D850 r73 error?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
JustEd New Member • Posts: 6
D850 r73 error?

My d850 absolutely refuses to do anything, other than show me everything in the display panel with an r73 in the bottom right corner. Even the back panel will not show anything. I cannot even change settings on the camera or view photos. Sooooo frustrated as it’s the only night baseball game my son is playing in, and I didn’t bring any backups.🤬🤬🤬

And I cannot find ANY info online, anywhere. Hence, my deferring to the masses here.

Nikon D850 Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP JustEd New Member • Posts: 6
Re: D850 r73 error?

Nevermind. Dead battery, or not enough juice in the one I had in there. It lit the lcd panel just fine though. That’s what was thrown me off. Never again will I leave without backups.

Wafflebird
Wafflebird Regular Member • Posts: 169

Hey Ed sorry to hear about your trouble. I made myself get into the habit of doing two things before I leave to go shoot anything.

1) Top off my battery/batteries.

2) When I am ready to leave I stop and go through my bag/equipment list to make sure that I mentally go through what I will be shooting and ensure that I have all of the equipment I need to do that. I actually go through and basically touch everything, even if I know the 70-200 is in the Nikon pouch I still verify.

Might be a bit over the top but it is what I do.

Also if is has been a while since you have shot the camera in my experience the actual level of the battery in the top LCD does not always represent what you will get out of it shot count performance wise.

Say it has been 3-4 months as an example, since you shot with the camera, it might still show 3/4 battery life left. Once you get out and start shooting however the battery will more rapidly deplete than a camera that was fully charged three days ago that you shot sown to 3/4 battery life that you then pick up and use again.

Again sorry about the issue you experienced with the low battery.

Wafflebird

-- hide signature --

My saying on pictures;
"If you don't take them you won't have them"

Wafflebird's gear list:Wafflebird's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
sarayfoto
sarayfoto Regular Member • Posts: 122

JustEd wrote:

Nevermind. Dead battery, or not enough juice in the one I had in there. It lit the lcd panel just fine though. That’s what was thrown me off. Never again will I leave without backups.

lol, lesson learned.

Good thing is, is nothing wrong with your camera.

Dead/empty battery can trow some of those errors.

I have had issue with battery when was almost empty, showing some errors, and after replacing with fully charged, all is good.

Allways have 3 batteries with me, all the time.

sarayfoto's gear list:sarayfoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D850
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,642

Surprised nobody mentioned that r73 is not an error message but the remaining number of images that can be stored in the buffer.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR +5 more
twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,888

JustEd wrote:

Sorry to hear of your problem.  With my 4 Nikon DSLRs (one of which is a D850) I always make sure the night before a shoot I check the battery level - and I do not look at the LCD top window.  I check the battery info from the menu.  If I need to I top the battery up to 100% but I always make sure I carry a spare in my bag.  When I go sports shooting with 2 cameras I take 2 spares.  For me it's a routine that works very well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads