My Film mistakes!!!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
photoholiko Veteran Member • Posts: 3,161
My Film mistakes!!!

First let me show you the equipment I used. I want to say that it performed well, it's just the slide I was copying weren't good.

Correction, Cannon 50mm/f1.4

I scanned some slides taken some years ago and was shocked by how bad they were. I used good equipment at the time which means it was mostly my fault.

Mistake #1;

In 1973 my second daughter was born. I was excited to find some Ansco 800ASAfilm which was to give me proper exposure. The results of this ounce in a life type photo shoot turned out to be garbage. Under exposed and very grainy. I felt so bad that my wife felt sorry for me and refrained from criticizing me.

Mistake #2;

A few years later I went on an extended trip to Europe, i thought I would use a European film (Agfachrome) The equipment was Cannon F1 and Vivitar 70-210/f2.8. Apart from my out of focus and under exposure, the slides had a purple cast to them, granted the weather wasn't always good but still. The only salvation is for me to convert them to B&W.

Some Samples.

Amsterdam

Lubeck, Germany.

Netherlands

Thanks for looking, comments are welcome!

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +34 more
Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,940
Re: My Film mistakes!!!

If you could consistently reproduce the colours in the last three people would pay good money for it. Reminds me a bit of Lomo Metropolis https://shop.lomography.com/en/lomochrome-metropolis-film-35mm-5pack but more saturated

OP photoholiko Veteran Member • Posts: 3,161

Thanks, I may try that film because I was planning to shoot a couple of rolls (Fuji & Kodak) just to compare. I'll be posting some.

Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +34 more
Re: Lomochrome-Metropolis

I take that back, I don't think I want to spend $64 on it, but I would like to try out though.

Overrank

Yes, I don’t think Lomography got rich by undercharging for film ! That’s the price for five rolls though surely ? It’s £13.50 a roll here in the U.k.

I would buy a single roll if it was available in the U.S.

Overrank

photoholiko wrote:

I would buy a single roll if it was available in the U.S.

B&H have got single rolls - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1624936-REG/lomography_f236mpolis_lomochrome_metropolis_135_film.html

Thank you, I'll get some.

blåland Contributing Member • Posts: 568

I'd upgrade to FD 50mm f/3.5 macro for better edge sharpness.

blåland's gear list:blåland's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 29,617

In fact, your scans were made with a Sony A7, not with the Canon shown in the picture.

Don't give up on recovering those slides. As your processing skills improve, you will find you can get much better results, without necessarily having to reduce the images to mono. Of course some are truly incurable, but most are curable.

What software are you using ?

Don Cox

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp

I have managed to save some but as you said, some are just not curable. I'm using Picasa-3.

Yes I noticed the edges, I have a Nikkor 55/2.8 Macro I could adapt. I have more slides to scan, I'll try that.

Thanks.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 29,617

photoholiko wrote:

Yes I noticed the edges, I have a Nikkor 55/2.8 Macro I could adapt. I have more slides to scan, I'll try that.

Thanks.

That's a good lens and should give you sharp copies.

Don

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
blåland Contributing Member • Posts: 568

D Cox wrote:

photoholiko wrote:

Thanks.

That's a good lens and should give you sharp copies.

Don

Yes that should be a great improvement.

blåland's gear list:blåland's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads