Just pulled the trigger on M6II + 32 f1.4

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,091
Re: The 32 F1.4 is sharp and accurate wide open @ F1.4

MAC wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

MAC wrote:

I am loving the small size and incredible F1.4 setting of the m 32 F1.4 lens. It is fast becoming one of my favorite lenses ever! And on the m6 Mark II, it is so far a blast to use.

Join the club my friend. You are hooked for sure!

You also absolutely have to try the Siggy 56

no IS - I have the RF 85 with IS

and 16 lenses too.

I have the 24 IS for FF

They are two incredibly capable people/event lenses. Love them to pieces.

Plus the leeetle 22 pancake is a blast (for its size of course),

I'll consider for size - I have the 35 IS for FF

and if you like to use a fisheye, the (manual) Samyang 8mm fish is just terrific. Just set to at a hyperfocal distance and fire away!

I'll consider the FE - thx

Happy shooting!

R2

These were just recommendations if you wanted to continue down the EF-M road.

I have a bunch of duplicated focal lengths.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
OP MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 16,670
Re: The 32 F1.4 is sharp and accurate wide open @ F1.4

R2D2 wrote:

MAC wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

MAC wrote:

I am loving the small size and incredible F1.4 setting of the m 32 F1.4 lens. It is fast becoming one of my favorite lenses ever! And on the m6 Mark II, it is so far a blast to use.

Join the club my friend. You are hooked for sure!

You also absolutely have to try the Siggy 56

no IS - I have the RF 85 with IS

and 16 lenses too.

I have the 24 IS for FF

They are two incredibly capable people/event lenses. Love them to pieces.

Plus the leeetle 22 pancake is a blast (for its size of course),

I'll consider for size - I have the 35 IS for FF

and if you like to use a fisheye, the (manual) Samyang 8mm fish is just terrific. Just set to at a hyperfocal distance and fire away!

I'll consider the FE - thx

Happy shooting!

R2

These were just recommendations if you wanted to continue down the EF-M road.

understood - I'll prioritize with what I have and what I think gives me what I need

11-22 next

I have a bunch of duplicated focal lengths.

Canon has found a way to improve their financials

R2

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +9 more
Re: ISO 12800

R2D2 wrote:

Mongrel wrote:

Wow! Just “wow”…incredible shot R2.

Shows your skills well.

Reminds me of when people say “well you have a good camera so how hard can it be?” Lol…

Of they only knew…

Well thanks for your kind words, but it really was the Camera! And The Software!

R2

you are in a zone I know not of

my 55-250 stm most I'm doing for now

maybe an RF 800 for my RP

wish canon did a 70-350 and IBIS like sony

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +9 more
Re: Just pulled the trigger on M6II + 32 f1.4

nnowak wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

MAC wrote:

these different mounts are confusing

Using the same mount for different formats is potentially even more confusing.

Go to the Amazon page for the RF 35mm f/1.8 and read through the questions and answers section.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B07H4SFG4G/2/ref=ask_dp_iaw_ql_hza?isAnswered=true#question-Tx1RBKT1LKNQGTJ

Over a third of the questions are asking if the RF 35mm will fit on an M system camera, crop DSLR, or full frame DSLR. That is a problem.

depends on where you sit - Canon executives appear to be laughing all the way to the bank with all these mounts

if they built an m5II with IBIS and a bright normal zoom and a longer tele -- the m would become a primary camera for me

It would probably also be bigger, heavier and more expensive than an RP.

m100 Contributing Member • Posts: 967

R2D2 wrote:

m100 wrote:

Mongrel wrote:

m100 wrote:

SOOC JPEG

with about 1 min of clicking DXO auto settings

UFO shots.

Hard to really appreciate those on a cell phone, but I will take your word for it!

Do you have any shots of the Aliens under stage lighting taken with a flash? Don’t want to have to buy yet another software program without assurances!

lol

Unexpected Flare Occurrence for real.

The last picture is from a M6II raw file straight into DXO and PP for about 1 min. using auto settings.

Get the trial version and wait for a really good coupon.

Yeah, DxO Deep Prime NR is unbelievably good.

Is the flare from a filter?

R2

There goes my UFO photo trick ! 

-- hide signature --

" It's a virus that hitches a ride on our love and our trust for other people. "
Dr. Celine Gounder

m100 Contributing Member • Posts: 967

Mongrel wrote:

Just got home....

I would have posted sooner but I had to pick my jaw up off the floor...

Noise is one thing-but the recovery of detail in the tree leaves near the streetlamp?

Wowzer!

Thanks for the tip.

It tried to save the stars too.

-- hide signature --

" It's a virus that hitches a ride on our love and our trust for other people. "
Dr. Celine Gounder

nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 8,040

MAC wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

MAC wrote:

Go to the Amazon page for the RF 35mm f/1.8 and read through the questions and answers section.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B07H4SFG4G/2/ref=ask_dp_iaw_ql_hza?isAnswered=true#question-Tx1RBKT1LKNQGTJ

Over a third of the questions are asking if the RF 35mm will fit on an M system camera, crop DSLR, or full frame DSLR. That is a problem.

depends on where you sit - Canon executives appear to be laughing all the way to the bank with all these mounts

What we can't see on the Amazon reviews is how many people are calling Canon customer service, returning perfectly good products, or filing warranty claims because of the myriad of incompatible mounts.  Those are real costs that can add up.

if they built an m5II with IBIS and a bright normal zoom and a longer tele -- the m would become a primary camera for me

Sittatunga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,857

nnowak wrote:

MAC wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

MAC wrote:

What we can't see on the Amazon reviews is how many people are calling Canon customer service, returning perfectly good products, or filing warranty claims because of the myriad of incompatible mounts.

Not as many as those who complain in these forums that their Canon camera won't take a picture with a Samyang lens attached.  Probably about as many as those who do that because they've bought a Sony or Fuji mount lens for a Canon camera or a Nikon Z mount lens for a DSLR.  Pentax avoided the problem by not changing their mount when they introduced their mirrorless camera and look how popular that was.

Those are real costs that can add up.

Viltrox EF-EOS M adapter with my 55-250 stm

the 3rd party adapter appears to be working

and I am finding my bearings with setup of the m6II + 32 - and practicing at f1.4

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,091
Re: Viltrox EF-EOS M adapter with my 55-250 stm

MAC wrote:

and I am finding my bearings with setup of the m6II + 32 - and practicing at f1.4

Lovely photo of the Queen Anne’s Lace. You were very brave to shoot it at f/1.4!  Perfectly executed.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5

R2D2 wrote:

MAC wrote:

Lovely photo of the Queen Anne’s Lace. You were very brave to shoot it at f/1.4! Perfectly executed.

R2

Thx R2 - I have a toddler shoot coming up where I'll be using F1.4 and eye focus.

I'm having to use DPP and RAW at this setting because of the LoCA

I've set my camera up as follows:

the first thing I always do is set shutter button to meter start and back button (MF/AF in this case)  to metering and AF start

I set M-FN button to ISO

I set dial function button to Max screen brightness

I set * to change between one shot and Servo

I set AF button to change drive mode

I kept exp comp. button the same

I changed drive mode button to set AF to center

I changed flash button to change to AF method

I changed erase button to change to eye detection AF

I kept set button set to Q

I put in My Menu: Shutter Mode (Mechanical/Electronic)  -- I found that sunny conditions at F1.4 needs 4 stop ND filter so Electronic instead comes in handy

I put in My Menu: Raw Burst Mode

I put in My Menu Continuous AF - though I don't think I'll use it to pre-focus before I start focusing with button since it drains batteries

I put in My Menu Anti-flicker

I'll set my C1 and C2 up before shoots in anticipation of most common needs

Please provide any other advice on setup

Thx

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 7,957

MAC wrote:

I have both my M6II and the R5 pretty much in Servo all the time.  I added the switching to one shot to my menu. I noticed the 35mm f/2.0 IS USM doesn't like servo so much if you're looking for the best accuracy, but beside that there are not a lot of reasons to switch to one shot AF in good light.

Only the C-modes for "Manual" without minimum shutterspeed is in one shot AF by default, as that's the mode I typically use for low light using IS+full electronic shutter (M6II) or for shutterspeeds in the IBIS range or speedlites (leaning a bit on the flash to freeze action) (R5).

Beside this C-modes there's always a minimum shutter speed applied to avoid too slow shutterspeed disasters. I recommend you to do the same, although a pro might not need this kind of amateur settings.  

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +18 more

thunder storm wrote:

MAC wrote:

I have both my M6II and the R5 pretty much in Servo all the time.

for people, me to

I added the switching to one shot to my menu.

for inanimate - I like to hear the beep

I noticed the 35mm f/2.0 IS USM doesn't like servo so much if you're looking for the best accuracy, but beside that there are not a lot of reasons to switch to one shot AF in good light.

I like to hear the beep and it gives me the feeling that it will not skip off inanimate subjects

Only the C-modes for "Manual" without minimum shutterspeed is in one shot AF by default, as that's the mode I typically use for low light using IS+full electronic shutter (M6II) or for shutterspeeds in the IBIS range or speedlites (leaning a bit on the flash to freeze action) (R5).

Beside this C-modes there's always a minimum shutter speed applied to avoid too slow shutterspeed disasters. I recommend you to do the same, although a pro might not need this kind of amateur settings.

you be the pro thinking photog Storm!

yes in C modes I use min. shutter speeds

I understand that beep gives you a confident feeling, but it costs you a button you could use for something else. As long there's decent light there's no need for beeps and no need for one shot AF, save maybe heavy telephoto and/or pretty dark lenses.

I hate beeps by the way. Don't use it from the day I discovered there's a green dot in the viewfinder of my 70D. The M6II has better ways to confirm focus, as it also confirms WHERE it found focus, not just somewhere. That beep is disturbing sometimes. I don't do video, but if I would need focus confirmation beeps I need a headphone port or a bluetooth connection with airpods.

That's me.  If you love beeps turn on those beeps. But it will cost you a button.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +18 more

MAC wrote:

you be the pro thinking photog Storm!

No no, just an amateur with a little ambition maybe.

yes in C modes I use min. shutter speeds

O.k., good.

-- hide signature --

thunder storm wrote:

I understand that beep gives you a confident feeling, but it costs you a button you could use for something else. As long there's decent light there's no need for beeps and no need for one shot AF, save maybe heavy telephoto and/or pretty dark lenses.

I hate beeps by the way. Don't use it from the day I discovered there's a green dot in the viewfinder of my 70D. The M6II has better ways to confirm focus, as it also confirms WHERE it found focus, not just somewhere. That beep is disturbing sometimes. I don't do video, but if I would need focus confirmation beeps I need a headphone port or a bluetooth connection with airpods.

That's me. If you love beeps turn on those beeps. But it will cost you a button.

I hear you for video.

Please share your photo setup mapped buttons on the M6II

And any other tips you have in configuration of the m6II

Thx

MAC wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

That's me. If you love beeps turn on those beeps. But it will cost you a button.

I hear you for video.

Thx

another consideration

when in single shot, you can focus after magnifying -- when using back screen I find this very valuable for stationary subjects so i"m going to program a button to magnify

under servo, you can't focus under magnify

MAC wrote:

MAC wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

I hear you for video.

Thx

another consideration

when in single shot, you can focus after magnifying -- when using back screen I find this very valuable for stationary subjects so i"m going to program a button to magnify

I do use one shot sometimes, but my menu is fast enough for me.

-- hide signature --

thunder storm wrote:

MAC wrote:

MAC wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

I hear you for video.

Thx

another consideration

it looks like the Set button takes me to Q and sits on Servo or One shot - so I'll use that and program the button for something else

MAC wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

MAC wrote:

MAC wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

I hear you for video.

Thx

another consideration

it looks like the Set button takes me to Q and sits on Servo or One shot

That's great!

- so I'll use that and program the button for something else

Nice.   Never enough buttons.   The original R is the best if you love to have a lot of buttons.....  That's the good thing of that touch bar.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads