFT bodies - more pixels, lens corrections, more functions.

Andrew

It was just me staring at the mass of Lens and wondering. Granted i should use them on M4/3 but i was only thinking of the art of the possible.

I suppose using a 25mm F1.2 on a full Frame sensor and then zooming in, wouldnt be great, but if it worked it would save me spending 2k on the proper Sony 1, given the disadvantages :), i doubt id use a proper F1.2 much.

My Obvious plan is to sell the G9 and get the next EM1 when it appears, as i find i use my EM10 mk3 more than i do the G9 for the fun stuff

dcstep Senior Member • Posts: 1,455

Tobamory wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

25mm F1.2

17mm F1.2

Firstly can it be done ?

Not a good idea

Danny.

IQ looks very good. Cropping on a high pixel-density body, like the a7RIV or a1, could yield a nice image.
Why? For now, because you can. Maybe a better reason will reveal itself, after you try the various lenses.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dcstep's gear list:dcstep's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) +7 more
nzmacro
APS-C mode still won't cover

Tobamory wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

25mm F1.2

17mm F1.2

Firstly can it be done ?

Not a good idea

Danny.

Tried the crop mode and it still shows vignetting. An m4/3 lens still won't cover an APS-C sensor. Doesn't matter what you do, you will still get vignetting. The lenses are made to cover a much smaller sensor.

All the best and honestly, I can't see the point. Just a me thing I guess.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

------------

There’s an option on the Sony camera called zoom not Super 35 which negates the view

https://youtu.be/a1xbphZFCio

nzmacro

Tobamory wrote:

There’s an option on the Sony camera called zoom not Super 35 which negates the view

Ahh, never tried it. I thought that was for video and I must be wrong I guess. I tried it on the original A7, so I doubt it had that feature, not too sure though.

You also don't have aperture control of the lens with the adaptor.

All the best and not something I would get too much into.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

------------

Yeah the aperture element could be fun, I may get one for the manual Voigtlanders and see what’s possible

I know most of the pro have manual aperture if you pull back on the ring

ill report back

thanks

Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,531

Tobamory wrote:

There's more than one option for 'zooming' on Sony cameras.

The guy in the video used CIZ (Clear Image Zoom). Okay, it solved the vignetting problem but he said there was no compromise in image quality but this is simply not true. What CIZ does at 2x is use the central 25% area of the senor and crop away the rest of the pixels leaving a 12MP image. It then upscales the image back to 50MP by interpolation. The resultant image finishes up with 75% of fake pixels. It is exactly the same as cropping and upscaling in post, the only difference is you can use modern software that does a much better job.

Will you even need a 50MP image when/if you use your M4/3 lenses on the A1?

A better solution in my opinion is to use what Sony call Smart Zoom. To use this set the image size to 'small' in the menu then follow his instructions.

Now when you set the zoom slider to 2x it crops out the central 25% of the frame and that's it, no interpolation involved and no loss of image quality. You finish up with a 12MP image 4320 x 2880 of real pixels.

Of course, I hope you realise that with either method you can forget about shooting raw files, it's jpegs only. You won't have any control over exposure metering either it defaults to Multi. No control over focus modes either but that won't apply to you using MF lenses.

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads