Photo Competition Moral/Ethical Dilemma Locked

Started 3 months ago | Questions
This thread is locked.
mark25 Forum Member • Posts: 59
Photo Competition Moral/Ethical Dilemma

Hi everyone, I need your opinion on the following matter:

A certain photographic competition states a rule that the pictures to be submitted must be taken on 16 megapixel cameras and the photographer must provide full EXIF info.

The photographer who's willing to take part in the competition has some images that were taken with 16 megapixel cameras, no problem.

However, some of his most favorite/remarkable/best work was done on 12 megapixel cameras (Pro and mirror-less both)...

The photographer has the following question for you:

1) Is it ethical/moral if he prints the 12 MP photos and re-shoots them with a 16MP camera (this way the images will comply with the competition rules + the EXIF will also fit the rules)

2)Would this be considered "unfair" or plain "wrong" ?

Remember, he is the copyright/original/legal owner of the 12MP photos, he took them himself.

Looking forward to your answers.

Thanks

Mark

ANSWER:
Halina123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,570
Re: Photo Competition Moral/Ethical Dilemma

mark25 wrote:

A certain photographic competition states a rule that the pictures to be submitted must be taken on 16 megapixel cameras and the photographer must provide full EXIF info.

The photographer who's willing to take part in the competition has some images that were taken with 16 megapixel cameras, no problem.

However, some of his most favorite/remarkable/best work was done on 12 megapixel cameras (Pro and mirror-less both)...

1) Is it ethical/moral if he prints the 12 MP photos and re-shoots them with a 16MP camera (this way the images will comply with the competition rules + the EXIF will also fit the rules)

Remember, he is the copyright/original/legal owner of the 12MP photos, he took them himself.

Thanks

Mark

What photographic competition insists on the use of 16 megapixel cameras, not more, not less?

OP mark25 Forum Member • Posts: 59

there is one that does, so please answer the question that i have asked.

mark25 wrote:

I don't believe you.

You sound like a troll.😁

Dr_Love
Dr_Love Contributing Member • Posts: 931

mark25 wrote:

Thanks

Mark

I'm not aware of any competition wher you need to use a specific number of megapixels. The only logic I could see is maybe a situation for students or something to level the playing field at a reasonable cost for new shooters. If this is an entry level competition and your friend is using pro gear ( +skills to go with it), perhaps they should look for a competition against their peers of equal skill.

The other thing I would suggest is to contact the organizers. There is a good chance they will allow fewer megapixels since less would generally seen as a disadvantage.

Dr_Love's gear list:Dr_Love's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +8 more
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,342

Why not ask the organization that is running the competition?

Cheers,
Doug

I emailed the organizers, they said that the stipulation is to make sure the quality doesn't get affected. They also said that its 16 or more MP, anything less won't do it.

thank you, I did email the organizers, they said that the stipulation is to make sure the quality doesn't get affected. They also said that its 16 or more MP, anything less won't do it.

mark25 wrote:

thank you, I did email the organizers, they said that the stipulation is to make sure the quality doesn't get affected. They also said that its 16 or more MP, anything less won't do it.

Did you ask them if a 16 MP (or higher) photo of a photo would meet the criteria?

Cheers,

Doug

yes, i did. they insisted, though, that the cameras on which the images should be taken has to be 16MP at least.

Dr_Love
Dr_Love Contributing Member • Posts: 931

mark25 wrote:

I emailed the organizers, they said that the stipulation is to make sure the quality doesn't get affected. They also said that its 16 or more MP, anything less won't do it.

Sounds like you have your answer.

Ethically what you have suggested doesn't break the rules so I would have no problem with it. On the other hand , what chance do you have with a photo of a print vs true 42mp + images? The image quality of your solution will likely not cut it. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

Dr_Love's gear list:Dr_Love's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +8 more

not sorry at all, thank you for your reply. I'm still wondering how big a print would I need to make of the 12mp files in order to capture enough details for it to be good enough for the competition...?

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 19,301

mark25 wrote:

yes, i did. they insisted, though, that the cameras on which the images should be taken has to be 16MP at least.

Sounds like one of those rights grabs; they want to be able to sell and print them later, and the "winners" will get a pat on the back.

Photo Contests – Is that a contest or Rights Grab? (digital-photography-school.com)

Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,973

I must admit that this is one of the most stupid rules I have ever heard. Let's say two photographers take the same picture. One with a 12 megapixel camera and the other with a 20 megapixel camera. . Photographer one fills the frame with the subject, so the picture is uncropped. Photographer 2 was further away and had to rather severely crop the picture. Photographer 1's picture would be disqualified, but photographer 2's picture allowed even though photographer 1's picture is probably of higher quality.--
Jim
http://www.pbase.com/jcassatt

Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 +21 more
Phil A Martin
Phil A Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 6,372

Halina123 wrote:

mark25 wrote:

Thanks

Mark

What photographic competition insists on the use of 16 megapixel cameras, not more, not less?

Yes it's an odd photography competition that would be so rigid in it's entry requirements but if those are the rules, so be it and any attempt to circumvent them would be unethical.

Phil A Martin
Phil A Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 6,372

mark25 wrote:

I did, it would be unethical to forge an entry that by passes the rules.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

mark25 wrote:

A silly rule, I wonder if they realize the lens plays a role in resolution. Perhaps they should specify the minimum number of elements, number of groups, and MTF 

Cheers,
Doug

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 19,301

Doug J wrote:

mark25 wrote:

A silly rule, I wonder if they realize the lens plays a role in resolution.

It will make easier for them to sell the images.

msu79gt82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,524
Re: Moral/Ethical Dilemma

Interesting discussion in this thread.

The rules are clearly stated; photos MUST be shot with a 16+ MP camera to qualify for the competition. Many (most?) don’t like and/or agree with the rules so the ethical/moral dilemma revolves around how does one bend/break/circumvent these clearly stated rules so that one may do as they please regardless of said rules.

Society increasingly insists on following a “I do what I want” philosophy.

msu79gt82's gear list:msu79gt82's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +7 more

mark25 wrote:

So, when they explicitly stated 16MP, they implicitly meant at least 16MP.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads