Pandemic photography

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Ellinor William Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Pandemic photography

I do believe the Pandemic has impacted the Photography sector. Being stuck at home and clicking pictures of our dog and garden is not fulfilling.

It’s good to see that you have grasped the knowledge of editing software’s and utilized the time. For me, the Lightroom and Photoshop was the good thing that happened during Quarantine. I also used Stellar Photo Repair software to fix my corrupt and distorted images, form my rookie photography days.

nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,122
Helped

Easier to get hotel reservations, fewer people on the road. We actually traveled more than usual. Got many unusual opportunities like an empty Las Vegas strip.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Halina123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

April 2020.  Middle of the afternoon and  the empty ring road,  people are still taking the lockdown seriously.

Normally trying to cross here is like suicide, it's almost like a racetrack.

DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 4,458

brucet wrote:

Simple question - Has the pandemic and lockdowns/restrictions helped or hindered your photography?

Neither. Existing plans continued unabated.  I’m still me once I pick up a camera mask or no mask. I do not shoot in bad weather so I just write it off as an extended period of bad weather which has passed and I am back up to speed.

The “pandemic“ had a great impact on the business and scouting because I can’t tell who’s competitive when everyone’s got a mask on  and many of the events that I scout at  were all canceled from March 2020  forward .

-- hide signature --

dw

OldSchoolNewSchool Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

mujana wrote:

brucet wrote:

Simple question - Has the pandemic and lockdowns/restrictions helped or hindered your photography?

For me it's less use of the camera but more use of the software and editing I've done while at home. Maybe the silver lining, for me at least, is a better understanding of the editing software I have.

Helped and hindered.

Almost no portrat shooting and traveling anymore, but I bought a macro lens and discovered a smaller world.

I continued taking pictures, but at about half the volume as pre-pandemic.  I, too, picked up a nice used macro lens and have had a lot of fun with it.

-- hide signature --

My state of confusion has turned into a circle of confusion.

OldSchoolNewSchool's gear list:OldSchoolNewSchool's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 70D Olympus E-M1 Canon EOS 5DS Canon 6D Mark II +14 more
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 6,129

brucet wrote:

For me it's less use of the camera but more use of the software and editing I've done while at home. Maybe the silver lining, for me at least, is a better understanding of the editing software I have.

Major hindrence.

I cancelled all of our scheduled travel; anything involving planes, trains, or boats, as well as big cities.  Been rescheduling driving trips to rural areas, but it's been a very costly setback.

Cancelled all of the weddings and events (if they weren't already cancelled).  I've shot just one wedding since the beginning of 2020.

I've done one studio portrait session since the beginning of 2020.

I have no idea when or if I'll be back to shooting on contract.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M5 III +16 more
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,663

Pandemic-induced photography. I have more of those, here's just a few selected ones

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Bobthearch
Bobthearch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,362

My work travel came to a screeching halt, in fact I lost my job because the company closed.  Out of a job, money for gas and travel became scarce.  Local photogenic events were canceled.  And I lost motivation to shoot local.

So yeah, you could say I was negatively impacted. 

But at the same time, some unique opportunities arose, photos that could be of local historic importance.

Drive-In Easter Sunday, simulcast on the local radio station.

The public library couldn't be open, but the wi-fi was an invaluable service to many.

And of course who could survive a pandemic lockdown without a new puppy? 

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
Toronto Photography
Toronto Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,052

john isaacs wrote:

brucet wrote:

Major hindrence.

I cancelled all of our scheduled travel; anything involving planes, trains, or boats, as well as big cities. Been rescheduling driving trips to rural areas, but it's been a very costly setback.

Cancelled all of the weddings and events (if they weren't already cancelled). I've shot just one wedding since the beginning of 2020.

I've done one studio portrait session since the beginning of 2020.

I have no idea when or if I'll be back to shooting on contract.

Personally I think the economy well be massively changed - it is right not at least. Spending patters are much different. Have yet to adapt.  If things where well would have bought a replacement camera for two of my broken cameras, now I am holding off.

Toronto Photography's gear list:Toronto Photography's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
ahinesdesign Regular Member • Posts: 210

brucet wrote:

Changed my photography to a certain extent, but I shot more than ever (and had more images published than ever) so I suppose it helped.

We never had any kind of lockdown here, only "encouragement" to stay home and minimal restrictions on "non-essential" businesses for a few months, otherwise free to go anywhere one wanted. Most public events were canceled, much to the public's disappointment/anger, but everything else was essentially fair game.

I work for a municipal government, and my day-to-day photography work increased considerably as we made a big push to communicate to citizens. I documented many public infrastructure projects, construction projects, and public safety operations that never slowed down. Sports, events, public meetings, and most anything else newsworthy that required people to gather were canceled for 2020 and 2021, however everything is back in full swing now.

I got to photograph many things I would not get the chance to shoot under normal circumstances, including protests, civil unrest, Confederate statue removal, COVID testing, COVID vaccinations, and much more.

On the freelance side, architecture jobs never slowed down (since most construction never stopped). I also had time to photograph a long-term documentary project on local agriculture that I had been trying to pursue for years.

Photography during the pandemic has not been without risk; in June (2020) I suffered a severe concussion at a protest, then in 2021 battled COVID and complications for two months...

Toronto Photography
Toronto Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,052

ahinesdesign wrote:

brucet wrote:

Changed my photography to a certain extent, but I shot more than ever (and had more images published than ever) so I suppose it helped.

We never had any kind of lockdown here, only "encouragement" to stay home and minimal restrictions on "non-essential" businesses for a few months, otherwise free to go anywhere one wanted. Most public events were canceled, much to the public's disappointment/anger, but everything else was essentially fair game.

I work for a municipal government, and my day-to-day photography work increased considerably as we made a big push to communicate to citizens. I documented many public infrastructure projects, construction projects, and public safety operations that never slowed down. Sports, events, public meetings, and most anything else newsworthy that required people to gather were canceled for 2020 and 2021, however everything is back in full swing now.

I got to photograph many things I would not get the chance to shoot under normal circumstances, including protests, civil unrest, Confederate statue removal, COVID testing, COVID vaccinations, and much more.

On the freelance side, architecture jobs never slowed down (since most construction never stopped). I also had time to photograph a long-term documentary project on local agriculture that I had been trying to pursue for years.

Photography during the pandemic has not been without risk; in June (2020) I suffered a severe concussion at a protest, then in 2021 battled COVID and complications for two months...

What gear do you usefor your architecture, any use of the tilt shift lens in particular?

Toronto Photography's gear list:Toronto Photography's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
embie
embie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,162
Re: I found a new subject...

eMBie

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +1 more
ahinesdesign Regular Member • Posts: 210

Toronto Photography wrote:

What gear do you usefor your architecture, any use of the tilt shift lens in particular?

I use everything from 14mm to 200mm (mostly f/2.8 zooms, but have used slower zooms too). A tilt-shift (or just shift) lens would significantly reduce the need to perform perspective correction in post, however I would greatly miss the flexibility of zooms.

If I were to do architecture full time I’d want to invest in a collection of tilt-shift lenses or a Cambo technical rig; for the occasional freelance job it doesn’t make economic sense.

jaggedhorizon Senior Member • Posts: 2,785

It changed what I photographed but overall it affected me positively:

During the first lockdown I participated in a daily challenge with photographer friends, over almost two months. One of my photos won the overall prize (we were allowed to go out to exercise and I was on a bike close to home so not breaking any rules):

Visit the European Parliament (but not right now)

but I actually had more fun photographing around the house, see here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4538927

I had an exhibition and several of the photos were taken locally in Belgium during the pandemic:

And I got a nomination in a global photo competition for a street series in which I focused on masks rather than being annoyed by them:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4570733

-- hide signature --

http://cedricpopa.zenfolio.com/
https://1x.com/member/cedricpopp
You are welcome to reprocess my photos for discussion and posting on DPR. (Please don't use them elsewhere without letting me know first).

jaggedhorizon's gear list:jaggedhorizon's gear list
Sony a7R III
Halina123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

I visited my grandmother yesterday, first visit since this pandemic began.  Not a living soul in sight.

HRC2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,496

Halina123 wrote:

I visited my grandmother yesterday, first visit since this pandemic began. Not a living soul in sight.

Six feet for social distancing. Graves are six-feet deep. Coincidence?

-- hide signature --

Satan loves the shadows - and the highlights.

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads