Possible to use 40mm with Nikon z5/z6 and ES-2 Film Digitizer?

Started 5 months ago | Questions
GillMan New Member • Posts: 9
Possible to use 40mm with Nikon z5/z6 and ES-2 Film Digitizer?

Hello,

Presently I have a Nikon D90 and the ES-1 film digitizer.  I've used this with the AF-S Micro 40mm 2.8G lens to digitize numerous slides, though I still have much more I'd like to digitize.

At this point, I'd really like to go full-frame, so will likely be upgrading to a Nikon Z5 or Z6ii sometime soon, and will also likely get the ES-2 film digitizer.   I really don't want dish out the cash for a 60mm lens, which I know is what you would typically use with full-frame for this purpose.   Is there any way I could use my existing 40mm lens and still get the extra resolution provided by the Z5/6 sensor?

Thanks,
Preston

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon D90 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
labalaba Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Re: Possible to use 40mm with Nikon z5/z6 and ES-2 Film Digitizer?

As far as I know, you would have to use the FX camera in DX mode.

Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,810

GillMan wrote:

I really don't want dish out the cash for a 60mm lens, which I know is what you would typically use with full-frame for this purpose. Is there any way I could use my existing 40mm lens and still get the extra resolution provided by the Z5/6 sensor?

TL;DR -- not worth the effort.
The main issue you'd face is that the 40mm isn't designed to illuminate the full Z5 or Z6 sensor.  I think you could use a Kenko 1.4x teleconverter to expand the image to nearly cover the frame, I see at least 2-3 problems with that "solution:"

-- hide signature --

The Kenko TC may or may not be compatible.  While I have an older Kenko 1.4x, and it works with my 18-105mm and 55-200mm DX lenses, I don't have a 40mm to try it with.

-- Teleconverters are designed for longer lenses.  While you'd record more pixels, the optical quality would likely suffer.

-- A new Kenko 1.4x teleconverter is roughly the same price as a 60mm f/2.8D.

Another thing to think about is that even the best gear can only work with what you start out with.  Given the realities of old slides, I'm not sure that 24 megapixels is going to give you significantly more to work with than the 10.9 megapixels you get in crop mode.
 --
Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +43 more
Photo_AK
Photo_AK Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

Just by the new 50/2.8 macro lens and be done with it ...

-- hide signature --

Robert Capa said 'You can never get close enough'. Well, he did ...

Photo_AK's gear list:Photo_AK's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica SL2 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +10 more
Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,770
better use 40mm with Nikon D7100 or D7200 .

GillMan wrote:

Hello,

Presently I have a Nikon D90 and the ES-1 film digitizer. I've used this with the AF-S Micro 40mm 2.8G lens to digitize numerous slides, though I still have much more I'd like to digitize.

At this point, I'd really like to go full-frame, so will likely be upgrading to a Nikon Z5 or Z6ii sometime soon, and will also likely get the ES-2 film digitizer. I really don't want dish out the cash for a 60mm lens, which I know is what you would typically use with full-frame for this purpose. Is there any way I could use my existing 40mm lens and still get the extra resolution provided by the Z5/6 sensor?

Thanks,
Preston

DX crop mode of the Z7 gives you 20 Mpix.

The Z5/Z6 DX crop gives you slightly less Mpix than your D90 with 12 Mpix.

12 Mpix is pretty OK for most slides, it already begins to show  the "grain" limitations of BW film and slides.

For the price of the FTZ adapter you may get a D7100 on Ebay.  As an AA-less 24 Mpix camera it challenges the resolution that you might get with the Z7. It should beat the 24 Mpix micro contrast  that you may get with 24 Mpix FX camera like Z5 Z6 D750 D780 and FX optic, becuase all use an AA-filter, which lowers micro contrast in order to diminish risk of moire. -- I have not heard of moire issues in slide reproduction. In any case you can reduce micro-contrast for slide reproduction by stopping down to f/11 or more.

The higher resolution should be really good enough for all color slide films and most BW films, except uncommon ultra high resolution films. 20-24 Mpix  with decent optics like the 40mm lens is comparable to the best scanners. The elusive drum scanners mainly control mechanically that the film does not bend out of focus. You could consider focus stacking for badly bent slides that are worth a lot of extra effort.

Bernard Delley's gear list:Bernard Delley's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads