Is something wrong with the lens??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Okky Forum Member • Posts: 88
Is something wrong with the lens??

Hello all,

I have a d500 + a brand new Samyang 14mm xp 2.4. I took some test pictures but I don't know if I am thinking correctly.

Are the pictures soft? I shoot with 5.6 and higher and this lens should be very sharp. Am I expecting too much from this lens??

Can you give me some advice?

Okky's gear list:Okky's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Samyang 135mm F2.0
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Joseph Balson
Joseph Balson Regular Member • Posts: 212
Re: Is something wrong with the lens??

looks normal too me

-- hide signature --

It's just some glass, some silicon and magnesium. It isn't a religion.

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 22,203

If you are shooting through an open door/window only about 2-3 feet from the camera, the door/window could be too close to be within the available depth of field at f5.6 - at the focus distance on the camera lens.

The rest of the image looks reasonably sharp.

If you used AF, over-riding AF to focus a little closer and perhaps shooting at f11/16 could have got the window/door edges sharper.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +27 more
OP Okky Forum Member • Posts: 88

Hi Leonard and Joseph,

I did not thought about that. I will try to same settings outside. Maybe thats the problem.

this is a manuel focus lens and especially bought for the milky way. I will combine it with iptron sky guider pro that I bought yesterday. 
the setup is for my holiday in 4 days to visit a bortle 1 location :).

Nikon D500 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Samyang 135mm F2.0
fpapp
fpapp Senior Member • Posts: 1,105
Looks sharp to me!

N/T

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 +63 more
davescliches Regular Member • Posts: 285
Re: Looks sharp to me!

fpapp wrote:

N/T

The real test of the lens is wide open !!

davescliches's gear list:davescliches's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +1 more
fpapp
fpapp Senior Member • Posts: 1,105

davescliches wrote:

fpapp wrote:

N/T

The real test of the lens is wide open !!

Agreed!

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 +63 more

Do you mean wide open at infinity? How to test it?

IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,506

The image looks quite fine to me, but if you are disappointed in it, it may be caused by heat disturbance shooting from inside across a paved area.

I

Kazmarov Contributing Member • Posts: 992

As your stated use-case is astro-landscape, I suggest you try out some shots in the night sky to make sure everything is as expected.

Not sure what Bortle is your current night sky (you mention going somewhere with Bortle 1 skies - plus you can check here ) and judicious settings will enable you to have a realistic assessment for that application, locate infinity which may not be as marked on the scale as well as practice for your trip. If you have already tested the lens for astro then my apologies!

Kazmarov's gear list:Kazmarov's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D90 Nikon D5500 Canon EOS 60D Nikon D7200 +10 more
Jimusny
Jimusny Senior Member • Posts: 2,089

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

If you are shooting through an open door/window only about 2-3 feet from the camera, the door/window could be too close to be within the available depth of field at f5.6 - at the focus distance on the camera lens.

The rest of the image looks reasonably sharp.

If you used AF, over-riding AF to focus a little closer and perhaps shooting at f11/16 could have got the window/door edges sharper.

I think this lens is only MF.. at least my Rokinon was, which I think is same lens with different name

Jimusny's gear list:Jimusny's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Olympus E-M1 +9 more
davescliches Regular Member • Posts: 285

Okky wrote:

Do you mean wide open at infinity? How to test it?

I test all my lenses wide open at infinity ....... you can't be out of square with infinity !..... and wide open will reveal how well a lens is centered, ie; softness left and right ......

Actually, first shot tilting the camera so the horizon goes from top left to bottom right of the image and then second shot tilting the camera the other way, horizon from bottom left to top right will give you infinity detail into all four corners from the two images ...... you have all four corners for comparison ..... they should all look, equally sharp!!

dave's clichés

davescliches's gear list:davescliches's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +1 more

Hi Dave,

“so the horizon goes from top left to bottom right of the image and then second shot tilting the camera the other way, horizon from bottom left to top right”.

I dont understand this? Must I take picture of something and frame that in left top and then take picture again and frame it in right bottom?? Sry for not understanding..

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,539

Okky wrote:

Hi Dave,

“so the horizon goes from top left to bottom right of the image and then second shot tilting the camera the other way, horizon from bottom left to top right”.

I dont understand this? Must I take picture of something and frame that in left top and then take picture again and frame it in right bottom?? Sry for not understanding..

Tilt the camera. Then the horizon will be on a diagonal. Repeat by tilting the other way around.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads