3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
landscaper1
OP landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,092
Re: 3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?
1

bernie r wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

bernie r wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

Has anyone seen a battery grip for the R5 from a 3rd party source? There's just no way I'm going to spend $300+ for a Canon R5 battery grip.

Might sound a little harsh but dude, you spent $4K on a camera, buy the battery grip if you want reliability... I also assume you haven't purchased a good CFExpress card either.

Bernie, your equipment list shows you obviously have the means to afford the kind of equipment I can't even afford to dream about ever getting. It might help if I explain a couple of things. First, I'm 75 and living on my monthly SS check. Second, the only reason I could afford the R5 was the $3000 I netted from the sale of my EOS R and 5Dsr.

Finally, my shooting style is very different from most folks. I'm spend more time thinking about my images and best positions than I do shooting. For example, in one shooting session with about 7 other serious photographers I managed to fire off about two dozen images while others mentioned anywhere from 150 to 200 each.

That's fair enough, it does leave me with one question though, why the R5 and not the R6? It would allow you to afford more lenses/'stuff'. I actually very rarely use the battery grip, only for the 500mm.

I got the R5 because I still have an Epson 7800 (24" wide) printer and the higher resolution is more apparent when the print is 24" x 36", 42", 48", and so on. That's why I had a 5Dsr to begin with.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper 1
-----
"Open up your eyes and look around you.
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

 landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D Samyang 35mm F1.4 Epson Stylus Photo R2880 +2 more
landscaper1
OP landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,092
Re: Getting a Grip...

StefanD wrote:

gossamer88 wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

StefanD wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

Thanks to both of the previous respondents for their views. I, however, have always purchased 3rd party grips for my Canon cameras and have never been disappointed by their performance. Yes, I spent $3800 for the R5, but that's because it will be my only FF camera body. Thus, I'll use it all the time. A battery grip, however, is something I only use when on those occasions when I need extended battery life, such as long duration night shots.

If you only need it for extended battery life, wouldn't it make sense to buy a suitable powerbank instead? A powerbank probably offers even more battery life, can be used for other things as well and doesn't add instability that a grip may add when mounted on a tripod.

Now this is an interesting idea. Can you please give me some direction on who makes them and where to find them?

Here is some great info on another photography forum I belong to:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1519188

That link provides a lot of useful information!

A search on the dpreview forum will help too. As far as I know, any powerbank that supports Power Delivery at at least 45W will do the job. Haven't got an R5 myself, so I don't speak from experience.

I do know from experience that using a grip on a tripod isn't helping stability. (Unless of course you're using a tripod ring on a telephoto lens)

O.K. it looks like a power bank is the most sensible solution. Now the question is, "Where do I find the kind of bracket shown that holds the power bank to a tripod and allows the camera body to be mounted above it?

P.S. Amazon sells lots of power banks, but I haven't been able to find any mention of that type of bracket.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper 1
-----
"Open up your eyes and look around you.
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

 landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D Samyang 35mm F1.4 Epson Stylus Photo R2880 +2 more
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,372
Re: 3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

jwpnyc wrote:

I am not saying third-party grip fits R5 better than Canon. But I am saying that it can be improved design-wise. Let's see my 5D grip. I marked with white arrows to show you what I meant.

5D IV

They really paid attention to details. The left side matches the body nicely.

I know I may be too picky. A lot of people simply don't care about it. But I do.

For someone obsessed with details, I see that not consistently fumbling with mounting plates as to not scratch up the base of your cameras is one that eludes.  As is frequent cleaning of this very expensive equipment you possess.

Sorry, just most people I know who are persnickety about this sort of thing also tend to meticulously care for their possessions.  Evidence of which is not on display here.  I'm not criticizing, it just struck me as odd, that's all.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM +19 more
StefanD Contributing Member • Posts: 546
Re: Getting a Grip...
1

No need for a bracket. A rubber band is all you need.

bernie r Contributing Member • Posts: 536
Re: Getting a Grip...

StefanD wrote:

No need for a bracket. A rubber band is all you need.

Grip looks better.

-- hide signature --

Camera:
Canon EOS R5
Canon RF 15-35 2.8
Canon RF 28-70 2
Canon EF 70-200 2.8
Canon RF 85 1.2
Canon EF 500 f/4 L IS II USM + 1.4X III
Other:
Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head
Gitzo GT4543LS Systematic Series 4 Carbon eXact Long Tripod
Benro Mach3 TMA38CL Carbon Fibre Tripod
Benro G3 Ball Head
Canon Speedlite EL-1 Flash
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Flashgun
Gitzo Adventury 45L

StefanD Contributing Member • Posts: 546
Re: Getting a Grip...

bernie r wrote:

StefanD wrote:

No need for a bracket. A rubber band is all you need.

Grip looks better.

It should look better at more than 1000 times the price.

To be honest, I never liked the looks of Canon grips, although I used them on my 5, D30 and 20D. They always look like a bolted-on thing and because of the need to put batteries in them, they are more bulky and less comfortable than the normal grip. (Apart from the VG10 for the 5)

The only vertical grips I really liked were the ones on my 1Ds's.

Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,825
Re: Getting a Grip...

landscaper1 wrote:

StefanD wrote:

gossamer88 wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

StefanD wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

Thanks to both of the previous respondents for their views. I, however, have always purchased 3rd party grips for my Canon cameras and have never been disappointed by their performance. Yes, I spent $3800 for the R5, but that's because it will be my only FF camera body. Thus, I'll use it all the time. A battery grip, however, is something I only use when on those occasions when I need extended battery life, such as long duration night shots.

If you only need it for extended battery life, wouldn't it make sense to buy a suitable powerbank instead? A powerbank probably offers even more battery life, can be used for other things as well and doesn't add instability that a grip may add when mounted on a tripod.

Now this is an interesting idea. Can you please give me some direction on who makes them and where to find them?

Here is some great info on another photography forum I belong to:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1519188

That link provides a lot of useful information!

A search on the dpreview forum will help too. As far as I know, any powerbank that supports Power Delivery at at least 45W will do the job. Haven't got an R5 myself, so I don't speak from experience.

I do know from experience that using a grip on a tripod isn't helping stability. (Unless of course you're using a tripod ring on a telephoto lens)

O.K. it looks like a power bank is the most sensible solution. Now the question is, "Where do I find the kind of bracket shown that holds the power bank to a tripod and allows the camera body to be mounted above it?

Just curious if you actually need an uninterrupted power supply. For extra long timelapses maybe?... Even a single battery lasts for hours with the LCD on. I've never used more than two batteries in the field.

 Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
bernie r Contributing Member • Posts: 536
Re: Getting a Grip...

StefanD wrote:

bernie r wrote:

StefanD wrote:

No need for a bracket. A rubber band is all you need.

Grip looks better.

It should look better at more than 1000 times the price.

To be honest, I never liked the looks of Canon grips, although I used them on my 5, D30 and 20D. They always look like a bolted-on thing and because of the need to put batteries in them, they are more bulky and less comfortable than the normal grip. (Apart from the VG10 for the 5)

The only vertical grips I really liked were the ones on my 1Ds's.

One thing I can't understand is why it doesn't match the body.

-- hide signature --

Camera:
Canon EOS R5
Canon RF 15-35 2.8
Canon RF 28-70 2
Canon EF 70-200 2.8
Canon RF 85 1.2
Canon EF 500 f/4 L IS II USM + 1.4X III
Other:
Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head
Gitzo GT4543LS Systematic Series 4 Carbon eXact Long Tripod
Benro Mach3 TMA38CL Carbon Fibre Tripod
Benro G3 Ball Head
Canon Speedlite EL-1 Flash
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Flashgun
Gitzo Adventury 45L

nokinonacynos Regular Member • Posts: 113
Re: 3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

I know I may be too picky. A lot of people simply don't care about it. But I do.

I don't think you are picky at all. Canon is charging a massive premium for these and they could have down much better with the design. Even the R's grip is much better integrated. I reckon they should look at the R3 and design a grip that is as seamless as possible for the R5. Nikon used to make really nice grips but the one for the Z is diabolical. And their Z is already so ugly.

ThoreauAZ Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: 3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

I once saw a shiny new Porsche 911 Turbo with a Tomtom gps sandbagged on the dashboard....

More on point though, it doesn't sound like a grip is needed in this case, or even a power bank. Then again, I can't imagine multi-hour exposures outside of astro, and that obviously comes with other costly issues (and power issues in that world would easily be fixed going the power bank route.)

I'm still not a fan of the R5 grip either though. It lacks one major thing I liked about the R grip... direct USB C charging input. I don't feel like wearing out the C port that's integral to the R5's mainboard. The R5 grip also doesn't even come with the overpriced PD-1 charger the R grip did.

That said, the R grip plummeted in price eventually, so maybe the R5 one will too some day?

 ThoreauAZ's gear list:ThoreauAZ's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
PicPocket Veteran Member • Posts: 4,939
Re: 3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

ThoreauAZ wrote:

I once saw a shiny new Porsche 911 Turbo with a Tomtom gps sandbagged on the dashboard....

did it work well or are we judging?

-- hide signature --
 PicPocket's gear list:PicPocket's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
ThoreauAZ Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: 3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

PicPocket wrote:

ThoreauAZ wrote:

I once saw a shiny new Porsche 911 Turbo with a Tomtom gps sandbagged on the dashboard....

did it work well or are we judging?

You've clearly never taken a sports car around a corner at any meaningful speed if you're asking if a dashboard gps held in place by a glorified sandbag worked well.

But keep on judging

 ThoreauAZ's gear list:ThoreauAZ's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
PicPocket Veteran Member • Posts: 4,939
Re: 3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

ThoreauAZ wrote:

PicPocket wrote:

ThoreauAZ wrote:

I once saw a shiny new Porsche 911 Turbo with a Tomtom gps sandbagged on the dashboard....

did it work well or are we judging?

You've clearly never taken a sports car around a corner at any meaningful speed if you're asking if a dashboard gps held in place by a glorified sandbag worked well.

But keep on judging

You clearly don't know anything about me. So yes, you are clearly judging, and quite poorly so. I presume the answer to my works question is no? Or you didn't get a chance to test? Was any issue due to it being a tomtom or the fact that it was sand bagged? Trying to put this in context of this thread

-- hide signature --
 PicPocket's gear list:PicPocket's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
Netrunner1987 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: 3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

I got an R6. Great camera, but it eats batteries and I really do enjoy a battery grip for the convince. I did come upon an article that canon patent on universal battery grip... so when when when??

https://www.techradar.com/news/canons-patented-universal-battery-grip-could-be-compatible-with-several-bodies

Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,640
Re: 3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

Netrunner1987 wrote:

I got an R6. Great camera, but it eats batteries and I really do enjoy a battery grip for the convince. I did come upon an article that canon patent on universal battery grip... so when when when??

https://www.techradar.com/news/canons-patented-universal-battery-grip-could-be-compatible-with-several-bodies

Probably not anytime soon, given that article is over a year and a half old.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads