In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,572
In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

Has anyone used both of these brands that could offer some insight? I'm looking specifically at a 3-stop and 10-stop ND as well as a CPL.

The one thing I like about the Kase filters is the magnetic system (Breakthrough supposedly had a magnetic system, but have stopped selling it, and are working on a new system but haven't seen any updates in the past several months).

For Breakthrough, I've noticed their X4 filters (when compared to many other brands like Hoya, B+W and others) to be the most neutral, although since I shoot RAW slight color casts aren't a big deal as I can fix them in post (mostly concerned with sharpness and image quality as well as flare).

For PolarPro I think many reviews placed these at about the same quality as Breakthrough, same with Nisi.

I am looking to get round filters that I can use with the lens hoods (I tried square filters but would prefer to use a system that lets me stock them -- both brands I mentioned here allow stacking -- and use the lens hoods too to further reduce flare and help with contrast.

I've found plenty of videos online comparing Breakthrough with others, and read numerous reviews on Kase, but haven't found a comparison between the two brands specifically so that's what I'm mostly interesterd.  I am likely going to pick one from these four brands mentioned though, and am leaning more towards Kase or Breakthrough.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z6 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +11 more
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 5,420
Re: In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

Splitting hairs at this point based on the manufacturers you are considering.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 5,035
Re: In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

Hi, I can offer a view on the Breakthrough photography CPol X4, but not the others, as a I have a 77mm copy for a Fuji 16-55/f2.8 lens.

I am happy that there is no discernible shift in colour nor reduction on image quality with it.

Not a very scientific reply, I know.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +6 more
OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,572

jhorse wrote:

Hi, I can offer a view on the Breakthrough photography CPol X4, but not the others, as a I have a 77mm copy for a Fuji 16-55/f2.8 lens.

I am happy that there is no discernible shift in colour nor reduction on image quality with it.

Not a very scientific reply, I know.

No that's fine.  I actually dislike it when people write a whole essay on the reasoning behind certain optical things to be honest.  Yeah I've heard a lot of good stuff about Breakthrough's stuff (although many have said to spend more and get the X4' stuff and not the X2's).

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,915

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Has anyone used both of these brands that could offer some insight? I'm looking specifically at a 3-stop and 10-stop ND as well as a CPL.

The one thing I like about the Kase filters is the magnetic system (Breakthrough supposedly had a magnetic system, but have stopped selling it, and are working on a new system but haven't seen any updates in the past several months).

For Breakthrough, I've noticed their X4 filters (when compared to many other brands like Hoya, B+W and others) to be the most neutral, although since I shoot RAW slight color casts aren't a big deal as I can fix them in post (mostly concerned with sharpness and image quality as well as flare).

For PolarPro I think many reviews placed these at about the same quality as Breakthrough, same with Nisi.

I am looking to get round filters that I can use with the lens hoods (I tried square filters but would prefer to use a system that lets me stock them -- both brands I mentioned here allow stacking -- and use the lens hoods too to further reduce flare and help with contrast.

I've found plenty of videos online comparing Breakthrough with others, and read numerous reviews on Kase, but haven't found a comparison between the two brands specifically so that's what I'm mostly interesterd. I am likely going to pick one from these four brands mentioned though, and am leaning more towards Kase or Breakthrough.

I've been shopping ND filters and my research has led me to one not your list, Kolari. They just started on them (although they've been making all sorts of other filters for a while). Very neutral (not all area, and that matters more to some photographers than others). The reviews have ranked them better than the ones above. For me, they tick the other boxes re coatings, thinness, and since they're made of Gorilla glass, durability. And a lifetime warranty. https://kolarivision.com/product/kolari-pro-irnd-filter/

As tested against the others: https://dominey.blog/2020/10/11/review-kolari-vision-neutral-density-filter/

And also here: https://youtu.be/P99pAjCEsi8

Not cheapest, but again whether that is worth it depends on your needs for color accuracy.

I wouldn't have found them except I've bought others from them; great customer support. Pretty much only available through them (recently a clip filter for a Canon RP) and a few other places.

Platographer Contributing Member • Posts: 730

I have the PolarPro Summit system. I like it because the design allows you to handle the filters without getting fingerprints on them and does a good job blocking light leak. The Wine Country system also seems to have a similar design, but most systems do not. Unfortunately, the Summit system only has two slots, which can be a bummer if you want to use a GND and two NDs. Also, several of my brand new PolarPro filters came with scratches and/or smudges, though this has been more of an issue with their round filters.

With all of that said, I just ordered the Freewell Magnetic ND Filter System because it will greatly reduce the space my ND filters take up and the time it takes me to set my filters up in the field. I have not used them yet, but I wish I bought them instead of the PolarPro Summit system, which is great, but bulky like any square filter system is. If you want magnetic filters, the Freewell system may be worth a try.

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I've found plenty of videos online comparing Breakthrough with others, and read numerous reviews on Kase, but haven't found a comparison between the two brands specifically so that's what I'm mostly interesterd. I am likely going to pick one from these four brands mentioned though, and am leaning more towards Kase or Breakthrough.

I've been shopping ND filters and my research has led me to one not your list, Kolari. They just started on them (although they've been making all sorts of other filters for a while). Very neutral (not all area, and that matters more to some photographers than others). The reviews have ranked them better than the ones above. For me, they tick the other boxes re coatings, thinness, and since they're made of Gorilla glass, durability. And a lifetime warranty. https://kolarivision.com/product/kolari-pro-irnd-filter/

As tested against the others: https://dominey.blog/2020/10/11/review-kolari-vision-neutral-density-filter/

Not cheapest, but again whether that is worth it depends on your needs for color accuracy.

I wouldn't have found them except I've bought others from them; great customer support. Pretty much only available through them (recently a clip filter for a Canon RP) and a few other places.

Thanks.  I think I did look at those and will look at them again.  Color accuracy, to me, is important, but comes about 3rd on the list of essentials, behind sharpness and flare control to be honest).

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Thanks. I think I did look at those and will look at them again. Color accuracy, to me, is important, but comes about 3rd on the list of essentials, behind sharpness and flare control to be honest).

Yeah, I guess I feel sharpness should be a given with filters in that price range. The reviewer in the second video did give the nod to the Kolari in that regard over the Freewell etc, but even second place seemed doable. And all had some flare at some point; it was pretty close. I stack them at times, so thinness matters too. But again, it seems they all were pretty thin. Good luck in the search.

Bing Chow Senior Member • Posts: 2,518

Platographer wrote:

With all of that said, I just ordered the Freewell Magnetic ND Filter System because it will greatly reduce the space my ND filters take up and the time it takes me to set my filters up in the field. I have not used them yet, but I wish I bought them instead of the PolarPro Summit system, which is great, but bulky like any square filter system is. If you want magnetic filters, the Freewell system may be worth a try.

I just ordered Freewell's upcoming Magnetic Variable ND system on Indiegogo. It's got variable NDs, CPL, CPL + ND, mist and more. I wasn't looking for variable NDs specifically but I was looking to switch to a magnetic system. None of the existing offerings from Freewell, Kase, or K&F checked all of my boxes. Until this one...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-s-1st-versatile-magnetic-vnd-camera-filter/x/14463669#/

Just thought I mention it in case the OP wants to take a look. I agree with the others that all the names the OP listed and in addition, Freewell, should not have an issue with sharpness reduction, even when stacking. As far as color cast goes, each brand will have their own slight tint. Easily correctable with software.

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Thanks. I think I did look at those and will look at them again. Color accuracy, to me, is important, but comes about 3rd on the list of essentials, behind sharpness and flare control to be honest).

Yeah, I guess I feel sharpness should be a given with filters in that price range. The reviewer in the second video did give the nod to the Kolari in that regard over the Freewell etc, but even second place seemed doable. And all had some flare at some point; it was pretty close. I stack them at times, so thinness matters too. But again, it seems they all were pretty thin. Good luck in the search.

Yeah I haven't looked through the video yet, but did find this a bit useful as a comparison:

https://www.mathieu.photography/Articles/IR-Neutral-Density-Filters

However, their site seems a bit confusing.  When I select ND, I see that they tag their ND filters under "IR ND" which makes me thing the ND's are for IR uses, and not regular visible light.... unless I'm missing something.  It looks like most of their filters are related to IR, which I think is their primary core business (IR camera conversions).

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

The Wes Perry video review worries me. A noticeable loss of sharpness on a 24MP sensor with an AA filter should not happen. The Todd Dominey video indicates that there is no sharpness issue with the Freewell filters. I am not going to cancel my order. Hopefully, there is some other explanation for what Wes Perry experienced. I have a Sony A7Riv, so resolution is paramount. I think I will be happy with the Freewell filters.

Platographer wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

The Wes Perry video review worries me. A noticeable loss of sharpness on a 24MP sensor with an AA filter should not happen. The Todd Dominey video indicates that there is no sharpness issue with the Freewell filters. I am not going to cancel my order. Hopefully, there is some other explanation for what Wes Perry experienced. I have a Sony A7Riv, so resolution is paramount. I think I will be happy with the Freewell filters.

I agree; it seemed a bit subjective. And even if there is a difference, it might be down to some other variable. Not exactly a rigorous test, and might have come out the other way. And I imagine they've got good customer support, another given with the higher end filters, and so if one gets a dud just replace it. It happens, but odds are it'll be fine.

Bing Chow wrote:

Platographer wrote:

I just ordered Freewell's upcoming Magnetic Variable ND system on Indiegogo. It's got variable NDs, CPL, CPL + ND, mist and more. I wasn't looking for variable NDs specifically but I was looking to switch to a magnetic system. None of the existing offerings from Freewell, Kase, or K&F checked all of my boxes. Until this one...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-s-1st-versatile-magnetic-vnd-camera-filter/x/14463669#/

Just thought I mention it in case the OP wants to take a look. I agree with the others that all the names the OP listed and in addition, Freewell, should not have an issue with sharpness reduction, even when stacking. As far as color cast goes, each brand will have their own slight tint. Easily correctable with software.

Yeah I'd consider them but I need something in the next few weeks for an upcoming trip, so these would automatically be off the table (they say they'll start shipping in September, which would be too late for me).

Bing Chow Senior Member • Posts: 2,518

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Yeah I'd consider them but I need something in the next few weeks for an upcoming trip, so these would automatically be off the table (they say they'll start shipping in September, which would be too late for me).

One bonus is the current Freewell magnetics are compatible with that new holder, assuming the diameter is the same of course. If the new system interests you in the future, your existing filters may be duplicated but not entirely useless. I thought that was nice of them to build in backwards compatibility.

Bing Chow wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

One bonus is the current Freewell magnetics are compatible with that new holder, assuming the diameter is the same of course. If the new system interests you in the future, your existing filters may be duplicated but not entirely useless. I thought that was nice of them to build in backwards compatibility.

Yes, this is very nice. I wish I got Freewell magnetic filters in the first place. I live in a boring part of the U.S., so my photography excursions tend to involve flying. The amount of space the Freewell system will save me over the PolarPro Summit system is enough for an additional lens and it will greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to set up in the field. I'm very excited.

robgendreau wrote:

Platographer wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I agree; it seemed a bit subjective. And even if there is a difference, it might be down to some other variable. Not exactly a rigorous test, and might have come out the other way. And I imagine they've got good customer support, another given with the higher end filters, and so if one gets a dud just replace it. It happens, but odds are it'll be fine.

Exactly. When I test something like this, I would take multiple shots for each filter, refocusing at least three times with back button AF and then a few with manual focus so that focus or some other anomaly can be ruled out. I would do a lot of comparisons. If one filter was softer in all shots then you know there's a problem. If the results are mixed, time for more testing. Maybe that's what he did, but it's not clear from the video.

AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,084

I like the Breakthrough filters. But honestly I've used only the X4 CPL. I stupidly returned it thinking they would soon release a magnetic filter. Brass, which they use in the X4 is obviously not magnetic! Now those filters are backordered and have been for quite a while now sad to say. I would buy one again as soon as they come back in stock. Excellent return policy (300 days) and guarantee/warranty (25 years).

AZheaven wrote:

I like the Breakthrough filters. But honestly I've used only the X4 CPL. I stupidly returned it thinking they would soon release a magnetic filter. Brass, which they use in the X4 is obviously not magnetic! Now those filters are backordered and have been for quite a while now sad to say. I would buy one again as soon as they come back in stock. Excellent return policy (300 days) and guarantee/warranty (25 years).

Yeah I got their x4 10-stop ND.  It's actaully qutie good.

I too was going to wait for the new magnetic filters but someone told me that they've had that "announcement" for several months (at least the past 3, that I can recall when I started looking into this, with no real word from them).  So  I just broke down and bought screw-in filters. I mean idea of magnetic filters is nice, but at the same time, I don't use filters all the time on every trip, so I can probably tolerate the few seconds it takes to screw them on/off.  Plus at least with screw-in ones you don't have to worry about them popping off during transport (I sometimes attach the filters to the lenses when they are in my rolling carry-on bag).

AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,084

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

AZheaven wrote:

Yeah I got their x4 10-stop ND. It's actaully qutie good.

I too was going to wait for the new magnetic filters but someone told me that they've had that "announcement" for several months (at least the past 3, that I can recall when I started looking into this, with no real word from them). So I just broke down and bought screw-in filters. I mean idea of magnetic filters is nice, but at the same time, I don't use filters all the time on every trip, so I can probably tolerate the few seconds it takes to screw them on/off. Plus at least with screw-in ones you don't have to worry about them popping off during transport (I sometimes attach the filters to the lenses when they are in my rolling carry-on bag).

I actually liked the idea of this. But are they the best option? I know when I was in Monument Valley I could have used this!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1556717-REG/uurig_1566_rfs_58mm_rapid_filter.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5pCMso6G8gIVk8mUCR2wgAt1EAQYASABEgImB_D_BwE

AZheaven wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

AZheaven wrote:

Yeah I got their x4 10-stop ND. It's actaully qutie good.

I too was going to wait for the new magnetic filters but someone told me that they've had that "announcement" for several months (at least the past 3, that I can recall when I started looking into this, with no real word from them). So I just broke down and bought screw-in filters. I mean idea of magnetic filters is nice, but at the same time, I don't use filters all the time on every trip, so I can probably tolerate the few seconds it takes to screw them on/off. Plus at least with screw-in ones you don't have to worry about them popping off during transport (I sometimes attach the filters to the lenses when they are in my rolling carry-on bag).

I actually liked the idea of this. But are they the best option? I know when I was in Monument Valley I could have used this!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1556717-REG/uurig_1566_rfs_58mm_rapid_filter.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5pCMso6G8gIVk8mUCR2wgAt1EAQYASABEgImB_D_BwE

I hope that maybe they could announce something within the next 300 days, which is how long I have to return the X4 (according to their website) for refund for credit I would assume.  What would be even better is if they had a magnetic ring that would let me use the existing filter I already purchased.  I was mainly hoping for the magnetic system for stacking two filters, but again, adding a second filter (threading it by hand) is not that big of a deal and it also ensures it won't pop off accidentally I guess.

Blind Bill
Blind Bill Senior Member • Posts: 1,192

I have the Breakthrough X4 ND's (3 and 6 stop) which I have used alone and stacked with some success.  I wish Breakthrough would get their magnetic filters mounts out because I am interested in them.  I've read some good things about the Kase magnetic group and, except for their cost, would be happy to try them out.

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Milvus 15mm F2.8 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads