Four from the Fall

Started 3 months ago | Photos
misterodd
misterodd Senior Member • Posts: 1,507
Four from the Fall

I finally had an opportunity to get out to the countryside, and opted for the forests of Chichibu which is a mountainous area north of Tokyo.  I chanced upon a magnificent waterfall that was upstream about a kilometer from where we arrived.  This truly was the first real photo opportunity since well before the pandemic so I tried to make the most of it by taking a few dozen snaps.

Romancing The Stone

A River Runs Through It

Into The Wild

The Mission

-- hide signature --

Box Man

misterodd's gear list:misterodd's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon 1 V3 +15 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,331
Re: Four from the Fall

misterodd wrote:

I finally had an opportunity to get out to the countryside, and opted for the forests of Chichibu which is a mountainous area north of Tokyo. I chanced upon a magnificent waterfall that was upstream about a kilometer from where we arrived. This truly was the first real photo opportunity since well before the pandemic so I tried to make the most of it by taking a few dozen snaps.

Romancing The Stone

A River Runs Through It

Into The Wild

The Mission

Loved # 3 and 4!

Perfect!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,168

I like both the photos and the 1980s/1990s movie titles you assigned to each. It must have been enjoyable to actually be there.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,729

misterodd wrote:

I finally had an opportunity to get out to the countryside, and opted for the forests of Chichibu which is a mountainous area north of Tokyo. I chanced upon a magnificent waterfall that was upstream about a kilometer from where we arrived. This truly was the first real photo opportunity since well before the pandemic so I tried to make the most of it by taking a few dozen snaps.

Romancing The Stone

A River Runs Through It

Into The Wild

The Mission

Very nice set. I like them all, but my favourite is the last one. Beautiful picture.

Out of curiosity, are these falls natural? I see a kind of wall, built with stones, particularly in the 2nd one.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
RichDitch
RichDitch Contributing Member • Posts: 978

Thanks for posting such refreshing images. It looks like a very soothing location. Good work with minimal one camera one lens kit.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,095

Looks like a nice escape from Tokyo's heat. Did you go for a dip?

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
misterodd
OP misterodd Senior Member • Posts: 1,507

Thanks!  Glad you liked them.

-- hide signature --

Box Man

misterodd

cyuill2007 wrote:

I like both the photos and the 1980s/1990s movie titles you assigned to each. It must have been enjoyable to actually be there.

You must be a film aficionado, too.  Happy you quickly picked up on the not-so-hidden allusions.  Thanks for visiting!

-- hide signature --

Box Man

misterodd

André BARELIER wrote:

misterodd wrote:

Romancing The Stone

A River Runs Through It

Into The Wild

The Mission

Very nice set. I like them all, but my favourite is the last one. Beautiful picture.

Out of curiosity, are these falls natural? I see a kind of wall, built with stones, particularly in the 2nd one.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!  Glad you liked the set.  You ask a very interesting question and I wish I could provide you with an unambiguous answer but I can't.  I assume though that this was a natural fall with stone added later to make it more attractive among other reasons.

-- hide signature --

Box Man

misterodd

RichDitch wrote:

Thanks for posting such refreshing images. It looks like a very soothing location. Good work with minimal one camera one lens kit.

Ritch, thanks for dropping by and commenting.  Much appreciated.  It was soothing to the soul and my aching bones.  Frigid waters usually does the trick on days when the mercury is around 100F.  

-- hide signature --

Box Man

misterodd

Sangster wrote:

Looks like a nice escape from Tokyo's heat. Did you go for a dip?

Indeed it was a great escape from the lifeless atmosphere of cement, glass, and steel characteristic of hypermodernity.  Inadvertently, I almost went for "a dip"--a plunge, really.  LOL   The current in some sections of the stream/river was fairly strong and the rocks added some risk due to the slipperiness of rubbing sandal against moss.

-- hide signature --

Box Man

cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,168

misterodd wrote:

cyuill2007 wrote:

You must be a film aficionado, too. Happy you quickly picked up on the not-so-hidden allusions. Thanks for visiting!

“A River Runs Through It” was one of my favourite movies of the 1990s. A beautiful, quiet masterpiece from director Robert Redford. Your photo would have fit in with the scenes from that film.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,331

cyuill2007 wrote:

misterodd wrote:

cyuill2007 wrote:

You must be a film aficionado, too. Happy you quickly picked up on the not-so-hidden allusions. Thanks for visiting!

“A River Runs Through It” was one of my favourite movies of the 1990s. A beautiful, quiet masterpiece from director Robert Redford. Your photo would have fit in with the scenes from that film.

I am a fan of most Redford-directed films, but that one didn't cut the cake!
The three others are certainly among my own collection of DVDs.
One of the Jurrasic movies has a similar weir!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 2,303

refreshing photos- thanks for posting

misterodd

cyuill2007 wrote:

misterodd wrote:

cyuill2007 wrote:

Yeah, it was a good film with its beautiful depictions of life and fishing in Montana.  Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

-- hide signature --

Box Man

misterodd

rich_cx139 wrote:

refreshing photos- thanks for posting

Glad you enjoyed them!

-- hide signature --

Box Man