Pixel camera over rated ? (compared to Lumia 950XL)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
vaughanB
vaughanB Veteran Member • Posts: 3,473
Pixel camera over rated ? (compared to Lumia 950XL)

I have had to move to an Android based Google Pixel 3A XL from my old faithful Microsoft Lumia 950XL Windows phone, the OS has just been abandoned and I had no choice, the Pixel is great, but the Lumia camera is way better IMO, I also love the 2 stage (half press to focus) dedicated shutter button on the old Lumia  (yes I know you can double press the power button on the Pixel to launch the camera, but its still not as good)

I can prove it, and I will post some comparisons later, but the Lumia is just better, sharper, nicer colours, but I will have to make do with the Pixel as everything else works. You cant blame user error with these devices because they are pretty idiot proof

I always thought the 2015 Lumia was good and this has just confirmed it, I will keep it as a spare just for the camera

-- hide signature --

I think it unlikely that I will ever buy another brand new camera

Groot Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: Pixel camera over rated ? (compared to Lumia 950XL)

I have the Lumia 950 XL here.. It performed better than my old LG V30, but when I installed gcam , the V30 was superior. Since gcam is basically the pixel camera app and software, I find it hard to believe the Lumia is better than the pixel.

In daylight maybe, but in artificial light and low light I Don't think the Lumia stands a chance.

But I'm open to see samples of course. Try daylight and low light

Patrick T. Kelly Veteran Member • Posts: 4,447

I don't even care. I'm happy with my current phone camera. But I was happy with my Pixel cameras, too, and my Huawei p30 pro. Ah, but my YashicaMat from 1962. Now, there was a camera. I post some pictures later to prove it.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

vaughanB
OP vaughanB Veteran Member • Posts: 3,473
This is garbage, mushy, no detail

I shot this with the Pixel this morning and its garbage, I will post the same shot from the Lumia tomorrow both shot at the same time, same conditions, this is just not very good, its acceptable on a small screen maybe, I was shocked how bad it is, and dont tell me its user error, there is nothing other than composition and lighting with these cameras, as I say, I will post the same shot with the Lumia

-- hide signature --

vaughanB
I thought the Pixel would trash a 2015 Lumia but..........

Groot wrote:

I have the Lumia 950 XL here.. It performed better than my old LG V30, but when I installed gcam , the V30 was superior. Since gcam is basically the pixel camera app and software, I find it hard to believe the Lumia is better than the pixel.

In daylight maybe, but in artificial light and low light I Don't think the Lumia stands a chance.

Its close, but I still say the Lumia has nicer OOC results see here, I will do some low light shots next, I just feel that for all the hype, the Pixel really isnt as good as I expected and the 2015 Lumia can equal or better it in most situations

PIXEL 3A XL

LUMIA 950XL (2015)

-- hide signature --

vaughanB
Its close, but the Lumia is at least as good see here

PIXEL

LUMIA

-- hide signature --

Droo Regular Member • Posts: 225

I think you are correct. The Pixel hardware is nothing extraordinary and has stagnated for years now. Their processing is less bad than most other manufacturers, which seems to have tricked people into thinking there is some magic happening, but there is really nothing special about it.

Groot Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: I thought the Pixel would trash a 2015 Lumia but..........

I agree, daylight photos look better on the Lumia.

Pixel has slightly better dynamic range and the tree on the far left looks better, but the overall photo looks better on the Lumia.

Now low light

vaughanB

Groot wrote:

I agree, daylight photos look better on the Lumia.

Pixel has slightly better dynamic range and the tree on the far left looks better, but the overall photo looks better on the Lumia.

Now low light

Bear in mind that this Lumia was released in 2015 and IMO was far ahead of most other smartphones back then BUT the reviewers trashed it and also spread stories about no Apps which was untrue but became a self fullfilling prophecy as time went on, The Lumia 950XL also had a two stage dedicated shutter button and a micro SD expansion as well as a user replaceable battery, but there was something going on and Windows phone failed in the market, the review on this site was just plain wrong !!, I never take any notice of reviews, just use them for specs

I loved Windows phones, Android OS is 10GB, Windows was less than 1GB so could do just the same thing with far less powerful hardware

-- hide signature --

vaughanB

Droo wrote:

I think you are correct. The Pixel hardware is nothing extraordinary and has stagnated for years now. Their processing is less bad than most other manufacturers, which seems to have tricked people into thinking there is some magic happening, but there is really nothing special about it.

There was nothing wrong with the Widows OS or the hardware, it was great with huge potential but it was trashed by the critics (the 950XL review here was just wrong), I am really disappointed with the Pixel, to read the reviews I expected huge advances over my 2015 Lumia when infact the Pixel just about matches it and often falls behind, not very impressed!!  Its OK but not better than the Lumia at all

-- hide signature --

PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,920

Lumia has better, bigger sensor, but Pixel has superior compuational processing. Apples to oranges.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +3 more
vaughanB

PhotoFactor wrote:

Lumia has better, bigger sensor, but Pixel has superior compuational processing. Apples to oranges.

I have yet to see evidence of the superior computational processing, but when I see it I will let you know

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly Veteran Member • Posts: 4,447

vaughanB wrote:

PhotoFactor wrote:

I have yet to see evidence of the superior computational processing, but when I see it I will let you know

Go to any YouTube video demonstrating Night Mode

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

vaughanB

Patrick T. Kelly wrote:

vaughanB wrote:

PhotoFactor wrote:

Its almost dark here, I will do a comparison between the Pixel using night mode and the old Lumia, I think you will be surprised

-- hide signature --

PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,920

vaughanB wrote:

Patrick T. Kelly wrote:

vaughanB wrote:

PhotoFactor wrote:

Its almost dark here, I will do a comparison between the Pixel using night mode and the old Lumia, I think you will be surprised

Here's a Milky Way shot from a Pixel 4a5g, only adjusted for WB and levels. It's certainly not an excellent shot, but given the subject, pretty impressive from a cell camera.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +3 more
vaughanB

Patrick T. Kelly wrote:

vaughanB wrote:

PhotoFactor wrote:

OK I agree, the Pixel wins in low light, I prefer the Lumia in daylight though

-- hide signature --

Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 635

vaughanB wrote:

Groot wrote:

I have the Lumia 950 XL here.. It performed better than my old LG V30, but when I installed gcam , the V30 was superior.

I had both and tested milions of gcam versions. V30 never was close to Lumia and night photos really suck, even with gcam. If You have still Lumia - take some shots vs Mi 11 Ultra - You can be suprised 😁

Since gcam is basically the pixel camera app and software, I find it hard to believe the Lumia is better than the pixel.

It's better than 99% current phones, including pixels, all iphones etc. This photos talk for themseleves

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4532863

Yes, night photograpy has been highly refined in new phones, especially in Huawei, so Lumia can't be rival to today phones, but daylight processing is still top notch.

Its close, but I still say the Lumia has nicer OOC results see here, I will do some low light shots next, I just feel that for all the hype, the Pixel really isnt as good as I expected and the 2015 Lumia can equal or better it in most situations

PIXEL 3A XL

LUMIA 950XL (2015)

In my opinion it's not close. When i view both photos on 32" monitor, difference is big. Lumia easy win, photo looks like taken from "normal" camera, pixel processing still looks like "phone" camera.

Panino Manino
Panino Manino Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Re: Its close, but the Lumia is at least as good see here

Something seems fish, both looks much worse than I was expecting.

vaughanB

Drzewoid wrote:

PIXEL 3A XL

LUMIA 950XL (2015)

In my opinion it's not close. When i view both photos on 32" monitor, difference is big. Lumia easy win, photo looks like taken from "normal" camera, pixel processing still looks like "phone" camera.

Thank you!!!! for daytime photos the Lumia is king even today and 99% of photos are taken in the daylight so that really matters, yes I agree the Pixel is better whwn it gets dark, but most of the time the Lumia does better, I just wish I could keep using it

-- hide signature --

vaughanB
Re: Its close, but the Lumia is at least as good see here

Panino Manino wrote:

Something seems fish, both looks much worse than I was expecting.

Its simple, for daytime photos, the Pixel is not even as good as the best phones from 2015, at night it can use software tricks, but the daytime shots are never amazing like the reviews tell us, its all hype

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads