Screen flickering on obtaining AF with Leica SL (typ 601)

Started 5 months ago | Questions
ChloeScan Regular Member • Posts: 110
Screen flickering on obtaining AF with Leica SL (typ 601)

Hi,

I’d appreciate advice and opinions here please.
I have just bought a Leica SL (typ601) used from MPB. I am delighted with the condition of the camera, it looks brand new.
However I’ve noticed when acquiring focus there is a flicker in the viewfinder, I happens in both AFS and AFC modes. I’ve tried it with two lenses now, the Panasonic 24-105 f4 and the Sigma 35 f2 and it happens every time the green square lights up when focusing.
I'm flummoxed, has anyone any ideas as I couldn’t live with this if it’s a known issue.
Thank You.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Leica SL (Typ 601)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Eric Borgstrm New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Screen flickering on obtaining AF with Leica SL (typ 601)

It's how contrast-detect autofocus works. By changing focus position until it is satisfied. If it bothers you buy a camera using an other system. I hardly notice.
/Eric

FredInMN1 Contributing Member • Posts: 717

Also make sure your SL has the current firmware, think its 3.7:

Downloads // Support // Service & Support - Leica Camera AG (leica-camera.com)

FredInMN1's gear list:FredInMN1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony DSC-RX0 Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R +14 more
mdavidp Senior Member • Posts: 2,380

Hi,

Try a Leica lens.

M

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50R
OP ChloeScan Regular Member • Posts: 110

Eric Borgstrm wrote:

It's how contrast-detect autofocus works. By changing focus position until it is satisfied. If it bothers you buy a camera using an other system. I hardly notice.
/Eric

I also have a Panasonic S1 and recently used an S5 and there is no viewfinder flicker there, ever.

So you’re saying that contrast AF works by emitting a flicker across the EVF every time I acquire focus?

mdavidp wrote:

Hi,

Try a Leica lens.

M

I haven’t got a Leica lens and can’t afford one, sorry.

Eric Borgstrm New Member • Posts: 24

If you google contrast focus you can find plenty: "Contrast detection AF works by analyzing pixels on the camera's sensor. It works on the basis that the subject is in focus when contrast is highest. To find that point it has to push the focusing point of the lens back and forth. As a result contrast detection AF is slower than phase detection AF." You can also find videos.

I don´t find flickering a problem having Leica, Panasonic and Sigman lenses on my SL and Panasonic S1R. Keep the Leica! Excellent camera.

/Eric

Eric Borgstrm wrote:

If you google contrast focus you can find plenty: "Contrast detection AF works by analyzing pixels on the camera's sensor. It works on the basis that the subject is in focus when contrast is highest. To find that point it has to push the focusing point of the lens back and forth. As a result contrast detection AF is slower than phase detection AF." You can also find videos.

I don´t find flickering a problem having Leica, Panasonic and Sigman lenses on my SL and Panasonic S1R. Keep the Leica! Excellent camera.

/Eric

Eric, I appreciate your input. However this is nothing to do with the contrast focus. I’ve had many cameras that use contrast focus and this is the first issue I’ve had.
It is a very prominent flicker that comes across the EVF just as focus is acquired and the green square lights up. It is similar to when you watch a horror film like Poltergeist etc where there is a flicker running across a TV screen just before all hell breaks loose. It’s nothing to do with the contrast focus.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads