Wedding Photographer and Raw

Started 5 months ago | Questions
InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 1,698
Re: Good Wedding Prints Bring New Customers

mandm wrote:

InkedMarie; so you didn't like my comment of “Low end weddings”; the low end is where the B&G think paying $250. for 2 to 3 hours of work is too much, all they want is a few photos and the SD card when the photographer leaves. Good news is there are plenty of people with cameras who will shoot it for some extra cash and that's fine.

Ok that makes me feel a little better. Granted, I got married in 1981; we had 42 people at the wedding but the photographer was hands down the most important thing after my dress lol. I believe I took your comment wrong. I thought you were insinuating that small weddings aren’t as important as large ones that go on for days.

We’re going on 40yrs in November so I’d say spending whatever we did was a waste. I think we spent $1500

Marie

InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
mandm Contributing Member • Posts: 971

I should have used 'budget weddings' as I understand many can't afford a full time working pro and that's where all the photography hobbyists with thousands of $$$ of equipment come in, many know how to use their equipment and can produce good results for the B&G.

My 1st wedding was a 2nd wedding for a relative in 1970, I was still in high school and had a Nikon F, I was paid $50. (that $360. today), I gave them the undeveloped film. 2nd wedding was a neighbor who was at the 1st wedding, they paid me $100. and again I gave them the undeveloped film.

I liked doing wedding and made a business out of it. I understand that many could not afford my companies services, but there are enough that will pay thousands for 2 or 3 days of coverage with 2 or 3 photographers.

-- hide signature --

mandmp; 100% of my income since 1972 has been due to a camera in my hand. My hobby turned into an enjoyable & profitable career. Retired in 2008ish I now shoot for fun and for charities (for free).

mandm's gear list:mandm's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +10 more
techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,087
Re: Wedding Photographer and Raw

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Is it normal wedding photographer haven't give Raw files to their clients ?

Thank

It is normal for your default contract and pricing to offer only a fixed number of curated/edited exports. Depending on your skill or workflow, SOOC images may not always represent your business in the best way if the customer printed/posted them.

That said, it is not uncommon for some customers to ask for all the images in their original format so they can edit/reprint as necessary. Some photographers want customers to keep coming back to pay for additional edits/prints over time and do not allow for this.

It is also common to offer original files (after you cull technical fail images) at some price agreed to in advance. I have heard of some photographers including contract language that any customer-edited photo should not be linked back to the photographer without approval first.

It should also be noted that your contract should clarify that any image provided comes with a "license" for them to "use" in your approved manner, but they don't own the rights to modify or re-sell those images. This is another option for upsell, you can decide if you would like to offer to sell the rights in full.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VA +21 more
InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

Our photographer was a full time pro. He did our engagement pictures, wedding (from my house to the church to the reception) then did family photos. Just because we had a very small wedding doesn’t mean we didn’t want professional photos!

Marie

InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 51,819

mandm wrote:

InkedMarie; so you didn't like my comment of “Low end weddings”; the low end is where the B&G think paying $250. for 2 to 3 hours of work is too much, all they want is a few photos and the SD card when the photographer leaves. Good news is there are plenty of people with cameras who will shoot it for some extra cash and that's fine.

$250 is an extreme example of "too much". Anybody would be extremely happy to get a photographer that cheap.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass

InkedMarie wrote:

We’re going on 40yrs in November so I’d say spending whatever we did was a waste. I think we spent $1500

Marie

I agree. After being married for a long time I believe most common people think the money they spent on the wedding was a waste. Once the euphoria wears off after a year or two the wedding just doesn't seem to matter anymore. I would recommend to any people getting married to keep it cheap and small, not that they would listen.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass

mandm wrote:

I should have used 'budget weddings' as I understand many can't afford a full time working pro and that's where all the photography hobbyists with thousands of $$$ of equipment come in, many know how to use their equipment and can produce good results for the B&G.

My 1st wedding was a 2nd wedding for a relative in 1970, I was still in high school and had a Nikon F, I was paid $50. (that $360. today), I gave them the undeveloped film. 2nd wedding was a neighbor who was at the 1st wedding, they paid me $100. and again I gave them the undeveloped film.

I liked doing wedding and made a business out of it. I understand that many could not afford my companies services, but there are enough that will pay thousands for 2 or 3 days of coverage with 2 or 3 photographers.

I did a lot of weddings where it was in lieu of a wedding present. The couple was always happy with the results. I had to stop doing it because it got so it wasn't fun anymore.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 15,993

tbcass wrote:

mandm wrote:

$250 is an extreme example of "too much". Anybody would be extremely happy to get a photographer that cheap.

You be surprised at the number of people who think even $250.00  is too much. 
My experience is that the less people pay, the bigger PiTA clients they turn out to be.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
A working photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more

Ellis Vener wrote: "My experience is that the less people pay, the bigger PiTA clients they turn out to be."

I agree.

-- hide signature --

mandmp; 100% of my income since 1972 has been due to a camera in my hand. My hobby turned into an enjoyable & profitable career. Retired in 2008ish I now shoot for fun and for charities (for free).

Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +10 more
Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,201

mandm wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote: "My experience is that the less people pay, the bigger PiTA clients they turn out to be."

I agree.

I've done very little photography for pay (too little even to speak of) but I've done plenty of graphic design and my experience with that mirrors this sentiment exactly. If you do a project for a reduced fee or even something for a non-profit that you've agreed to do for free it more often than not ends up being much more complicated with less realistic expectations. it seems kind of counter to what one might expect, because if you give someone a deal on your services you might think that they'd be appreciative, but the folks with the least to spend are often tightest with it and expect more, no matter how good a deal they might be getting. They also don't tend to realize the kind of deal that they're getting as they're less likely to have experience hiring out these kind of services.

-- hide signature --
 Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Hoxton Bridge
Hoxton Bridge Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

If I were to do it, the fee would be enormous.

Why? As wedding costs go up people are more and more looking for lower fees from a wedding photographer. In this day and age, I think people care a lot less about professional photographs. If I was shopping for a wedding photographer I would insist that the RAW files be included at no extra cost or look elsewhere. It's a buyer's market.

Then you are not my client. Ferrari doesn't do TV ads and while I may not be Ferrari, I'm absolutely not interested in bargain hunters.

Then I suspect that as people become more cost-conscious in 10 years photographers like you will be looking for other jobs.

Could be. On the flip side, every time I raise my prices, I make more net income. It's almost like luxury services attract affluent clients who value things other than money.

In all honesty what value are the RAW photos to you? At the prices you wedding photographers charge giving the RAW photos to the client is the least you should do.

I doubt there are many consumers outside the hallowed threads of this forum that would know what to do with them. Giving a raw file is like a chef giving you the raw ingredients of a dinner you have just ordered.

-- hide signature --

“A picture is a secret about a secret, the more it tells you the less you know.”
- Diane Arbus

Hoxton Bridge's gear list:Hoxton Bridge's gear list
Leica M10 +1 more

Send the B&G 2000+ RAW images from Nikon or Canon's 45 MP cameras or Sony's 50 MP and expect a response that their computer locked up from all the data.

-- hide signature --

Hoxton Bridge

mandm wrote:

Send the B&G 2000+ RAW images from Nikon or Canon's 45 MP cameras or Sony's 50 MP and expect a response that their computer locked up from all the data.

Quite...

-- hide signature --

“A picture is a secret about a secret, the more it tells you the less you know.”
- Diane Arbus

Leica M10 +1 more
tbcass

Aaron801 wrote:

mandm wrote:

I agree.

I've done very little photography for pay (too little even to speak of) but I've done plenty of graphic design and my experience with that mirrors this sentiment exactly. If you do a project for a reduced fee or even something for a non-profit that you've agreed to do for free it more often than not ends up being much more complicated with less realistic expectations. it seems kind of counter to what one might expect, because if you give someone a deal on your services you might think that they'd be appreciative, but the folks with the least to spend are often tightest with it and expect more, no matter how good a deal they might be getting. They also don't tend to realize the kind of deal that they're getting as they're less likely to have experience hiring out these kind of services.

The last sentence explains it all. They don't know they are getting a good deal and they don't know what is generally expected and reasonable.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass

Hoxton Bridge wrote:

tbcass wrote:

In all honesty what value are the RAW photos to you? At the prices you wedding photographers charge giving the RAW photos to the client is the least you should do.

I doubt there are many consumers outside the hallowed threads of this forum that would know what to do with them. Giving a raw file is like a chef giving you the raw ingredients of a dinner you have just ordered.

The vast majority of consumers don't even know what RAW is, have a RAW editor, or know how to use one. The whole objection to giving out RAWs seems unfounded because almost nobody would even ask for them so how could it negatively affect their business? The only ones who would ask for RAWs would be another photographer so it should be a professional courtesy from one photographer to another.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Dreamscape Photo
Dreamscape Photo Regular Member • Posts: 385

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

No never unless, they ask for them. which ive done once for a shoot, as the photos where going to a second photographer for adding in a special effect for them

-- hide signature --

Just go out and shoot photos!!!!

Dreamscape Photo's gear list:Dreamscape Photo's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS M Canon PowerShot G5 Fujifilm FinePix S4200 Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR +12 more
Hoxton Bridge

tbcass wrote:

Hoxton Bridge wrote:

tbcass wrote:

The vast majority of consumers don't even know what RAW is, have a RAW editor, or know how to use one. The whole objection to giving out RAWs seems unfounded because almost nobody would even ask for them so how could it negatively affect their business? The only ones who would ask for RAWs would be another photographer so it should be a professional courtesy from one photographer to another.

I agree with that.

-- hide signature --

- Diane Arbus

Leica M10 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads