My first Expo for local photoclub - need opinions

Started 5 months ago | Photos
MVDH
MVDH Senior Member • Posts: 1,208
My first Expo for local photoclub - need opinions

Hi all,
Last year I joined a local photography club, to learn and improve my photography. Next Month I will join an exposition of the photo club, and it will be my first time joining an exposition.

Theme of the Expo is " Water ", and everyone is supposed to print 3 pictures and frame them in 40x50 cm frames. I will print mine in 40x30 cm format and add a white or grey background.

I have selected 4 pictures from the Abiskojahkka river in Northern Sweden. The river cuts through the colourful Abisko canyon. It is such a nice place, these images are very dear to me.

I´m undecided between between 2 pictures, so would appreciate to hear your opinion on which set you like the most. The first set, or the second.

If you have any other comments I would really appreciate your constructive feedback.

MVDH's gear list:MVDH's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 7,463
Re: My first Expo for local photoclub - need opinions

I really like triptychs

https://www.peterdelehar.photos/gallery_757212.html

Your first triptych is more coherent. The third image does not fit, as it has to much white/grey, IMHO, of course.

Peter

Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
charleyd Senior Member • Posts: 1,240

I agree with Peter...the  1st set is more coherent. Photographly there is nothing wrong with the 2nd set. It is just that the 3rd photo is more of a stand alone photo.

Lan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,205

MVDH wrote:

If you have any other comments I would really appreciate your constructive feedback.

Cracking shots; and I think both triptychs are lovely.

Personally I prefer the second set. as I don't like the way the trees obscure the river in the first image of the first set.

If I were to suggest anything, I'd consider rearranging the order of the images in #2. I'd switch the right hand two images, and consider flipping the now middle image. That way the water flows towards the middle of the set and the forms mirror better?

I also find the greens in the river a bit too vivid for my tastes; but that is just a matter of taste. At the end of the day, they're your images; and that's just my opinion

Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,659

MVDH wrote:

Hi all,
Last year I joined a local photography club, to learn and improve my photography. Next Month I will join an exposition of the photo club, and it will be my first time joining an exposition.

Theme of the Expo is " Water ", and everyone is supposed to print 3 pictures and frame them in 40x50 cm frames. I will print mine in 40x30 cm format and add a white or grey background.

I have selected 4 pictures from the Abiskojahkka river in Northern Sweden. The river cuts through the colourful Abisko canyon. It is such a nice place, these images are very dear to me.

I´m undecided between between 2 pictures, so would appreciate to hear your opinion on which set you like the most. The first set, or the second.

The second set looks nicer to me. The first image in the first set is too cluttered and chaotic, compared to others.

In the second set, the third image has a very bright distracting blob in the bottom left corer, I'd darken it by a couple of stops.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 6,003

The first image in the first set is a mediocre image and looks a bit like you just managed to get a bit of a view of the river. I'd rethink which images you have that are best to be shown as a set. You may even have another image you have not shown that would better complement your better images.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
MVDH
OP MVDH Senior Member • Posts: 1,208

Gary from Seattle wrote:

The first image in the first set is a mediocre image and looks a bit like you just managed to get a bit of a view of the river. I'd rethink which images you have that are best to be shown as a set. You may even have another image you have not shown that would better complement your better images.

That first image is indeed a photo that I think is not just up to it, that why I looked at alternative images and created 2nd set. But as others have stated the 1st set is a bit more coherent overall.
My other images are mostly horizontally framed, and that doesn´t fit well for an expo I think. Prefer to keep 3 vertical oriented images.

Sony a6500 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
MVDH

Thanks for all your feedback so far. Much appreciated.
Both my "concerns" for the 1st image and the last images are more or less confirmed by you all...

rick decker
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,980

I would take the three images of the 2nd set.  Move the left one to the center - it the most appealing of the three;  move  the center one  to the right; tone down the right one and move it to the left.  You could try this and get feedback.

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

Jeff Bondono Regular Member • Posts: 401

I agree. 2nd set is better since set 2 #3 is a more interesting shot to me than set 1 #1.  If set 2 #3 doesn't fit the mood of the others, work to make it fit better.  Make it a bit less intense, and move it into the middle, where the most intense photo fits better. Perhaps flip the other photo horizontally, as someone else suggested to make a symmetric triptych. But don't throw out your strongest photo for a weaker one.

Jeff Bondono's gear list:Jeff Bondono's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R IV Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +3 more
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 5,520

MVDH wrote:

The 2nd set by far. The first image in the first set is out of place and not very good. The 2nd set the images are all well done and they go together very well.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 7,055

Great color, if I had to select one under the theme "water" it would be the last one. Overall, they all appear "too tightly framed" for my personal taste. Have fun!

p.s. who came up with the idea for the club members to print such large (expensive) prints? Maybe the local print shop? (hohoho!) 

Krusty79 Senior Member • Posts: 2,716

I'd go with the second set because the third image in the 2nd set is way better than the first image in the first set.

I also agree they are cropped too tightly for my taste.

I think you'll do well with those images.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gkphotos79/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg79
"You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature" - Larry Andersen

Krusty79's gear list:Krusty79's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 2,125

I like the first 3.

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
MVDH

OK.. thanks everybody for your very valuable feedback. I appreciate your opnions and critical eye very much. Many thanks!

In the end, thanks to your input and comments, I decided to select a completely different serie for the photoclub expo. This is my selection, I hope you like them.

All 3 images are taken in 2017 in Abisko National park in Northern Sweden, just like my other 2 series posted earlier. The beautiful Abiskojakka river has cut a nice canyon in the landscape, which is a real joy to photograph. Colourfull rocks, cristal clear water, and diffused light of the authum in combination with fall colours (this was end August) make it such a colourfull place.

My personal favorite image from that place is the 2nd one in this serie. It didn´t fit well with the portrait orientation of the earlier sets so I left it out.. but I decided that the strongest image (in my eyes) should be in there, so I selected the other images to fitwith it.

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 8,102

+1 I like the 2nd set 3rd one but it does not look like the others. Nice shots by the way

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads