Just pulled the trigger on M6II + 32 f1.4

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
23speaker23 Regular Member • Posts: 457
Re: The 32 F1.4 is sharp and accurate wide open @ F1.4

MAC wrote:

I plan to extensively use this lens at f1.4

I have ruined quite a few shots shooting wide open with this lens (e.g. one eye out of focus). I am learning to stop down. This is no easy exercise as the IQ at 1.4 is perfect for me. The same goes for sigma 56.

-- hide signature --
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 7,698

MAC wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Not the best test, Mac. ISO 4000 is quite high to do lens tests.

I use it to determine focus accuracy and it did much better than my dslr's and EF 35 IS

the super thin dof was spot on with the 32 at very close distance around 10 inches

Also I look for LoCA -- which it had -- and I develop a recipe for removal

f/2.0 and beyond gives perfection. f/1.4 is close to perfection.

Beside that: it's nice to hear your happy with your new stuff.

happy camper so far in my testing

haven't begun creative shooting yet

ordered extension tubes today for macro shots

also broke down and ordered vitrox adaptor

I have that Viltrox too, and it works fine. I didn't notice any issues with flair (didn't search for these problems either).  I got the Canon OEM adapter when I purchased the 50-100mm f/1.8.

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +18 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,273

thunder storm wrote:

MAC wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Not the best test, Mac. ISO 4000 is quite high to do lens tests.

I use it to determine focus accuracy and it did much better than my dslr's and EF 35 IS

the super thin dof was spot on with the 32 at very close distance around 10 inches

Also I look for LoCA -- which it had -- and I develop a recipe for removal

f/2.0 and beyond gives perfection. f/1.4 is close to perfection.

Beside that: it's nice to hear your happy with your new stuff.

happy camper so far in my testing

haven't begun creative shooting yet

I have that Viltrox too, and it works fine. I didn't notice any issues with flair (didn't search for these problems either). I got the Canon OEM adapter when I purchased the 50-100mm f/1.8.

+ 1 on the Viltrox .There were some issued reported on here regarding flare caused by the inner coating but I tried hard to replicate the problem on the Viltrox I owned but  I failed miserably .

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,791

MAC wrote:

I am loving the small size and incredible F1.4 setting of the m 32 F1.4 lens. It is fast becoming one of my favorite lenses ever! And on the m6 Mark II, it is so far a blast to use.

Join the club my friend. You are hooked for sure!

You also absolutely have to try the Siggy 56 and 16 lenses too. They are two incredibly capable people/event lenses. Love them to pieces.

Plus the leeetle 22 pancake is a blast (for its size of course), and if you like to use a fisheye, the (manual) Samyang 8mm fish is just terrific. Just set to at a hyperfocal distance and fire away!

Happy shooting!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS M6
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,791

MAC wrote:

Be sure to do the acid test: include a bright light source in the frame, right next to a black object (like I did here ).

Best of luck to you!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS M6
OP MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 16,449

R2D2 wrote:

MAC wrote:

Be sure to do the acid test: include a bright light source in the frame, right next to a black object (like I did here ).

Thanks R2, I'll check for wobble, inside gloss, and flare

$40 is $40 bucks, but the Canon is highway robbery

Best of luck to you!

R2

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +9 more

23speaker23 wrote:

MAC wrote:

I have ruined quite a few shots shooting wide open with this lens (e.g. one eye out of focus). I am learning to stop down. This is no easy exercise as the IQ at 1.4 is perfect for me. The same goes for sigma 56.

I like some of your shots btw

A DOF calculator APP can help get your bearings

at 4 ft  the dof is 3 inches

at 5 ft the dof is 4,7 inches

at 6 ft the dof is 6.8 inches

etc

but also the F1.4 is used to bring in lots of light and keep the iso at a minimum.

with 32 mpxl on the m6II I can also take a step back to get more dof and then crop in post processing.

I am preparing for toddler shoots.  With the previous 50 stm  on FF I had to stop down to f2.8 to get they type of sharpness I get with F1.4 on the 32.  The 32's F1,4 is the FF equivalent of F2.2.  It's ideal for me to get both eyes in focus when shooting 1 person

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +9 more
I'm sucked in by the M6II and 32 @ F1.4

testing is done...got my bearings

the shallow dof is an artistic blast...

creative shooting has begun...

Shaun Jackson Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: I'm sucked in by the M6II and 32 @ F1.4

Lovely shot. Agreed - the creative opportunities this great lens offers is brill.  Enjoy!

Re: I'm sucked in by the M6II and 32 @ F1.4

Shaun Jackson wrote:

Lovely shot. Agreed - the creative opportunities this great lens offers is brill. Enjoy!

Thanks

I can recommend the M6 Mark II and this 32 F1.4 lens.  I hope I feel the same way when I get the 11-22.  If that lens comes through it will save me a bunch of money not buying ultra wide angle RF stuff.

On the RP you asked about, I bought it for the normal zoom RF 24-105 F4L.  I got the RP for $850 and the RF 24-105 F4L for $899.  I like the combo and added the RF 85 F2 IS.   I think these were worth the $ for me because I do occasional commissioned shoots so I carry my 6d and this RP.  Now I will also carry the M6II + 32. as the third camera  I have two odin triggers and three odin receivers for my lights along with mag mods and grids.  So it is nice to have three bodies on a shoot with two triggers firing on the same lights

If I didn't do commissioned shoots, I can see myself just using the m6II.   I highly recommend to advanced shooters to invest in radio trigger/receiver and off camera lights and study Rembrandt, Butterfly, and Edge lighting.  The phottix odin system has opened my eyes to the importance of off camera lighting that is important in professional photography.  Keeping the m6 mark II with a sharp lens like the 32 at iso 100 with enough light makes the image and sharpness pop.

If canon introduced a M5II with IBIS and the 32 mpxl sensor I'd buy it and add the sigma 56.  I hope they do, but I don't hold my breath.

What I feel frustrated about is that Canon is developing the bigger RF system and ignoring the smaller m system.  Many like me want small, and sharp and powerful and portable.  They could do it, but imo they will not.  For me, I'd like to be carrying three m's if they would just do what is possible -- but they are unlikely to pay attention to what many of us want.

R2D2 wrote:

MAC wrote:

I am loving the small size and incredible F1.4 setting of the m 32 F1.4 lens. It is fast becoming one of my favorite lenses ever! And on the m6 Mark II, it is so far a blast to use.

Join the club my friend. You are hooked for sure!

You also absolutely have to try the Siggy 56

no IS - I have the RF 85 with IS

and 16 lenses too.

I have the 24 IS for FF

They are two incredibly capable people/event lenses. Love them to pieces.

Plus the leeetle 22 pancake is a blast (for its size of course),

I'll consider for size - I have the 35 IS for FF

and if you like to use a fisheye, the (manual) Samyang 8mm fish is just terrific. Just set to at a hyperfocal distance and fire away!

I'll consider the FE - thx

Happy shooting!

R2

EDWARD ARTISTE Regular Member • Posts: 204
Re: Just pulled the trigger on M6II + 32 f1.4

Just got a replacement m6mkii, keeping my fingers crossed. I encourage you to test the hell out of it. Many samples ive seen online (and on here) have poor sharpness, and are not helpful in determining how it should be performing.

Context:
I've been having a tough time with my M bodies, post M1. My M1 is utterly reliable, great images etc. to this day with native and adapted lenses. I have shot about 15k frames with it.
I'm a digital/print designer and proud pixel peeper, and im used to a certain level of IQ... to this day i still swear by the iq of my t2i/6d/5d3..just fantastic stuff. So its been really frustrating last few years with more recent M bodies. All kinds of problems with bland color, AF wonkiness, etc.
My experience if anyone is interested:

M3 was a focus disaster, great color though. Crazy shutter shock.
M50 - image quality was all over the place, ridiculous noise at low iso. Still havent sold it, gonna use for video practice.
M6mkii - Worked great for an industry event, then AF went to heck shortly afterwards and never recovered.
M6mkii - Testing this week. Canon provided a complete replacement kit, with a second battery and charge, so that's nice. Initial pictures already are looking better.
Good luck!

-- hide signature --

'Only the dead have seen the end of war'

EDWARD ARTISTE's gear list:EDWARD ARTISTE's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M +3 more
Mongrel
Mongrel Senior Member • Posts: 1,527

EDWARD ARTISTE wrote:

M50 - image quality was all over the place, ridiculous noise at low iso…..

Interesting observation. I have been shooting a refurb M50 for a couple months now. Outdoors in good light it rivals some of the best images I’ve ever taken (or seen).

I have used it for three indoor events with my 580EX speed light and good lenses and the pics look like mush. Like no matter what I do they look about on par my with my twenty year old 20D…

I think my SL1 sensor may actually be better for event usage.

-- hide signature --

Mongrel…”The Incredible Invisible Dog!”

Mongrel's gear list:Mongrel's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS M50 +1 more

Mongrel wrote:

EDWARD ARTISTE wrote:

I wouldn't call it ridiculous, but it can be a bit on the noisy side....

Interesting observation. I have been shooting a refurb M50 for a couple months now. Outdoors in good light it rivals some of the best images I’ve ever taken (or seen).

In good light it's great, but that's true for a lot of cameras.

I have used it for three indoor events with my 580EX speed light and good lenses and the pics look like mush. Like no matter what I do they look about on par my with my twenty year old 20D…

The trick is you shouldn't set the ISO any higher than 200. With a big bouncing speed light and a large aperture lens ( I prefer the sigma 18-35mm f/1.8) for the AF you can still make good pictures.

If it's not possible to do bouncing you're hitting the limits of the system.  The M50 is a good camera with nice colors, but it's not made for high ISO values.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +18 more
Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,710

thunder storm wrote:

Mongrel wrote:

EDWARD ARTISTE wrote:

The trick is you shouldn't set the ISO any higher than 200. With a big bouncing speed light and a large aperture lens ( I prefer the sigma 18-35mm f/1.8) for the AF you can still make good pictures.

If it's not possible to do bouncing you're hitting the limits of the system. The M50 is a good camera with nice colors, but it's not made for high ISO values.

The M5 and M50 have the same sensor, right? This is raw converted to JPEG on DPP based on default settings.

Here's an ISO100 image of an M5 in full size/MP. I do not find this noisy at all. I would be surprised if the M50 doesn't produce this kind of low-noise image on base ISO.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +10 more

Larawanista wrote:

This is raw converted to JPEG on DPP based on default settings.

Probably  a huge load of computational power will give better results than the in camera jpg engine.  So it's not a sensor thing only.

-- hide signature --

Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,710

Maybe. But even default JPEG output from the camera, I don't find noisy at all at base ISO. The M5/M6/M50 sensor is actually pretty good considering it's previous gen.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +10 more

Larawanista wrote:

Maybe. But even default JPEG output from the camera, I don't find noisy at all at base ISO. The M5/M6/M50 sensor is actually pretty good considering it's previous gen.

With face tracking the M50 can adjust "the exposure" for the face in focus. I had this setting turned on most of the time. Although it doesn't show an adjusted ISO value, I think this adds noise.

At base ISO the sensor isn't class leading, but fine for me. But as soon as you're talking about speedlites most folks don't do this at low ISO values and when that "brighten up for the face in focus setting" is playing a role too the ISO noise can easily become the bottle neck for your IQ not squeezing the most out of your glass.

-- hide signature --

thunder storm wrote:

Mongrel wrote:

EDWARD ARTISTE wrote:

If it's not possible to do bouncing you're hitting the limits of the system.

radio triggers and off camera Speedlight's if you can't bounce as I've shown in the beagle example in this thread

The M50 is a good camera with nice colors, but it's not made for high ISO values.

keeping my m6II at near base iso is an objective I've set also.  above iso 1600 I'll be using my RP

EDWARD ARTISTE wrote:

Just got a replacement m6mkii, keeping my fingers crossed. I encourage you to test the hell out of it.

ok, I'll keep testing during the return period

Many samples ive seen online (and on here) have poor sharpness, and are not helpful in determining how it should be performing.

so far -- I'm happy with my iso 100, f7.1 SOOC shot here

Sensor/Lens @ iso 100: Canon EOS M Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

Context:
I've been having a tough time with my M bodies, post M1. My M1 is utterly reliable, great images etc. to this day with native and adapted lenses. I have shot about 15k frames with it.
I'm a digital/print designer and proud pixel peeper, and im used to a certain level of IQ... to this day i still swear by the iq of my t2i/6d/5d3..just fantastic stuff. So its been really frustrating last few years with more recent M bodies. All kinds of problems with bland color, AF wonkiness, etc.
My experience if anyone is interested:

M3 was a focus disaster, great color though. Crazy shutter shock.
M50 - image quality was all over the place, ridiculous noise at low iso. Still havent sold it, gonna use for video practice.
M6mkii - Worked great for an industry event, then AF went to heck shortly afterwards and never recovered.
M6mkii - Testing this week. Canon provided a complete replacement kit, with a second battery and charge, so that's nice. Initial pictures already are looking better.
Good luck!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads