EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
CR1975 Forum Member • Posts: 82
EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again

Hi all

just wanted to get some psp on this one as i know a LOT of you have experienced it.

Problem:  intermittent rear dial responsiveness.  It is not to the point that it does not respond at all.  It can take a few turns of the thumb sometimes, and others, it is just a slight turn.

I wanted to see what everyone's experience has been in terms of resolution.  Obviously my EM1 is out of Warranty and I am cringing at sending it back to OMDS for repair.  Likely will cost half of what the camera is worth.

However, whichever way I land, i am going to have to deal with it, else it goes for sale well below what it is worth.   I have since upgraded to a EM5.3 and want to see the EM1.1 go to a nice home for use but also with Eyes wide open should it end up going as is.

I have heard all sorts of tips and tricks from different threads but would like to get some perspective from y'all on here.   I am also bracing myself as I know that this was a painful topic for many.

thanks!

-Cornell

-- hide signature --

===
Shooting an Olympus in Vancouver, BC!

 CR1975's gear list:CR1975's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ROC124 Contributing Member • Posts: 798
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again
2

Many of us found spinning the dial back and forth for a minute or two before a shooting session would keep it working well enough, repeating as needed. Eventually I just used the left/right keys in place of the dial. Works fine and is fast, just takes creating a new muscle memory. I eventually had Olympus service replace the dial when the camera was in for unrelated service. Seems like I paid about $125 US out of warranty. Check with OMDS for today’s price.

-- hide signature --

Bob Cole

 ROC124's gear list:ROC124's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +10 more
Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,939
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again
1

I'd try some compressed air to start with. There's probably a bit of dust inside the dial that blocks the rotary encoder within.

 Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
OP CR1975 Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again

ROC124 wrote:

Many of us found spinning the dial back and forth for a minute or two before a shooting session would keep it working well enough, repeating as needed. Eventually I just used the left/right keys in place of the dial. Works fine and is fast, just takes creating a new muscle memory. I eventually had Olympus service replace the dial when the camera was in for unrelated service. Seems like I paid about $125 US out of warranty. Check with OMDS for today’s price.

Thanks ROC124

i have done that with mixed results in terms of the spinning back and forth.  i could use the L/R keys, but not clear if i want to change to that just yet.

OMDS quotes a flat $250 CAD for the cleaning and replacement.  I am debating about this and possibly getting Pro Advantage as I was going to extend my warranty on the E-M5 MK3 so may be able to save a bit there (15%) plus the shipping to OMDS which likely will cost an additional 30-40$ CAD(maybe more) as i have to ship it to New Jersey.

sigh.

-- hide signature --

===
Shooting an Olympus in Vancouver, BC!

 CR1975's gear list:CR1975's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
OP CR1975 Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again
1

Danielvr wrote:

I'd try some compressed air to start with. There's probably a bit of dust inside the dial that blocks the rotary encoder within.

Thanks Danielvr.  i will give that a go!

-- hide signature --

===
Shooting an Olympus in Vancouver, BC!

 CR1975's gear list:CR1975's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,270
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again
4

Had this problem six months after buying a new model in late 2016 at the end of the production run. Fiddled with it for short term usability but then brought it in to Olympus in Nj for repair. I said this is a known issue, and they did not hesitate to agree and replaced dial.

Since this is a known issue with the mark I, as well as the strap lugs falling off, they should fix it for free. And there have been threads here and there over the years with the same issue occurring out of warranty and being fixed with no charge. That said, I suggest you go on the offensive and call and find the right person to state that a known design flaw has occurred and it has been your understanding that this is often fixed without charge. Be insistent, you have nothing to lose by trying and are, more or less, within your rights fora free repair, or settle for a reduced fee. $250 to repair is about what the camera would sell for after fees.

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

 Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +10 more
rodriguezPhoto
rodriguezPhoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,637
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again

I sent mine in to Olympus last year for repair.  I considered getting another one, which might have cost about the same, but another used one might also develop the same problem, so I decided to fix the low shutter count one that I already owned.  $215 US.  They replaced the rear dial, grip cover, and the viewfinder which had a small burn in it (another issue for the E-M1.1).  If you send it in be aware that they will do a firmware update, even if you are current, so note down any special settings that you may have.

-- hide signature --

~~~ Kim

 rodriguezPhoto's gear list:rodriguezPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-3 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +49 more
rovingtim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,861
press the other way

My dial starts working again if I push it from the front. I think the thumb pressure puts it out of alignment (poor design). Mine almost completely stopped working but now I'm a) careful not to push on it from the back and b) use it with my fingers while pulling it on the front.

So far, so good.

greyghost59 Contributing Member • Posts: 688
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again
1

If you do a google search for Witonos Freestyle ...its a site where theres a fix for this problem. On the main page at the top click on the photography section then scroll down on the right you should find posts and pages. There you should find the fix for the rear dial.

Did it myself and worked great....never had any more problems.

 greyghost59's gear list:greyghost59's gear list
Nikon D7200 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm F4-5.6G VR II Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 +7 more
Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,939
Link to repair instructions by Witonos Freestyle
2

Thanks for the reminder. The direct link is:

https://witonosfreestyle.wordpress.com/2016/11/17/olympus-e-m1-rear-dial-repair-tips/

..but note that this does involve removing the bottom and back plates of the camera body, so, not for the faint of heart, or the clumsy

 Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
greyghost59 Contributing Member • Posts: 688
Re: Link to repair instructions by Witonos Freestyle

Yes i agree you need to have some experience with small screw drivers and screws etc, and those small ribbon cables can break easily unless your familiar with what they are.

I actually ended up removing the rear panel all together and got good acsess to the encoder to clean it, which is why mine was so sucsessful i think.

But wouldnt have tryed it out without seeing the witonos post first thats for sure.

but was a fun little project.

 greyghost59's gear list:greyghost59's gear list
Nikon D7200 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm F4-5.6G VR II Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 +7 more
SB1956 Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again
1

Here in UK the retailer I have used maintains that Olympus are the easiest of companies they have to deal with when it comes to things like this.

I had an issue with a very minor peel on the handgrip  material on the mark2 - just under the shutter release- and it was sorted immediately. The camera came back looking like a brand new unit in a new box with what I am sure was a new strap and with a complimentary professional lens cleaning cloth and a letter from the technician who had completed the repair with direct contact details on it.

My unit was approaching the end of its extended warranty but I was left with the impression that if it was clear the unit had not been abused and was well looked after It Olympus would bend over backwards to help.

I suggest you take it back to the store you bought it from and ask them to speak to Olympus for you.

if it was an online purchase from a retailer without a height street presence I guess you start with e-mails and photo’s of the unit.

if it’s a well known issue Olympus will know and given they market the brand on quality and ability to perform in harsh environments and not the user down, I think if the unit has not been trashed you stand a good chance of it being sorted at nil or minimum cost,

Good luck.

 SB1956's gear list:SB1956's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III
OP CR1975 Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again

SB1956 wrote:

Here in UK the retailer I have used maintains that Olympus are the easiest of companies they have to deal with when it comes to things like this.

I had an issue with a very minor peel on the handgrip material on the mark2 - just under the shutter release- and it was sorted immediately. The camera came back looking like a brand new unit in a new box with what I am sure was a new strap and with a complimentary professional lens cleaning cloth and a letter from the technician who had completed the repair with direct contact details on it.

My unit was approaching the end of its extended warranty but I was left with the impression that if it was clear the unit had not been abused and was well looked after It Olympus would bend over backwards to help.

I suggest you take it back to the store you bought it from and ask them to speak to Olympus for you.

if it was an online purchase from a retailer without a height street presence I guess you start with e-mails and photo’s of the unit.

if it’s a well known issue Olympus will know and given they market the brand on quality and ability to perform in harsh environments and not the user down, I think if the unit has not been trashed you stand a good chance of it being sorted at nil or minimum cost,

Good luck.

yes.  It seems like experience in Europe has been good vs what we have seen in N.America.  I have decided to leverage my Pro Advantage option in case I get a heavy pricey quote for the repair and at least shipping to OMDS is covered, which can cost an arm and a leg from Canada to New Jersey.

I have made my case with them and will see what they come back with.  My E-M1.1 only has 13K actuation's and has not seen any real negative or impactful use.   I expect to hear from them on Friday and lets see if my roll of the dice gets me a seven/eleven or the dreaded snake eyes. 

Either way, I would only happy with off loading the camera if i knew it was is fully functional condition, including the rear wheel. 

-- hide signature --

===
Shooting an Olympus in Vancouver, BC!

 CR1975's gear list:CR1975's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,270
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again

CR1975 wrote:

I have made my case with them and will see what they come back with. My E-M1.1 only has 13K actuation's and has not seen any real negative or impactful use. I expect to hear from them on Friday and lets see if my roll of the dice gets me a seven/eleven or the dreaded snake eyes.

I hope you stressed that your camera had light use, 13k clicks. Mine was six months new and had under 5k when it failed ☹️

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

 Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +10 more
OP CR1975 Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again

Albert Valentino wrote:

CR1975 wrote:

I have made my case with them and will see what they come back with. My E-M1.1 only has 13K actuation's and has not seen any real negative or impactful use. I expect to hear from them on Friday and lets see if my roll of the dice gets me a seven/eleven or the dreaded snake eyes.

I hope you stressed that your camera had light use, 13k clicks. Mine was six months new and had under 5k when it failed ☹️

absolutely did.  It will be interesting what comes of this.  Jeesh, failing dial sub 5K is terrible!

-- hide signature --

===
Shooting an Olympus in Vancouver, BC!

 CR1975's gear list:CR1975's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,270
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again

CR1975 wrote:

Albert Valentino wrote:

CR1975 wrote:

I have made my case with them and will see what they come back with. My E-M1.1 only has 13K actuation's and has not seen any real negative or impactful use. I expect to hear from them on Friday and lets see if my roll of the dice gets me a seven/eleven or the dreaded snake eyes.

I hope you stressed that your camera had light use, 13k clicks. Mine was six months new and had under 5k when it failed ☹️

absolutely did. It will be interesting what comes of this. Jeesh, failing dial sub 5K is terrible!

Yes, and it was not even a early production run. I bought mine new from BH Photo in late 2016 after the mark II came out. This shows that a well known issue was never corrected in later production runs 😐

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

 Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +10 more
Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,939
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again

This shows that a well known issue was never corrected in later production runs 😐

The assumption that there has been more than one run may not be true.

As I understand it, Olympus camera bodies are manufactured in a single large run (well, that's how it was in the E-system days).

Of course, this issue was solved in the next iteration of the E-M1, along with the problems of the EVF burn-in and loose strap lugs.

 Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,270
Manufacture date…

Danielvr wrote:

This shows that a well known issue was never corrected in later production runs 😐

The assumption that there has been more than one run may not be true.

As I understand it, Olympus camera bodies are manufactured in a single large run (well, that's how it was in the E-system days).

There are definitely several production runs. The date (month and year) of each camera and serial number can be found on the third page of the super secret menu - last 4 digits of MCS

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

 Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +10 more
Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,939
Re: Manufacture date…

There are definitely several production runs. The date (month and year) of each camera and serial number can be found on the third page of the super secret menu - last 4 digits of MCS

What your illustration shows is that different camera models have different production dates (which of course was obvious to begin with). To support your assertion of multiple E-M1 Mk.1 production runs, we'd have to check several E-M1's and see when they were made. If you post instructions on how to get to that secret page, I'd be happy to look.

 Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,728
Re: EM1.1 Rear Dial Issue --- not again

Danielvr wrote:

This shows that a well known issue was never corrected in later production runs 😐

The assumption that there has been more than one run may not be true.

As I understand it, Olympus camera bodies are manufactured in a single large run (well, that's how it was in the E-system days).

I think things were a bit different then - Oly probably sold more EM5 Mk1s than the entire lifespan of all models of DSLR E 4/3 cameras put together and not far off as many EM1 Mk1s -

Parts are another matter, Oly aren`t noted for updating poorly designed parts with "Fixed" versions, witness the dials on the EP5 for another, the tripod base on the EM5-III will be another - they just seemed to hope that they`d break out of warranty so they`d not have to foot the repair cost... its cost effective I guess but does nothing for customer loyalty .. Oly are out of it all now of course, Hopefully OMDS will be a lot more customer centric .

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

 AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D3 Nikon Z7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads