3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,013
3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

Has anyone seen a battery grip for the R5 from a 3rd party source?  There's just no way I'm going to spend $300+ for a Canon R5 battery grip.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper 1
-----
"Open up your eyes and look around you.
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Samyang 35mm F1.4 Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D Epson Stylus Photo R2880 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fab-BZH Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: 3rd Party R5 Battery Grip?

I haven't seen any third party grip at this time for the R5.

Considering the cost of an R5 and the possibility to create error messages on the camera with a accessory that is not certified or 100% compatible with the R5, I bought the genuine grip for my R5. It's perfectly designed and secure, which is exactly what I want : trusting my gear !
I've been putting battery grips since I've been owning a 20D (in 2005) and put a 100-400 on it. I've always bought Canon grips and never had any problem with them. Personnaly I don't want any risk for my cameras.
There are many different third party grip manufacturers, but imagine that you put your camera (with noname grip) on a tripod, with your new marvellous RF 85f/1.2, and the tripod screw of the grip breaks suddenly because of a design flaw... Is it worth to spend half the price in a grip ?

Fab-BZH's gear list:Fab-BZH's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,250
Getting a Grip...

landscaper1 wrote:

Has anyone seen a battery grip for the R5 from a 3rd party source? There's just no way I'm going to spend $300+ for a Canon R5 battery grip.

Hang on there, didn't the EOS R5 cost USD $3,899.00 (AUD $6,899) ??    But there's no way you'll shell out a fraction of this for a genuine Canon accessory you might need?  I'm puzzled by this... but hey, to me that's like buying a Ferrari and not being able to justify the high cost of insurance.  I firmly believe that the EOS R5 price alone was way too expensive to begin with but people justified it.  The R6 is also overpriced although a little easier to accept.
There's no third party adapter from other manufactures that I've heard of yet.  People waited almost a year since release and there's still no alternative and still no reliable supply of the original from Canon themselves.  In fact, I've heard that the safety protocols that Canon implemented for in-grip charging were hard to defeat by 3-rd party cloning companies. * These protocols lower the maximum charge possible if charging the batteries (whilst still in the grip) to prevent heat from building up and damaging the unit from inside - since the final 15-10% of battery charging can cause much higher heat buildup than the first few stages of charging.  I've seen a lot of Error messages from the R5 when using the wrong accessories, lens adapters and even non-Canon lenses in recent weeks.  You will likely risk a problem with non-OEM grips.

BG-E22 and BG-R10 battery grips on my EOS Ra and EOS R6.

Have you considered a Grey Market import?  These are still a Genuine Canon product (and is made to their exacting standards) but may or may not come with the usual warranty?  Often the importer offers to cover the usual warranty period.  I did that when I bought my BG-E22 grip for my EOS Ra and since it's a genuine part it was no problem.  Canon wanted something like Canon was charging over AUD $599 for them and they were rarely in stock when I needed one... I eventually sourced a Grey Market BG-E22, something I have not done before.  It cost me just AUD $279.  That's half the RRP locally.
But when it came to the BG-R10 for my EOS R6, there's still no alternative and I couldn't even source a grey market version since the Canon supply itself was completely throttled.  I bought and paid for mine when I ordered my R6 (prior to release last year) and had to wait a few months before it arrived.  Canon released just 5 (FIVE) BG-R10's to dealers in Australia in time for the September 1 release of the R5 and R6 cameras.  The second and third batches were also quite small in number but took months longer to arrive.
Having been forced to shoot without a grip for months before they arrived, I was surprised had how comfortable the camera was, even with a fairly large or wide, heavy lens on the front.  I prefer a grips on all my cameras but it was still very functional and pleasant to use without one... and a little more portable and definitely lighter.  But if you're like me, you may prefer the larger surface area to grip.  My best suggestion would be to seek out lower prices via a Grey Importer.  I happen to know what quite a lot of Australia's original BG-R10 stock ended up in the USA (with some folks even commenting that they were unable to register the serial numbers on the Canon site and that this was later rectified... but that the paperwork and warranty cards were all marked for the Oceana/Asian-Pacific region.  I'm sure you'll find one AND they're genuine Canon products, only cheaper.  All the best.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
landscaper1
OP landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,013
Re: Getting a Grip...

Thanks to both of the previous respondents for their views. I, however, have always purchased 3rd party grips for my Canon cameras and have never been disappointed by their performance. Yes, I spent $3800 for the R5, but that's because it will be my only FF camera body. Thus, I'll use it all the time. A battery grip, however, is something I only use when on those occasions when I need extended battery life, such as long duration night shots.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper 1
-----
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

Canon EOS R5 Samyang 35mm F1.4 Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D Epson Stylus Photo R2880 +2 more
skotbites
skotbites Forum Member • Posts: 79

I had a 3rd party grip on my 5D3 for years (7ish) no problems and it was a fraction of the price of the canon one.

With my R and R5 I have the official grips and yes they are more expensive but they just feel so much nicer in use that I think it's worth it.

Your money your call...

skotbites's gear list:skotbites's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,294

Fab-BZH wrote:

I haven't seen any third party grip at this time for the R5.

Considering the cost of an R5 and the possibility to create error messages on the camera with a accessory that is not certified or 100% compatible with the R5, I bought the genuine grip for my R5. It's perfectly designed and secure, which is exactly what I want : trusting my gear !
I've been putting battery grips since I've been owning a 20D (in 2005) and put a 100-400 on it. I've always bought Canon grips and never had any problem with them. Personnaly I don't want any risk for my cameras.
There are many different third party grip manufacturers, but imagine that you put your camera (with noname grip) on a tripod, with your new marvellous RF 85f/1.2, and the tripod screw of the grip breaks suddenly because of a design flaw... Is it worth to spend half the price in a grip ?

I've used 3rd party grips on my 7D II and 80D, never had a problem at all. I've only used ones, however, that were already favorably reviewed. I am using a 3rd party EF-RF adapter (Vitrox) and have had no problems.

That said, at the moment there are no 3rd party grips available for the R5 or R6.

jwpnyc Forum Member • Posts: 64

I bought Canon battery grip and think Canon can do better although the grip function perfectly. The grip doesn’t fit the body too well.

jwpnyc's gear list:jwpnyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +2 more
gossamer88
gossamer88 Contributing Member • Posts: 584

jwpnyc wrote:

I bought Canon battery grip and think Canon can do better although the grip function perfectly. The grip doesn’t fit the body too well.

Yikes that's the 1st time I've heard this! If Canon can't get it right...then a 3rd-party wouldn't either LOL

gossamer88's gear list:gossamer88's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +7 more
StefanD Contributing Member • Posts: 544

landscaper1 wrote:

Thanks to both of the previous respondents for their views. I, however, have always purchased 3rd party grips for my Canon cameras and have never been disappointed by their performance. Yes, I spent $3800 for the R5, but that's because it will be my only FF camera body. Thus, I'll use it all the time. A battery grip, however, is something I only use when on those occasions when I need extended battery life, such as long duration night shots.

If you only need it for extended battery life, wouldn't it make sense to buy a suitable powerbank instead? A powerbank probably offers even more battery life, can be used for other things as well and doesn't add instability that a grip may add when mounted on a tripod.

RDKirk Forum Pro • Posts: 16,093
Sympathy

landscaper1 wrote:

Has anyone seen a battery grip for the R5 from a 3rd party source? There's just no way I'm going to spend $300+ for a Canon R5 battery grip.

I sympathize with you. I was always willing to pay the price for a genuine OEM grip when the OEM grips were made of magnesium and the third-party grips were polycarbonate.

But the OEM grips for my EOS R cameras are just polycarbonate as well, so I grimaced hard shelling out that money...and only because there were no third-party grips available. Comparing them closely to third-party grips available for other cameras, I see no advantages.

But I see third-party grips are available for the EOS R now. Considering that the EOS R5 and R6 use the same grip and that they are both hot sellers, I have to expect a third-party grip for them should come long soon.

-- hide signature --

RDKirk
'TANSTAAFL: The only unbreakable rule in photography.'

RDKirk's gear list:RDKirk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +7 more
Mark B.

gossamer88 wrote:

jwpnyc wrote:

Yikes that's the 1st time I've heard this! If Canon can't get it right...then a 3rd-party wouldn't either LOL

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from a sample size of 1.  Could mean anything.  Or nothing.

jwpnyc Forum Member • Posts: 64

I am not saying third-party grip fits R5 better than Canon. But I am saying that it can be improved design-wise. Let's see my 5D grip. I marked with white arrows to show you what I meant.

5D IV

They really paid attention to details. The left side matches the body nicely.

So is the right side.

They really paid attention to details.

Now, comparing to R5 grip. The left side is not even lined up with the camera body correctly.

The right side corner doesn't match the body. It leaves some space in between.

I know I may be too picky. A lot of people simply don't care about it. But I do.

jwpnyc's gear list:jwpnyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Morvegil
Morvegil Contributing Member • Posts: 888

yeah thats picky

-- hide signature --

Only pros shoot with Canon.

Morvegil's gear list:Morvegil's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 100mm F2.8L
landscaper1

StefanD wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

If you only need it for extended battery life, wouldn't it make sense to buy a suitable powerbank instead? A powerbank probably offers even more battery life, can be used for other things as well and doesn't add instability that a grip may add when mounted on a tripod.

Now this is an interesting idea. Can you please give me some direction on who makes them and where to find them?

-- hide signature --

Landscaper 1
-----

bernie r Contributing Member • Posts: 534

landscaper1 wrote:

Might sound a little harsh but dude, you spent $4K on a camera, buy the battery grip if you want reliability... I also assume you haven't purchased a good CFExpress card either.

-- hide signature --

Camera:
Canon EOS R5
Canon RF 15-35 2.8
Canon RF 28-70 2
Canon EF 70-200 2.8
Canon RF 85 1.2
Canon EF 500 f/4 L IS II USM + 1.4X III
Other:
Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head
Gitzo GT4543LS Systematic Series 4 Carbon eXact Long Tripod
Benro Mach3 TMA38CL Carbon Fibre Tripod
Benro G3 Ball Head
Canon Speedlite EL-1 Flash
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Flashgun
Gitzo Adventury 45L

gossamer88
gossamer88 Contributing Member • Posts: 584

landscaper1 wrote:

StefanD wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

Now this is an interesting idea. Can you please give me some direction on who makes them and where to find them?

Here is some great info on another photography forum I belong to:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1519188

gossamer88's gear list:gossamer88's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +7 more
Mark B.

gossamer88 wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

StefanD wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

I guess that's ok if you're going to be tripod mounted so there's a way to secure the power bank.  Otherwise if mobile I personally would find it to be a real pain to have to carry an externally tethered powerbank.

StefanD Contributing Member • Posts: 544

gossamer88 wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

StefanD wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

That link provides a lot of useful information!

A search on the dpreview forum will help too. As far as I know, any powerbank that supports Power Delivery at at least 45W will do the job. Haven't got an R5 myself, so I don't speak from experience.

I do know from experience that using a grip on a tripod isn't helping stability. (Unless of course you're using a tripod ring on a telephoto lens)

landscaper1

bernie r wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

Might sound a little harsh but dude, you spent $4K on a camera, buy the battery grip if you want reliability... I also assume you haven't purchased a good CFExpress card either.

Bernie, your equipment list shows you obviously have the means to afford the kind of equipment I can't even afford to dream about ever getting. It might help if I explain a couple of things. First, I'm 75 and living on my monthly SS check. Second, the only reason I could afford the R5 was the $3000 I netted from the sale of my EOS R and 5Dsr.

Finally, my shooting style is very different from most folks. I'm spend more time thinking about my images and best positions than I do shooting. For example, in one shooting session with about 7 other serious photographers I managed to fire off about two dozen images while others mentioned anywhere from 150 to 200 each.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper 1
-----

bernie r Contributing Member • Posts: 534

landscaper1 wrote:

bernie r wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

Bernie, your equipment list shows you obviously have the means to afford the kind of equipment I can't even afford to dream about ever getting. It might help if I explain a couple of things. First, I'm 75 and living on my monthly SS check. Second, the only reason I could afford the R5 was the $3000 I netted from the sale of my EOS R and 5Dsr.

Finally, my shooting style is very different from most folks. I'm spend more time thinking about my images and best positions than I do shooting. For example, in one shooting session with about 7 other serious photographers I managed to fire off about two dozen images while others mentioned anywhere from 150 to 200 each.

That's fair enough, it does leave me with one question though, why the R5 and not the R6? It would allow you to afford more lenses/'stuff'. I actually very rarely use the battery grip, only for the 500mm.

-- hide signature --

Camera:
Canon EOS R5
Canon RF 15-35 2.8
Canon RF 28-70 2
Canon EF 70-200 2.8
Canon RF 85 1.2
Canon EF 500 f/4 L IS II USM + 1.4X III
Other:
Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head
Gitzo GT4543LS Systematic Series 4 Carbon eXact Long Tripod
Benro Mach3 TMA38CL Carbon Fibre Tripod