canon 5d iv exposure meter double valued

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Judy04 New Member • Posts: 7
canon 5d iv exposure meter double valued

Sometimes I get two values for the exposure ie  needles pointing two different values when I hold the exposure button down half way.    One is blinking.

-- hide signature --

judybrownphotography.com

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 19,298
Re: canon 5d iv exposure meter double valued

It might be an indication of out of range, for example, it is too bright, you are in a fixed shutter speed mode, and the lens cannot close too much.

canon5dsquared Regular Member • Posts: 458

Judy04 wrote:

Sometimes I get two values for the exposure ie needles pointing two different values when I hold the exposure button down half way. One is blinking.

Do you have a photo of how this displays in your viewfinder/on your camera screen?

canon5dsquared's gear list:canon5dsquared's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +8 more
OP Judy04 New Member • Posts: 7

Actually I figured out what's happening.   I shoot manual with one autofocus point.   So it gives me a stationary "read" (position of the meter indicator) for the settings I choose for that point.   Then if I move the viewfinder around it shows a "realtime" exposure reading for whatever position my one focus point is on with that manual setting as I move it to check other points on the object photographed.

canon5dsquared Regular Member • Posts: 458

Judy04 wrote:

Actually I figured out what's happening. I shoot manual with one autofocus point. So it gives me a stationary "read" (position of the meter indicator) for the settings I choose for that point. Then if I move the viewfinder around it shows a "realtime" exposure reading for whatever position my one focus point is on with that manual setting as I move it to check other points on the object photographed.

Very interesting. I didn't know the 5DIV could be set that way.

canon5dsquared's gear list:canon5dsquared's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads