Mounting a DSLR on top of another.

Started 3 months ago | Questions
WongRQ Contributing Member • Posts: 558
Mounting a DSLR on top of another.

Hi everyone,

MultiCam productions are useful in case you want to jump between them each cut but they require you to carry another tripod around so why not just have an articulating arm on top of the hot shoe and mount another DSLR on the other end (use adapters if needed)

Is it dangerous though? Will the camera just break into pieces after long hours or are they tough enough?

WongRQ's gear list:WongRQ's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,691
Re: Mounting a DSLR on top of another.

WongRQ wrote:

Is it dangerous though? Will the camera just break into pieces after long hours or are they tough enough?

Your camera's hot shoe will quickly break.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
j3ffw
j3ffw Regular Member • Posts: 246

I don't understand your solution.  The benefit of a multi-cam production is to have different angles so you can keep the viewer interested, add other information to the story visually, give different perspectives to the same scene.

Why would you want to have a camera on top of another when you could just use a proper motion camera that continues recording for how ever long you need?  Even if you wanted to shoot at different frame rates wouldn't you want to take advantage of adding in a different perspective.

If I'm missing something and you really want to do this I would suggest placing a cage on the bottom camera and mounting the second to the cage not the hot shoe

-- hide signature --

My Architectural Photography Portfolio
http://www.jeffwolfram.com

Supisiche Senior Member • Posts: 1,077

I want to see a DDLR camera. 2 lenses, 2 sensors

Mika Y.
Mika Y. Senior Member • Posts: 1,796

WongRQ wrote:

Hi everyone,

MultiCam productions are useful in case you want to jump between them each cut but they require you to carry another tripod around so why not just have an articulating arm on top of the hot shoe and mount another DSLR on the other end (use adapters if needed)

I doubt any consumer camera products have hot shoes that are engineered for the kind of stresses using this kind of set up would create. So my guess it that it might work temporarily, but sooner or later the hot shoe would break or bend enough to no longer work reliably.

Mika Y.'s gear list:Mika Y.'s gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +13 more
OP WongRQ Contributing Member • Posts: 558

Mika Y. wrote:

WongRQ wrote:

Hi everyone,

I doubt any consumer camera products have hot shoes that are engineered for the kind of stresses using this kind of set up would create. So my guess it that it might work temporarily, but sooner or later the hot shoe would break or bend enough to no longer work reliably.

I don’t mean hanging the camera. It’s camera, hot shoe side on top, 3/8” -16 gets directed to a head and another camera gets attached below

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,299

WongRQ wrote:

Mika Y. wrote:

WongRQ wrote:

Hi everyone,

I don’t mean hanging the camera. It’s camera, hot shoe side on top, 3/8” -16 gets directed to a head and another camera gets attached below

I wouldn't attach anything heavier than an external shoe-mount flash to the hotshoe.  Anything else is a repair bill.

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,925

WongRQ wrote:

Mika Y. wrote:

WongRQ wrote:

Hi everyone,

It will break.

That's why cages were invented; to attach heavier stuff to camera bodies. You'd probably need something customizable; check https://www.smallrig.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D9Q14qLNmXO_lADsXFI0eIf63FW6spogzVIYvE9dfNfNNM3DHfH-bsaAp0lEALw_wcB

I've never seen it for a second camera body on top. There are rails and such for side-by-side for like 3d, see eg http://www.photographers-resource.co.uk/photography/3D/3D_taking_two.htm

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 21,055

WongRQ wrote:

... why not just have an articulating arm on top of the hot shoe and mount another DSLR on the other end (use adapters if needed)

The normal way is to mount the cameras side-by-side on a dual support like this:

JimH123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,189

robgendreau wrote:

WongRQ wrote:

Mika Y. wrote:

WongRQ wrote:

Hi everyone,

It will break.

That's why cages were invented; to attach heavier stuff to camera bodies. You'd probably need something customizable; check https://www.smallrig.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D9Q14qLNmXO_lADsXFI0eIf63FW6spogzVIYvE9dfNfNNM3DHfH-bsaAp0lEALw_wcB

I've never seen it for a second camera body on top. There are rails and such for side-by-side for like 3d, see eg http://www.photographers-resource.co.uk/photography/3D/3D_taking_two.htm

Yes!  This is the way to do it.  I like using two cameras for astrophotography.  One camera with a telephoto and one with a wider angle to show where the telephoto one is pointing at.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II +3 more

robgendreau wrote:

WongRQ wrote:

Mika Y. wrote:

WongRQ wrote:

Hi everyone,

It will break.

Ok thanks for the clarification

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 15,621

WongRQ wrote:

Mika Y. wrote:

WongRQ wrote:

Hi everyone,

I strongly suggest that before you do any mod to your camera or lenses whatsoever, come back and ask...

BTW, please  do not attempt any sort of home rennovation either.

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,956

Would an extension rod, with 2 or 3 tripod heads adapted on it, be attached to a monopod or tripod, works for you?

Camera reviewers do it for quite some times already to compare multiple cameras.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more

alcelc wrote:

Would an extension rod, with 2 or 3 tripod heads adapted on it, be attached to a monopod or tripod, works for you?

Camera reviewers do it for quite some times already to compare multiple cameras.

Hi, I see. Thanks did your suggestion

PerTulip Senior Member • Posts: 1,589

WongRQ wrote:

...Is it dangerous though? Will the camera just break into pieces after long hours or are they tough enough?

You really need to hate your camera to even attempt that....

PerTulip's gear list:PerTulip's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads