Wedding Photographer and Raw

Started 3 months ago | Questions
rainydiary Regular Member • Posts: 301
Wedding Photographer and Raw

Hi all

Is it normal wedding photographer haven't give Raw files to their clients ?

Thank

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
molibden Regular Member • Posts: 189
Re: Wedding Photographer and Raw

Raw files are given to the client only when the assignment calls for shooting raw, AND when this is agreed on in the contract. As such, it is not very common, especially in consumer-oriented (as opposed to industrial) practice.

Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,564

They tend to just give there best edited jpegs to maximise future shoots and word of mouth etc . 
 The raw files are just to insure the best jpegs are achieved.

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Huawei P30 Pro Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 +10 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,299

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

From my experience with wedding photographers I've known, it would be very uncommon unless the client insists on it and it's written in to the written agreement.  Typically the photographer wants to supply a finished product, and that would be the edited files (whether jpg, tiff, or other) and/or prints from said files.

InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 1,588

Heck when I got married in 1981 and our son got married in 2007, all we got were photos in an album!

Marie

InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
MOD Biggs23 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,256

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

No, it is not common whatsoever. If I were to do it, the fee would be enormous.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 51,273

Biggs23 wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

If I were to do it, the fee would be enormous.

Why? As wedding costs go up people are more and more looking for lower fees from a wedding photographer. In this day and age, I think people care a lot less about professional photographs. If I was shopping for a wedding photographer I would insist that the RAW files be included at no extra cost or look elsewhere. It's a buyer's market.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +8 more

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

Why? As wedding costs go up people are more and more looking for lower fees from a wedding photographer. In this day and age, I think people care a lot less about professional photographs. If I was shopping for a wedding photographer I would insist that the RAW files be included at no extra cost or look elsewhere. It's a buyer's market.

Then you are not my client. Ferrari doesn't do TV ads and while I may not be Ferrari, I'm absolutely not interested in bargain hunters.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.

Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
tbcass

Biggs23 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

Then you are not my client. Ferrari doesn't do TV ads and while I may not be Ferrari, I'm absolutely not interested in bargain hunters.

Then I suspect that as people become more cost-conscious in 10 years photographers like you will be looking for other jobs.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +8 more

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

Then I suspect that as people become more cost-conscious in 10 years photographers like you will be looking for other jobs.

Could be. On the flip side, every time I raise my prices, I make more net income. It's almost like luxury services attract affluent clients who value things other than money.

-- hide signature --

Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,965

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

Definitely not normal, though some do it, Most wedding clients would have no idea how to process a RAW file -- they might not even have a way to view them.

It is somewhat more common, especially in the low price market, to give camera JPEGs, but most wedding photographers I know prefer to deliver finished photos -- either prints, books, or processed JPEGs for social media.

FWIW, I give RAW files or camera JPEGs only to clients I trust will know how to process them -- which is mostly other professionals in photography or graphics. But then I don't shoot weddings.

Gato

-- hide signature --

Personal pictures, kitty cats, road trips, and rural nostalgia:
https://www.instagram.com/j.r.sprawls/

Biggs23 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

- snip -

Could be. On the flip side, every time I raise my prices, I make more net income. It's almost like luxury services attract affluent clients who value things other than money.

One of my mentors used to say there are two ways to die broke in photography -- price too high and you starve, price too low and you work yourself to death while you starve.

Sounds as if you have found the sweet spot.

The high end of the market can be very profitable for those who can sell it and deliver.

Gato

-- hide signature --

Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 4,677

InkedMarie wrote:

Heck when I got married in 1981 and our son got married in 2007, all we got were photos in an album!

We got married in 1994, and I went with the guy who took the pictures, gave us the proofs and the negs, and we had no more contact with him. That was perfect, because as the groom the one thing I couldn't do was take the pics, I could do everything else.

Another guy tried to persuade me that him keeping the negs was a service to me. (Not a service I was interested in.)

If I were to ever do that again, I'd be looking for someone who'd supply the originals (raw if that's what they shoot), and I'd be prepared to pay extra for that, and either copyright, or a licence to them.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,214

Gato Amarillo wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

Definitely not normal, though some do it, Most wedding clients would have no idea how to process a RAW file -- they might not even have a way to view them.

It is somewhat more common, especially in the low price market, to give camera JPEGs, but most wedding photographers I know prefer to deliver finished photos -- either prints, books, or processed JPEGs for social media.

FWIW, I give RAW files or camera JPEGs only to clients I trust will know how to process them -- which is mostly other professionals in photography or graphics. But then I don't shoot weddings.

Gato

When I got married I specifically looked for a decent photographer that would give me the RAW files. It was a beach-front wedding and the reception was in the beach-front house - basically a 3-hour shoot.  I did have to explain and convince the photographer that I was a former full-time pro with decades of high-end PS experience and was not interested unless I could have the RAW files - and found one. I would guess that is pretty rare and I was fortunate to have hit pay dirt.  I did my own post-processing to my exact liking.

Mike

-- hide signature --

The one thing everyone can agree on is that film photography has its negatives. It even has its positives and internegatives.

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +29 more

Michael Firstlight wrote:

Gato Amarillo wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

Gato

When I got married I specifically looked for a decent photographer that would give me the RAW files. It was a beach-front wedding and the reception was in the beach-front house - basically a 3-hour shoot. I did have to explain and convince the photographer that I was a former full-time pro with decades of high-end PS experience and was not interested unless I could have the RAW files - and found one. I would guess that is pretty rare and I was fortunate to have hit pay dirt. I did my own post-processing to my exact liking.

Mike

Sounds like some of the people I work with. I work with about three social media personalities who are very adept with Photoshop and know how to get the kind of look they want. They need a lot of photos from a session but are usually on a tight budget. I don't mind shooting a lot, but I don't enjoy sitting at the computer, even when it pays. So it works for all of us.

Gato

-- hide signature --

Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 1,458
Wedding photography is a scam

InkedMarie wrote:

Marie

Exactly. PRO photographers like to offer the worst service for the highest fee, i see they usually offer low resolution jpegs to clients or just some prints.

Imagine paying top dollar to a guy to shoot at your event using state of the art cameras, and at the end all you're getting is a bunch of two megapixel files and low quality prints, while the "pro" keeps and uses your own images to advertise his business, because obviously he will retain all rights despite the fact that you already paid for the images representing your family.

Is that a bad deal or what?

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,135
I'm not a wedding photographer but...

... I wound't think that this is standard practice. I might shoot such a thing RAW and do editing (that's the way that I like to work) but I consider my edited versions of the photos to be the "product" that I've been hired to produce. I would probably have a contract that stipulate this and not even mention anything about RAW, but if a client really wants that stuff then I would renegotiate and change extra for that...

-- hide signature --
 Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
tbcass

Biggs23 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

In all honesty what value are the RAW photos to you? At the prices you wedding photographers charge giving the RAW photos to the client is the least you should do.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass
Re: I'm not a wedding photographer but...

Aaron801 wrote:

... I wound't think that this is standard practice. I might shoot such a thing RAW and do editing (that's the way that I like to work) but I consider my edited versions of the photos to be the "product" that I've been hired to produce. I would probably have a contract that stipulate this and not even mention anything about RAW, but if a client really wants that stuff then I would renegotiate and change extra for that...

Why charge extra? It's no extra work or effort. Once the wedding is over what value are the RAW files to the photographer? If they want to keep them just make copies to give to the client. It just seems like a scam to me.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Shadowsurfer
Shadowsurfer Contributing Member • Posts: 696
Vision

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

When I did professional theatrical photography I delivered a product in the form of prints, that I decided or my client decided, were what was wanted. No way would I let the negatives out of my hands to  let others print. The "performance" of the printing process is sometimes more important than the data on the negative.

With Raw it is no different. The Raw files are a base from which I work. I do not want anybody alse messing with the post processing of my Raw files, outputting images that are not consonant with my taste and vision.

I believe most wedding photographers consign a finished album of pictures, and/or a set of PP images on CD. This is the service you are paying for, not the idle act of tripping the shutter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads