looking at grass seed

Started 3 months ago | Photos
macrouser
macrouser Senior Member • Posts: 2,703
looking at grass seed

The sun had not risen yet but there was enough light to see color.  It was 13 C degrees and the wind was starting to blow.  I was using my camera to see what I could find on the grass seed.

I think it is still a nymph because there are no wings.

It is more likely to be a katydid than a grasshopper.  The very long antenna make me think that.

This really shows the very long antenna.

Having found one makes it easier to find another one.  This one is slightly green.

This looks like a pupa or cocoon.   I think it may be one of the butterflies with blue on top of the wing.

It looks like it may still have an insect in it that is just emerging today.  I have taken it indoors to see what comes out.

I am not sure if I have found seed or eggs.

They look wrong for the seed pod that this plant makes.  The seed may have come out and be ready to be scattered.

I like mystery but I don't like not knowing for too long.

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
Mikel10
Mikel10 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,974
Re: looking at grass seed

Very nice macro images. Always enjoy your accompanying narrative. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Mike

Mikel10's gear list:Mikel10's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro Fujifilm GF 250mm F4
Red Barchetta
Red Barchetta Senior Member • Posts: 4,368

Nice find and set, Mac. Interesting lil dude.

Red Barchetta's gear list:Red Barchetta's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,174

macrouser wrote:

The sun had not risen yet but there was enough light to see color. It was 13 C degrees and the wind was starting to blow. I was using my camera to see what I could find on the grass seed.

I think it is still a nymph because there are no wings.

It is more likely to be a katydid than a grasshopper. The very long antenna make me think that.

This really shows the very long antenna.

Having found one makes it easier to find another one. This one is slightly green.

This looks like a pupa or cocoon. I think it may be one of the butterflies with blue on top of the wing.

It looks like it may still have an insect in it that is just emerging today. I have taken it indoors to see what comes out.

I am not sure if I have found seed or eggs.

They look wrong for the seed pod that this plant makes. The seed may have come out and be ready to be scattered.

I like mystery but I don't like not knowing for too long.

Interesting shots!

-M

Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads