In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,877
Re: In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro
1

Blind Bill wrote:

I have the Breakthrough X4 ND's (3 and 6 stop) which I have used alone and stacked with some success. I wish Breakthrough would get their magnetic filters mounts out because I am interested in them. I've read some good things about the Kase magnetic group and, except for their cost, would be happy to try them out.

Same here.  But for now I probably have to just deal with their screw-in filters (which I'm pleased with the 10-stop I got from them).  No bad color casts (once corrected) and very sharp as far as I can tell.  I'm going to order their  CPL next.  I'm still going to ask them about some sort of trade-in when ever they do get their new magnetic system up and running.  I mean I know that stuff takes time, but they had a previous magnetic system but they pulled it from the market (I think can you probably buy them used) but I don't know why they didn't just continue selling it until the new updated system was available...?

 sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +11 more
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,197
Re: In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

Blind Bill wrote:

I have the Breakthrough X4 ND's (3 and 6 stop) which I have used alone and stacked with some success. I wish Breakthrough would get their magnetic filters mounts out because I am interested in them. I've read some good things about the Kase magnetic group and, except for their cost, would be happy to try them out.

I was told, because I live in sunny AZ, that I need the 6 stop X4 CPL. Even though in the past I used the regular X4 CPL and other CPL's with success.

OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,877
Re: In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

AZheaven wrote:

Blind Bill wrote:

I have the Breakthrough X4 ND's (3 and 6 stop) which I have used alone and stacked with some success. I wish Breakthrough would get their magnetic filters mounts out because I am interested in them. I've read some good things about the Kase magnetic group and, except for their cost, would be happy to try them out.

I was told, because I live in sunny AZ, that I need the 6 stop X4 CPL. Even though in the past I used the regular X4 CPL and other CPL's with success.

I think the "X4" for Breakthrough is not a power-rating (could be) but I thought it was more quality-related and more or less a segment within their filter lines to differentiate the "cheaper" filters from the more expensive filters (sort of how most companies have at least two different levels of filters -- from a price/quality standpoint).

But people have recommended the X4's to me as well, which is the one  I think I personally will get.  I think they do run a bit darker (at least my 10-stop ND does) by a little (in my case about 1/2 stop so it's really like 10.5 stops).

 sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +11 more
Shinyschnapper
Shinyschnapper Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro
2

I use the Kase magnetic filters and have no issues with them.  However, one thing to think about is where you say you want to use lens hoods with them.  My biggest lens is 77mm diameter so I got the filters in that size and step up rings for my other lenses.  I can't use any lens hoods because they won't fit over the step up rings (for instance my 72mm telephoto lens hood won't fit over the 77mm step up ring).

Also I can't use the lens hood on my 77mm lens if I want to use the polariser as there is no way of getting my fingers inside to turn the polariser.  Plus with the magnetic adapter its a very tight fit for the hood.

When using filters I just don't use a lens hood.  Just something to think about.

-- hide signature --

Stewie Griffin for President

 Shinyschnapper's gear list:Shinyschnapper's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +1 more
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,197
Re: In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

Shinyschnapper wrote:

I use the Kase magnetic filters and have no issues with them. However, one thing to think about is where you say you want to use lens hoods with them. My biggest lens is 77mm diameter so I got the filters in that size and step up rings for my other lenses. I can't use any lens hoods because they won't fit over the step up rings (for instance my 72mm telephoto lens hood won't fit over the 77mm step up ring).

Also I can't use the lens hood on my 77mm lens if I want to use the polariser as there is no way of getting my fingers inside to turn the polariser. Plus with the magnetic adapter its a very tight fit for the hood.

When using filters I just don't use a lens hood. Just something to think about.

I know what you mean with the lens hood not going on the lens with a filter attached. And being that Sony has a door on the 100-400, I wonder why they don't on any other lens that is wider like my walk around lens the 24-105 f4. Which at the moment is my one and only landscape lens.

Shinyschnapper
Shinyschnapper Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

AZheaven wrote:

Shinyschnapper wrote:

I use the Kase magnetic filters and have no issues with them. However, one thing to think about is where you say you want to use lens hoods with them. My biggest lens is 77mm diameter so I got the filters in that size and step up rings for my other lenses. I can't use any lens hoods because they won't fit over the step up rings (for instance my 72mm telephoto lens hood won't fit over the 77mm step up ring).

Also I can't use the lens hood on my 77mm lens if I want to use the polariser as there is no way of getting my fingers inside to turn the polariser. Plus with the magnetic adapter its a very tight fit for the hood.

When using filters I just don't use a lens hood. Just something to think about.

I know what you mean with the lens hood not going on the lens with a filter attached. And being that Sony has a door on the 100-400, I wonder why they don't on any other lens that is wider like my walk around lens the 24-105 f4. Which at the moment is my one and only landscape lens.

My Fuji 50-140 (70-200) has a door on the hood but it still won't work with the polariser as you can't put the hood on with the step up ring.  All in all its not a big issue as if I was getting some flare I would use my hand to shade the lens.

-- hide signature --

Stewie Griffin for President

 Shinyschnapper's gear list:Shinyschnapper's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +1 more
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 11,742
Re: Dremel?

I recall vaguely another lens review reading that the hood had a small opening on the bottom to allow finger to filter contact for turning a polarizer.  Perhaps one of the early 150-600s?  The longer lenses usually have deeper hoods making access from the front opening more awkward.

I thought about using a Dremel tool, or similar, to cut a slot in at the bottom of a hood.  I wouldn't expect much stray light from below but gluing a strip of inner tube rubber to cover would be flexible, allow access and the curve to the site should do a good job with returning the flap to covering the slot well.  And it's a dark if not black not very reflective material, too.

Haven't done it to any hoods, though.  Until my new 200-600, hasn't been needed.  and I don't have a cpl for it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads