Pro Photographers - Photoshoot Workflow and Aspect Ratios

Started 5 months ago | Questions
rawhues New Member • Posts: 22
Pro Photographers - Photoshoot Workflow and Aspect Ratios

Hey Guys,

I’ve been watching tutorials of photographers on youtube during their portrait sessions and noticed that they use up most of their frame in the composition of their shot with little space to crop for certain aspect ratios.

I’ve just been curious towards their thought process/workflow behind this.  I’m assuming they do this as they will mainly be using it on their portfolio on their websites where it would be best for full res? For some it looks like they shoot for full 3:2 aspect ratio, but what about if their client uses the image on certain platforms on social media such as instagram where the aspect ratio is 4x5 or if the client will be printing it for a specific aspect ratio?  Do they do a particular session for those shots?  I can only imagine where there’s no space from the top to bottom that the image is ruined if their client or they themselves were to post this on a social media platform such as instagram or go for a 4x5 print.  Unless, they intend to use borders for their posts and/or prints.

Just curious behind their thought process/workflow.  Would love to hear your thoughts!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Norm Neely Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
Re: Pro Photographers - Photoshoot Workflow and Aspect Ratios

rawhudsstudios wrote:

Just curious behind their thought process/workflow. Would love to hear your thoughts!

You might get better information from one of these other forums instead of the Beginners Questions Forum.

Pro Digital Talk Forum or Portrait and People Photography Forum

-- hide signature --

Norm

Norm Neely's gear list:Norm Neely's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5DS R
OP rawhues New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Pro Photographers - Photoshoot Workflow and Aspect Ratios

Great thanks!

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,890
Shoot loosely

In my experience, photo editors for publications like to crop a lot, and  will ignore my framing of the image.

While I often recommend that beginners “fill the frame” with their subject, it helps to instead shoot slightly looser to allow for a variety of different crops.

This is also important if you are going to make a standard sized print, since the standard sizes are in different aspect ratios, at least in the US.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
OP rawhues New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Shoot loosely

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your input, appreciate it. 
While I understand shooting loosely, I guess my main thing is why pro photographers teaching their sessions don’t seem to display that.  I’m not questioning their motives/expertise, rather just curious as to what their thought process is when undergoing an actual shoot w/ a client.   I’ve watched so many tutorials/workshops, where there is very little headroom/space between their model that makes me wonder where crop ratio is considered or if that’s just the way the shoot and just use the 3:2 aspect ratio to deliver the photos to their clients.

Some examples of photographers I’ve noticed do this are Daniel Norton, Lindsay Adler, Vanessa Joy, etc… Not putting any shame, as these are photographers I look up to, I just want to understand their thought process!  Haha.

It’s as if they just go for the composition in camera without worrying about the aspect ratio/where the photos will be used (not necessarily saying that they don’t).  While these may be just demos and more focusing on the other aspects such as lighting/posing etc… it makes me wonder what other aspects they consider during their shoot.  I’m sure they take all into consideration.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads