minimum focus distance with D500 and 80-200 2.8D too long

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
nipprdog Senior Member • Posts: 1,148
minimum focus distance with D500 and 80-200 2.8D too long

Had camera for 3 years, and the lens for over 20.  no problems till today, but it was the first time trying to shoot close with it at the zoo's small butterfly exhibit. manual says the minimum should be 4.9 feet. measured when I got home, and its almost 10 feet. doesn't seem to matter what focus settings I use. my other lenses all shot much closer. any ideas?

Thank you.

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 2,745
Re: minimum focus distance with D500 and 80-200 2.8D too long

nipprdog wrote:

Had camera for 3 years, and the lens for over 20. no problems till today, but it was the first time trying to shoot close with it at the zoo's small butterfly exhibit. manual says the minimum should be 4.9 feet. measured when I got home, and its almost 10 feet. doesn't seem to matter what focus settings I use. my other lenses all shot much closer. any ideas?

Thank you.

Might have you switched the focus limiter?

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +27 more
OP nipprdog Senior Member • Posts: 1,148

Wahrsager wrote:

nipprdog wrote:

Had camera for 3 years, and the lens for over 20. no problems till today, but it was the first time trying to shoot close with it at the zoo's small butterfly exhibit. manual says the minimum should be 4.9 feet. measured when I got home, and its almost 10 feet. doesn't seem to matter what focus settings I use. my other lenses all shot much closer. any ideas?

Thank you.

Might have you switched the focus limiter?

No, but thanks for replying. figured it out, and ready to post the answer.

OP nipprdog Senior Member • Posts: 1,148

after looking at the dial on top of the lens that shows the feet/meter focus distance, and putting it in manual focus, the minimum is 9-10 feet. I will try to confirm that next week, but for now, nothing wrong.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads