Mark on the rear element. fungus? affects the image?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
desoho Junior Member • Posts: 36
Mark on the rear element. fungus? affects the image?

Hi, I bought a 40 year old Nikon AIS lens on eBay, which was still in the original box with original silicone gels.

The lens looks unused but there's a mark on the rear element. (which wasn't described or pictured by the seller) It's shiny in the day-light but under a flash light it look different. (see the pictures)

I also see some spots on the front lens that I'm not sure if it is dirt or something else.

Do you think the mark is fungus?

Since it's not close to the center of the rear element, would it affect the image? I want to use it with film camera so full frame.

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 5,842
Re: Mark on the rear element. fungus? affects the image?

desoho wrote:

Hi, I bought a 40 year old Nikon AIS lens on eBay, which was still in the original box with original silicone gels.

The lens looks unused but there's a mark on the rear element. (which wasn't described or pictured by the seller) It's shiny in the day-light but under a flash light it look different. (see the pictures)

I also see some spots on the front lens that I'm not sure if it is dirt or something else.

Since it's not close to the center of the rear element, would it affect the image? I want to use it with film camera so full frame.

Thanks

IMHO - you have 2 options:- (1) Return (2) Tell the seller, get an estimate (CLA)  and agree with the seller for reimbursement.. L

-- hide signature --

Everyday is a Challenge. I Meet It Head On..

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +10 more
OP desoho Junior Member • Posts: 36

Thanks for replying.

My questions are:

"1- Do you think this mark is fungus?

2-Since it's not on the center of the rear element, would it still affect the image? I want to use it with film camera so full frame."

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 15,667

desoho wrote:

Thanks for replying.

My questions are:

"1- Do you think this mark is fungus?

2-Since it's not on the center of the rear element, would it still affect the image? I want to use it with film camera so full frame."

1) I think that it is separation not fungus.

2) no , I don't think that it will make any difference.

Thanks.

From what I see it's on the outer surface of the element. I can see the bump. Can it be a separation on the outer surface? or the separation usually happens between the elements which are cemented?

Is there anyway that I can make sure if it is fungus to not?

After using ammonia+hydrogen peroxide I made sure that it was fungus and I was able to remove it from the lens bit unfortunately the fungus had damaged the coatings.

Bobthearch
Bobthearch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,296

desoho wrote:

Since it's not close to the center of the rear element, would it affect the image?

Hard to believe you didn't get more replies when you first posted.

Yes, it looks just like fungus.

It not only eats away the lens coating, but can etch the glass too.  Yes, it can cause defects in the photos, especially if a light source is shining on the lens.

But worse than that, it can spread into the camera and then to your other lenses.

The seller is at fault for not inspecting for or disclosing the fungus.  You should have returned it for a refund before cleaning the lens.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads